Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still amazing that the wing position is still considered the Internet Explorer of positions - the one you go through in order to get a better one.

Yeah, it's pretty sad. You get a lot of dangerous wingers being moved into the centres to get "more ball", which seems to weaken both the winger AND the centre positions, as these players tend to hog the ball a lot more. There are still a few gun wingers and even more gun wingers playing in other positions. If they all played on the wing, it might not be viewed so unfavorably.

Brisbane forward Sam Thaiday has six weeks to save his career at the Broncos with contract talks on hold

QUEENSLAND Origin star Sam Thaiday has six weeks to save his career at the Broncos.

In the wake of Friday night’s Queensland derby, The Sunday Mail can reveal Broncos management have put contract talks on hold with Thaiday until the end of April to assess his form.
That gives Thaiday another five games — against the Warriors, Titans, Roosters, Dragons and Parramatta — to convince Broncos coach Wayne Bennett whether to launch formal negotiations.
Broncos recruitment chief Peter Nolan is largely responsible for Brisbane’s list and contract management.

But such is the delicate nature of Thaiday’s situation, given his gravitas at the club as an Origin and Test player, Bennett will be actively involved in the contract-negotiation process.
Thaiday is off-contract at season’s end and his preference is to finish his career at the Broncos. But Bennett has opted to suspend talks until he can better appraise Thaiday’s form after he was dropped to the bench following an ill-disciplined display in their season-opening loss to Souths.
Thaiday hit back with an outstanding performance off interchange against the Sharks, underlining his commitment to securing his future at Red Hill.

Bennett declined to comment yesterday but The Sunday Mail understands the period leading up to Origin I will largely dictate whether Thaiday receives a formal offer for 2016 and beyond.
Thaiday’s manager George Mimis confirmed he had yet to open talks with Brisbane hierarchy as Bennett closely monitors the player he graded as an 18-year-old in 2003.
“We haven’t commenced any formal discussions around Sam,” Mimis said.
“It’s only Round 3, so we’ll aim to start discussions over the next month or so.
“There’s no rush, it’s early days. Sam is a quality player, he is always going to be in-demand and ideally he would like to stay as part of the Broncos and that’s what we’ll try to achieve.
“We haven’t gone about procuring interest — Sam is focusing on his football at the Broncos.”
Thaiday has been linked with a possible move to the Titans, but it understood Brisbane’s southeast Queensland rivals are more interested in quality outside backs.

A veteran of 211 NRL games, Thaiday has been magnificent for the Broncos since his 2003 debut, but Bennett is concerned about some bad habits that have crept into his game.
On the field, Thaiday has leaked penalties at crucial times.
Off it, Bennett has spoken to Thaiday about the importance of diet as he approaches his 30th birthday after blowing out to 118kg last summer.
Broncos half-back Ben Hunt urged the club to hand Thaiday a new contract, saying the Test enforcer represents the heart-and-soul of the playing group.
“I really hope they re-sign him,” Hunt said.
“Sam has been here for as long as I can remember, he’s been great for a long period of time, so no-one really wants to see him leave.
“Sam will accept what’s happened and keep playing his best football possible for us. Hopefully he doesn’t take it (his demotion) too tough and gets back to his best.”

Broncos centre Jack Reed said Thaiday had not let his relegation affect the playing group.
“Internally, he’s handled it really well,” Reed said.
“He knows what he has to do, even though he is an Origin player, he came off the bench (against Cronulla) and showed what he does bring with his attitude.”

Off it, Bennett has spoken to Thaiday about the importance of diet as he approaches his 30th birthday after blowing out to 118kg last summer.

Wow...

As much as I love Sam and what he's done for the Broncos & Queensland.. I can't see it being greatly beneficial for us to be his retirement home.

I for one think it'd be cool seeing him have a couple of last seasons at the Titans, maybe have a crack at a premiership with DCE & co.

Thaiday knew months and months before the season opener that WB was coming and yet, he allows himself to blow out to 118 kgs. I think that is indicative of his comfort level, he just couldn't be bothered. Both WB and myself saw first hand just how ordinary Thaiday had become when Newcastle played Brisbane at Suncorp in 2013. Thaiday was dreadful, conceding penalties, arguing with refs, sent to the bin and ultimately contributing heavily to the Broncos tumbling out of the final series race. Thaiday will need a few MOMs to save his job.

Thaiday knew months and months before the season opener that WB was coming and yet, he allows himself to blow out to 118 kgs. I think that is indicative of his comfort level, he just couldn't be bothered. Both WB and myself saw first hand just how ordinary Thaiday had become when Newcastle played Brisbane at Suncorp in 2013. Thaiday was dreadful, conceding penalties, arguing with refs, sent to the bin and ultimately contributing heavily to the Broncos tumbling out of the final series race. Thaiday will need a few MOMs to save his job.

I have to agree. Which is why even if he does perform well and get a new contract, there's every chance he'll just go back to those same patterns.

No no one can deny how much effort he puts in to community work - is it petty of me to think that perhaps his "deadly choices" message is somewhat watered down by his laziness and, let's be honest, poor choices in his professional career? It's nowhere near the levels of, say, alcohol or domestic abuse, but still, he's telling his mate to eat a mandarin in the ad, you could be forgiven for imagining Thaiday tucking in to a chocolate donut off-camera. So maybe that's an avenue to get him to pick up his game professionally and for the long term - deadly choices Sammy, show us all it is achievable.

Apparently Daniel Tupou is likely to leave the roosters due to salary cap issues.... what do we think about him?

Apparently Daniel Tupou is likely to leave the roosters due to salary cap issues.... what do we think about him?

Well I've always wanted someone that could jump like Folau because we seem to put up so many high kicks so I would love to have him.

Price permitting, I'd take him at the Broncos.
I've never been that rapt on him, but he is an upgrade on our current options.

Inclined to think he's asking more that we'd like if Uncle Nick can't squeeze him in though. Origin rep and all that jazz.

Price permitting, I'd take him at the Broncos.
I've never been that rapt on him, but he is an upgrade on our current options.

Inclined to think he's asking more that we'd like if Uncle Nick can't squeeze him in though. Origin rep and all that jazz.

Yeah and the great thing for the roosters is with the cap space he frees up they will be able to sign izzy and all the burgi

Can we sign Jorge Taufua if he gets the sack from Manly? I rate him

Only if he starts pronouncing his name correctly. It's hoar-hay goddamnit, none of this George bullshit.

Only if he starts pronouncing his name correctly. It's hoar-hay goddamnit, none of this George bullshit.

Too right. Though my preference is to emphasise the pronunciation more so it sounds like he's a promiscuous pile of straw.

I'd take him. As far as wingers who base their game on power go, he's up there.

I doubt he'll get sacked though, sounds like Loko was being an asshat and Jorge was trying to settle him down.

I hate powerful wingers, just give me a real fast **** who wont drop the ball plz.

Could we make a play for Daniel Tupou from the Roosters or Jason Nightingale from the Dragons? Why not both :takdir:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Muros
  • Mick_Hancock
  • BroncsNBundy
  • marw
  • maddo
  • Bucking Beads
  • jarro65
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Jedhead
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.