Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam Anderson at Dolphins is worth a go; been the best front rower in the ISC this year. Named captain in his first year and picked for Queensland Residents.

On tv today.

Could he slip straight in to 1st grade? Good prospect but we have a few of those on the books as it is... I reckon we need a 1st grader who tried and tested while we wait for our younger guys to come on... A real impact forward, we have a couple of work horses we need a bam bam

Would love to see how good Moa can be under Bennett I would sign him.

Remember our last Rooster Forward signing Martin Kennedy, He was real good

Brisbane Broncos call on NRL to help poach Israel Folau back to rugby league

BRONCOS players have urged former Queensland Origin sensation Israel Folau to follow the lead of Jarryd Hayne and finish his glittering career in the NRL.

Test stars Sam Thaiday and Adam Blair believe the NRL can leverage the hype generated by Hayne’s signing with the Titans to poach Folau from rugby union.

Folau’s planned return to rugby league sensationally collapsed three years ago, when NRL dithering over his salary-cap value steered him into the path of rugby’s NSW Waratahs.

The former Storm and Broncos star has been a smash hit in rugby, scoring 20 tries in 41 Tests in a Wallabies career headlined by a World Cup appearance last year.

Hayne’s Titans debut last Sunday delivered an estimated $500,000 profit for the Gold Coast and Thaiday implored his former teammate Folau to reignite his NRL career.

Folau won a grand final in his rookie season at the Storm in 2007 before joining the Broncos, where he scored 37 tries in 39 games before his shock switch to AFL in 2011.

“It’s great to see Jarryd Hayne back in rugby league and I’d like to see Israel Folau follow Hayne and come back,” said Thaiday, who also played Origin and Test football with the tryscoring machine.

“I loved playing with him at the Broncos and Queensland, he was a brilliant representative for rugby league and in a way, he was almost too big for our game.

“Due to salary cap issues, you can’t hold players like him back but with the salary cap set to rise again, hopefully it can convince Israel to play rugby league again.

“Izzy’s gone away and done some great things in rugby union but he made his name in rugby league. I’m sure at some point there will be some NRL team knocking on his door asking for him to come back.

“It would be great to see him back at the Broncos ... I just hope he doesn’t take my (contract) money.”

Last year, Folau spoke with then NRL head-of-football Todd Greenberg, now the code’s CEO, about an NRL return.

The tri-code superstar said the Broncos were one of five clubs he was interested in playing for but Greenberg’s predecessor Dave Smith blocked the poaching bid.

Folau subsequently signed a “flexible” deal with the Australian Rugby Union, expiring in 2018, that allows him a cameo stint in Japanese rugby.

Broncos prop Adam Blair played alongside Folau at the Storm and believes his star power would be another Hayne-like coup for the NRL.

“It would be great for the game to see ‘Izzy’ back in rugby league,” he said.

“It would be nice to finish my career with Izzy. I was close to him in Melbourne and he was just a freakish talent.

“To have someone like Jarryd Hayne back is huge for rugby league and Izzy would be great back at the Broncos. But he seems to be enjoying himself in rugby union so I don’t know if he will ever come back.”

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't afford Inglis, can afford Folau... That will do me!

Meh, he'll be off within a year even if he did come. Next.

You have got to be kidding. I would have him back in a heartbeat.

Not being able to afford Inglis and not being prepared to pay his asking price are 2 very different things

I agree. I simply doubt either is available to us, which means Folau is definitely out of the picture.

I'm 100% serious. We lost a lot of good players last time for him to go to AFL 2 years later.
That's a load of crock. Folau never held the Broncos on a sring like Khunt, costing us other players to try to keep him.
On the contrary, Folau even put Origin participation at risk because he announced his decision early.

That's a load of crock. Folau never held the Broncos on a sring like Khunt, costing us other players to try to keep him.
On the contrary, Folau even put Origin participation at risk because he announced his decision early.
Let's disagree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• heartly87
  • Gaz
  • Stix
  • Reds2011
  • Waynesaurus
  • Strop
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Fozz
  • NSW stables
  • broncsgoat
  • theshed
  • Broncosgirl
  • Browny
  • winslow_wong
  • Robboi_321
  • Kev_Guz
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.