Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd honestly be keen as to have him, as long as he isn't asking for some ridiculous money, start him and McGuire at prop and shift Blair to the second row. (Where he was in the best form of his career @ Melbourne)

I think that Tallis is trying to get Thaiday to the Titans. His "ambassador role" has seen him kiss Sam's arse publicly, "He's been one of their best for ages, they're disrespecting him, etc". The next move would be "Come to the Titans where we're rebuilding for the future, you'd be a marquee player and treated with the respect a Maroon & International deserves". Meanwhile, his ego is inflated so much that he starts to believe that he doesn't have those weaknesses in his game, and won't think he needs to work on them. If that's the case, enjoy your time with him Titans.

I think that I'll end up happy regardless of whether Thaiday stays and goes. If he stays for less, it affirms that he's not in it for the money, he's in it for the love of the club. And that Bennett wouldn't want him here unless his deficiencies are addressed, improved, and he performs consistently. If he goes, good riddance. Take the cash, and the pats on the back, and ease in to retirement getting fatter and lazier.

I'd honestly be keen as to have him, as long as he isn't asking for some ridiculous money, start him and McGuire at prop and shift Blair to the second row. (Where he was in the best form of his career @ Melbourne)

We have enough 2nd rowers, so much so that we are probably losing one or both of Thaiday and Glenn. Blair has shown he can play well at prop and it appears he's helped to shore up our ruck defence so far this season. Yeah he's not the biggest guy (however taller than both McGuire and Myles) and the Cowboys pack was very poor but I don't see the point in moving him out wider where he can potentially slack off worse. Besides Myles is the same age as Blair and we don't want/need another 30+yo in the side. I posted elsewhere that I think Myles is quite overrated. He's a consistently solid player, but not much more. And that won't change the older he gets.

We need to focus on retention of our necessary off-contracts and having the cash to bring in Gagai etc and whoever else Wayne sees fit (but not Beau Scott. **** that piece of shit)

Besides Myles is the same age as Blair and we don't want/need another 30+yo in the side.

We're aiming to win a premiership in 2016/17, props are usually in their prime between 26-32 or so, so age isn't an issue, it'll only be a 2 year contract, if we do go down that road.

I stand by the fact that I think we need 1 more rep level Prop to really make a run.

I've read numerous comments on an NRL FB group from someone who knows Alex Glenn personally that he apparently is in the process of re-signing. For what its worth, the guy seems to be legit, but I guess we will know in the future.

That tweet today was confusing, like it was a done deal that he had left because he was a "fringe" player which is ridiculous because everything Bennett has done so far would suggest he rates him highly.

I hope pen is put to paper soon, I'd hate to see Kahu line up for anyone else.
I'm a huge fan and see him having a spot in our team for years to come.

I still want Gagai every day of the week, they're different type of talents, and Gagai is also one of our juniors! I don't buy this bullshit about Gagai pushing Kahu out. Wing is as important as any position.

1. Boyd/Kahu
2. Gagai
3. Kahu
4. Hodges
5. Copley
6. Milford
7. Hunt

Jayden at centre? Who knows.

The great thing with that back line is besides Hodges (he's no winger) our 1-5 can legitimately be excellent in any of those positions (as long as Copley improves under the high ball).

Milford aside, that's all our juniors and all good to great players. That's exactly what you want to see as a fan.

Apparently Cameron McInnes is looking to leave the Rabbitohs in hopes of finding a starting hooker role somewhere.. can't say I've seen a lot of him, but a lot of people think he's very, very good.

(Only bringing this up in case Wayne decides not to re-sign McCullough)

Last edited:
Apparently Cameron McInnes is looking to leave the Rabbitohs in hopes of finding a starting hooker role somewhere.. can't say I've seen a lot of him, but a lot of people think he's very, very good.

(Only bringing this up in case Wayne decides not to re-sign McCullough)

yeah, rumour is the Dragons are looking very hard at him ... but they are apparently also interested in McCullough

THE Broncos are facing a battle to retain one of the NRL’s hottest backline prospects with the Dragons circling Jayden Nikorima.Nikorima’s management have met Broncos coach Wayne Bennett to gauge whether the under-20 player has a future at Red Hill amid interest from Sydney clubs.
Nikorima, the younger brother of Broncos NRL squad member Kodi, is off contract at the end of the season.
The 19-year-old utility is rated a potential star by Broncos legend Darren Lockyer, who is a key member of Brisbane’s recruitment and retention committee.

Kodi’s NRL breakthrough three weeks ago has raised fears there may be room for only one Nikorima in the Broncos’ senior team, given their similar playing styles.
Both are pint-sized dynamos at 174cm and both are capable of playing several positions putting them on a collision course for the Broncos’ No. 14 utility jumper off the bench.
Jayden’s preference is to stay at the Broncos, but his uncertain pathway to NRL level at Brisbane has opened the door for St George Illawarra.
“There’s interest in Jayden from NRL clubs in Sydney so we’ll weigh up his opportunities in the coming weeks and months,” manager Simon Mammino said.
“Our meeting with Wayne (Bennett) went well. He likes Jayden and hopes to retain him, but the indication is Wayne wants to see a bit more of Jayden before he decides whether to sign him.
“Jayden is keen to stay at the Broncos, they have done a lot for him, but the NRL is a cutthroat industry and it’s important a player can see that there’s a pathway for him to first grade.

“Ideally the club will keep him, but the key is what other clubs can offer Jayden. This is not just about money, it’s positional opportunity.’’
Nikorima underlined his special talent in last year’s under-20 grand final, playing a starring role in Brisbane’s 34-32 loss to the Warriors at ANZ Stadium.
The problem for the Broncos is working out Nikorima’s best position. He is currently playing in the centres, but is equally adept at fullback, five-eighth, half-back and hooker.
The Broncos tried to extend Nikorima’s contract last year but the teenager baulked at a new deal amid the upheaval surrounding coach Anthony Griffin’s sacking.
Nikorima recently told The Sunday Mail he was unfazed by talk of him being the Broncos’ next big thing.
“I just ignore that and let my footy do the talking because I have a lot to learn still,’’ he said.
“It was my dream to play NRL as a kid and hopefully I can do it at the Broncos alongside Kodi.’’

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ottest-prospects/story-fniabm4i-1227291432583

And the player agent's games start...

With all due respect and no intent to insult anyone, I don't think losing Jayden will be the worst thing we've ever suffered.

We have long term halves and a hooker lined up (love or hate McCullough and Milford at 5/8) that IS what the club has planned. A medium term fullback is in place (Boyd) with 'depth options (Kahu and Maranta) available as needed.

So what do we have to offer? An A grade bench spot, IF the coach wants a utility (long term) that can play hooker and possible injury cover (ie: more depth). We have 2 signed depth hookers, neither of which is getting the bench spot.

I don't necessarily want to lose Jayden but is he the next Lockyer? No. I wouldn't be offering him anything much because the chances of him being a star at our club is virtually nil.

How do you know he's not the next Lockyer? Have you seen the kid play? He has star written all over him. He has massive ability already and stands up in big moments which is massive for a 18-19 year old kid!

and stands up in big moments

Except for that goal kick in the grand final last year lol.

I'd be disappointed to lose Jayden, I'm not entirely sure why we're using Kodi as a utility over him honestly, Jayden is clearly the better of the two brothers.

I'd like to see Jayden in first grade before I form an opinion. The amount of times I've heard the little brother is the best player that doesn't turn out to be true is too much to count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • scobie
  • MrMoore
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.