Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two problem with Oates. First is his defence and other is his body. When he play on the wing, he gets injured. Can his body get through physical punishment week in week out.

I'm genuinely interested in whether you have ever suggested Oates move from wing to backrow before, or if you are just doing it now out of fear that we will lose him if he stays on the wing.

Oh nah I've definitely been a massive advocate of moving him to the backrow, you can just tell by his body that it's inevitably where he ends up, he's fast, but he's not agile. He's skillful at finishing, but he's not skillful under the high ball. Wingers these needs to be all of the above, Holmes / Radradra are the ultimate definition of what wingers in 2017 need to be built like, tall, athletic, lightning fast, super skillful both on the ground and in the air.

Luckily for us, once we move him, we have blokes like Pearson coming through who have a big shot at being exactly what we need.

...We'd have an extra premiership to our name if we had "Taught him how to position himself defensively"...

No, we'd have an extra premiership if Hunt just held onto the ball after the break by Milford. Or if he didn't spear tackle a player. And if he didn't drop the ball on the kickoff. Or maybe if he kicked the ball dead after the break.

Oates missed a tackle because of a genius ball from a quality player in the heat of battle. The loss was not his to bear.

It's a bloody miracle, everyone finally realising that Glenn isn't in the clubs future, all it took was Oates to second row.

No, we'd have an extra premiership if Hunt just held onto the ball after the break by Milford. Or if he didn't spear tackle a player. And if he didn't drop the ball on the kickoff. Or maybe if he kicked the ball dead after the break.

Oates missed a tackle because of a genius ball from a quality player in the heat of battle. The loss was not his to bear.

There were a lot of factors in that loss, you can't put it all on Hunt. We wouldn't have even made it close to the GF without him.

Two problem with Oates. First is his defence and other is his body. When he play on the wing, he gets injured. Can his body get through physical punishment week in week out.

These days the wingers already get though some serious physical punishment. Especially Oates.

If we wanted to just protect his body, he should be playing in the centres.

Actually none of those things matter if Macca passes to Parker (who walks in under the posts untouched and puts us 10 points up with 15 to go) instead of throwing the stupid Macca dummy which we have come to know and hate.

It was Macca's **** up as much as anyone's.

Glen is a high quality player and that can't be denied. He is also a high quality bloke with a good few years in him. It's unlucky for him that the timing over the next year or two will likely favor the retention of some up and coming talent. But the bloke is solid and rarely deserving of much criticism at all.

Glen is a high quality player and that can't be denied. He is also a high quality bloke with a good few years in him. It's unlucky for him that the timing over the next year or two will likely favor the retention of some up and coming talent. But the bloke is solid and rarely deserving of much criticism at all.
I could easily see Glenn battling to retain a bench spot this year if he continues his inconsistency. A high quality bloke but clearly his best is well behind him and this is probably his final season in Bronco colours. Once being touted as a future captain, he has been a massive underachiever and certainly not part of the Bronco's future IMO.

I could easily see Glenn battling to retain a bench spot this year if he continues his inconsistency. A high quality bloke but clearly his best is well behind him and this is probably his final season in Bronco colours. Once being touted as a future captain, he has been a massive underachiever and certainly not part of the Bronco's future IMO.

What???? He was fantastic at the back end of last season from the bench, easily one of the best on field consistently.

Sometimes I seriously question if a couple of members on here actually watch the games

What???? He was fantastic at the back end of last season from the bench, easily one of the best on field consistently.
He was solid but he wasn't fantastic, a few key missed tackles hurt the team badly. Don't get me wrong, I really like the guy but I think the Broncos will move in a different direction rather than try to squeeze a 28 yo bench player under the cap.

You're comparing Oates to Hoffman?

Shakes head.

Nope. Read it again. The moral of the story is just because you up and leave in a huff over not getting to play your favoured position, doesn't mean you'll get to play your favoured position at the next club, or the one after that, or for your country...

Glenn is probably the most consistent player we have. He's just not brilliant in any areas. Is a competent runner, and can run a good line, but doesn't bend the line. He is a relatively safe defender, but doesn't hurt the opposition, and doesn't have a very high workrate, even when he plays 75-80 minutes. And he's mobile without being fast, and strong enough without being imposing.

Most premiership-winning teams have someone like Glenn, as they compliment superstars well, in that they do their job well every time, and they're normally not that expensive. But for me, he's an 80% Parker.

Glenn is fantastic for us, but surely Su'A has to fit in somewhere this season.

Glenn is fantastic for us, but surely Su'A has to fit in somewhere this season.

At present, we have these guys definitely in the the top 17:

1. Gillett
2. Thaiday
3. McGuire
4. Blair
5. Glenn
6. TPJ

There are two-three other forward positions available to be spread amongst:

Su'a, Ese'ese, Fai, Arrow, Joffa, Dodds, Sims, Oates (at some point unfortunately as I believe he should be our centre or winger permanently) and maybe one or two others.

We don't know how many of these guys are the goods. Additionally, Thaiday and Blair will finish sooner rather than later and rightly or wrongly, McGuire may not stay if he is given a ridiculous offer elsewhere.

Now, you would imagine Su'a and Oates will be the highest priority young guy re-signings to eventually have a backrow rotation of Gillett/Su'a/Oates/TPJ/plus one or two.

As a result, Glenn is by no means simply 'surplus' to needs. Given Oates is already an origin player (albeit in a different position) and both Su'a and TPJ will probably end up being ones as well, having Glenn on board as a lower priced experienced hand is by no means anything to undersell. We don't know what will happen to Arrow or any of the other young guys coming through so Glenn is definitely worth a one or two season extension.

Glenn is probably the most consistent player we have. He's just not brilliant in any areas. Is a competent runner, and can run a good line, but doesn't bend the line. He is a relatively safe defender, but doesn't hurt the opposition, and doesn't have a very high workrate, even when he plays 75-80 minutes. And he's mobile without being fast, and strong enough without being imposing.

Most premiership-winning teams have someone like Glenn, as they compliment superstars well, in that they do their job well every time, and they're normally not that expensive. But for me, he's an 80% Parker.

We have that in Gillett and macca !

I think the only scenario that Su'A gets a permanent spot this season is if we embrace this "mini-rebuild" and just throw guys like Pearson, Su'A, Opacic & Arrow straight in the deep end. A lot of people seem extremely against the idea, and I don't blame them, but I come from the NBA culture, if you aren't good enough to win a championship, tank, re-build, give your best young guys all the minutes, let them grow.

It's obviously not as efficient in the NRL, because we haven't got a lottery based draft system like the NBA, but the principle is the same in regards to putting your young players in a hyperbolic time chamber and possibly advancing their development by a full season or two.

It's also extremely unlikely that we'll do it, because we're presumably still good enough to make the top 8 this year, but if for whatever reason we decide 1/3rd of the way through the season that Hunt has already punched out, and we get an injury or two, I think it's our best course of action.

We could throw out something like -

1. Boyd (c)
2. Kahu
3. Opacic
4. Roberts
5. Pearson
6. Milford
7. Scarlett
8. Sims
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Oates
12. Gillett
13. Arrow

14. Pangai Jr
15. Ese'ese
16. Su'A
17. Nikorima

Players omitted due to age / contract: Hunt, Mead, Thaiday, Blair, Glenn, Marshall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • lynx000
  • Broncorob
  • The True King
  • Morkel
  • Galah
  • Financeguy
  • Battler
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Rambstien
  • Manofoneway
  • Swordfish
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Browny
  • Alec
  • HVbronco
  • Spooky1013
  • rj9
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.