Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just pay them what is required to keep them! If these young fellas are as talented as what people are saying then we need to prioritise maintaining their contracts. (Within reason of course, don't just sign them up on 1mil per season contracts)

If you take a look at other elite sports around the world you will find that the highly talented youngsters get big contracts. Very often before their professional career hits full stride. Do you think they offered LeBron James chump money before joined the NBA?

If in the process of maintain our future players who are widely touted as being 'elite', we lose a couple of players of fairly average playing ability the so be it!! We simply cannot afford to continue losing our best junior talent. Our lack of success over the last decade is proof of that.

Last edited:
Just pay them what is required to keep them! If these young fellas are as talented as what people are saying then we need to prioritise maintaining their contracts. (Within reason of course, don't just sign them up on 1mil per season contracts)

If you take a look at other elite sports around the world you will find that the highly talented youngsters get big contracts. Very often before their professional career hits full stride. Do you think they offered LeBron James chump money before joined the NBA?

If in the process of maintain our future players who are widely touted as being 'elite', we lose a couple of players of fairly average playing ability the so be it!! We simply cannot afford to continue losing our best junior talent. Our lack of success over the last decade is proof of that.

you do realize there is this thing in the NRL called a salary cap, don't you?

Of course I do mate. That's why we probably lose other players of average NRL ability in the process. I did mention that. It goes without saying that we have to work within the cap. I just feel you have to take a punt on some of these young guys.

What's the worst thing that could happen? Not win premierships because we are investing our money in players not playing to their potential? I think we already have that covered.

you do realize there is this thing in the NRL called a salary cap, don't you?

Yes, but do teams like the Sharks, Roosters and Storm realise that there is a cap too? They seem to sign whoever they want whenever they want.

Another Fifita on the horizon

He’s still at school, but Keebra Park captain and second rower David Fifita has become one of the hottest properties in rugby league.
Fifita - a cousin of twins Andrew and namesake David Fifita - recently picked up the Peter Sterling Medal for best player in schoolboy football.
The massive back-rower is contracted to the Broncos for next season and is expected to spend the pre-season training with the NRL squad.

But clubs are already lining up to have a crack at Fifita for 2019 - and the Broncos are trying to prevent any poaching.
“We have just started negotiations - the Broncos want to upgrade and extend David… we are working through it,” Fifita’s manager Steve Deacon said.
Fifita is the second straight Keebra player to win the Sterling Medal, following in the footsteps of boom Cowboy Payne Haas.

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/09/12/09/02/maguire-favourite-gold-coast-titans-coaching-job
Boom cowboy Payne Haas?
Good news I suppose if we have started Negotiations

Haas signed a 3 year deal at around 450k iirc.

Have to laugh at people crying doom and gloom and thinking "we cannot lose" a 17yo that hasn't even played u20s let alone first grade.

Sure he might turn out awesome. He might turn out shit. He may leave or he may stay, but to be held to ransom theoretically by someone not even out of their sporting diapers - I'm glad you guys have nothing to do with retention.

Have to laugh at people crying doom and gloom and thinking "we cannot lose" a 17yo that hasn't even played u20s let alone first grade.

Sure he might turn out awesome. He might turn out shit. He may leave or he may stay, but to be held to ransom theoretically by someone not even out of their sporting diapers - I'm glad you guys have nothing to do with retention.

The problem is we used to be amazing at identifying talent and keeping them. People just want to get back to that.

The problem is we used to be amazing at identifying talent and keeping them. People just want to get back to that.
Its a level playing field these days. We have to get used to it or be smarter about who we keep.

We're going to let good players go, we can't keep everyone. There are no secret under the radar talents anymore.

Its a level playing field these days. We have to get used to it or be smarter about who we keep.

We're going to let good players go, we can't keep everyone. There are no secret under the radar talents anymore.

Isn't this the whole point of what we are saying? We want to be smarter and keep the ones who are the best of their generation so far. If offering a little bit of extra cash does the job, why not do it?

I don't think anyone has even remotely suggested to be held to ransom by paying 400k a season but 200k for a player of Fifita's potential will definitely be offered by a struggling club. How can we not match that (including TPAs, etc)? That isn't being 'held to ransom', that is making an educated investemrnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Shane Tronc
  • Waynesaurus
  • Browny
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • heartly87
  • K-Style
  • Bucking Beads
  • Big Del
  • Wolfie
  • eggstar10
  • Alec
  • theshed
  • bb_gun
  • Dash
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Reds2011
  • Old Mate
  • winslow_wong
  • IceWorks
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.