Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the club thinks Fifita is one of those special players, and it sounds like they do, you'd have to work harder to keep him. Imagine if we had our own Taumalolo.

Isn't this the whole point of what we are saying? We want to be smarter and keep the ones who are the best of their generation so far. If offering a little bit of extra cash does the job, why not do it?

How do we know if the best of their generation currently will be the best of their generation overall? Was smith, Slater, JT, the best of theirs at 17-18? We don't. So your idea is throw money at who you think is the best, but complain when others who you also think are pretty good leave because there's no money for them? Seem to recall you whinging about arrow leaving yet here you are advocating to give even younger players with zero u20s, let alone fg experience, 'a bit of extra cash'. It adds up mate.

don't think anyone has even remotely suggested to be held to ransom by paying 400k a season but 200k for a player of Fifita's potential will definitely be offered by a struggling club. How can we not match that (including TPAs, etc)? That isn't being 'held to ransom', that is making an educated investemrnt.
That is being held to ransom because if you try and match every offer thrown to every promising junior you'll end up with a team of 18yos on decent money, and guess what will happen when they come out of contract? They'll expect more because their starting point was already higher than others at their age and level of experience.

If the club thinks Fifita is one of those special players, and it sounds like they do, you'd have to work harder to keep him. Imagine if we had our own Taumalolo.
Offer him a direct path to first grade if he performs well in the 20s or qcup. Spot in the 25 in 2019 if he proves his worth.

You gonna pick him over someone like lodge who at least has shown he can handle it against adults?

If he takes the money good luck to him and we move onto the next one.

Seem to recall you whinging about arrow leaving yet here you are advocating to give even younger players with zero u20s, let alone fg experience, 'a bit of extra cash'. It adds up mate.

I didn't want Arrow to leave but he's gone, I'm not going to stop thinking about the future because we lost a player I wanted to keep though. Arrow and Joffa are the best of that generation, hence I didn't want him to leave, I wanted him to be our starting lock this year but what's gone is gone, so not really sure why you are bringing him up?

Secondly, why and how do Melbourne keep all the youngsters they want to keep? My point is more about wanting to know what we are doing differently to them. What do you think it is?

You know the other day I learned Scott Prince was actually a Broncos junior before he was a Cowboys junior?

I wonder how many talented juniors the Broncos had that were poached off of them back in the day? I'd be willing to bet there were dozens and a lot of them went onto do really good things with their career. That's great, but that didn't prevent the Broncos from achieving.

Junior development doesn't concern me. The Broncos have improved at spotting talent and bringing them through. There was an issue a few years back, it's been resolved and there seems to be genuine superstars coming through the system again. Now it's all about recruitment and again, I'm confident Bennett is piecing together the roster he wants. I expect a few more signing announcements in the lead up to pre-season and while they won't be household names, they'll be the type of players the club needs.

I didn't want Arrow to leave but he's gone, I'm not going to stop thinking about the future because we lost a player I wanted to keep though. Arrow and Joffa are the best of that generation, hence I didn't want him to leave, I wanted him to be our starting lock this year but what's gone is gone, so not really sure why you are bringing him up?

The reason I brought him up is, the money you are advocating tossing to younger players could be tossed at those like arrow (who I don't rate but whatever). I wanted you to understand how your dismissal of few extra quid can impact other good juniors. It's not that easy and mortgaging your present in the hope of a rosier future with youngsters that have done **** all that is not a good way of running a club.

Secondly, why and how do Melbourne keep all the youngsters they want to keep? My point is more about wanting to know what we are doing differently to them. What do you think it is?
Who are the youngsters Melbourne have kept lately that you wanted? Kafusi? Solomona? Jesse/Kenny brommy? (Not exactly youngsters those last two)

Fact is, Melbourne has had a quality spine for 10 years and everyone's played off the back of them. Croft and bsmith look good, but Luke Brooks looked awesome his first few games.

Which players are you referring to?

The reason I brought him up is, the money you are advocating tossing to younger players could be tossed at those like arrow (who I don't rate but whatever). I wanted you to understand how your dismissal of few extra quid can impact other good juniors. It's not that easy and mortgaging your present in the hope of a rosier future with youngsters that have done **** all that is not a good way of running a club.

Who are the youngsters Melbourne have kept lately that you wanted? Kafusi? Solomona? Jesse/Kenny brommy? (Not exactly youngsters those last two)

Fact is, Melbourne has had a quality spine for 10 years and everyone's played off the back of them. Croft and bsmith look good, but Luke Brooks looked awesome his first few games.

Which players are you referring to?

Croft, Smith, Scott, Stimson, etc. they just don't lose anyone they want to keep out of their juniors AND poach others (ala Tino from us).

I'm not talking about throwing Wars of cash at youngsters but I think you are aware of that. I'm saying that there is something wrong where it seems our juniors tend to leave a lot easier than what happens to other clubs. Is it better exposure? More prestigious production line? Or are we just not that good at identifying the best?

Croft, Smith, Scott, Stimson, etc. they just don't lose anyone they want to keep out of their juniors AND poach others (ala Tino from us).

I'm not talking about throwing Wars of cash at youngsters but I think you are aware of that. I'm saying that there is something wrong where it seems our juniors tend to leave a lot easier than what happens to other clubs. Is it better exposure? More prestigious production line? Or are we just not that good at identifying the best?

I would class Melbourne as having a high turn over of players. They lose players every year. From this team; Harris, McClean and Cronk.

Hampton, Proctor, Green and Mann. Just off the top of my head.

What they do well is replace them seamlessly. But they're losing them.

Remember too Of those guys you mentioned they haven't been tested yet on the market they're still in their first deals. Smith they got from the Cowboys this year, Scott from the Sharks, Croft was playing for Easts and went to Churchie- Storm's back yard.

A Bunn an ex Bronco and Dane Campbell ex Easts player do their recruitment and do a great job making great choices.

I wouldn't be too worried about Scott or Stimson personally, nothing I've seen from them so far screams future world class.

Croft looks good but would you trade him for Milford? It's impossible to have two star halves these days and in the off chance you do they won't stick together, see: Brooks and Moses, foran and dce, Maloney and Pearce (Maloney and Johnson for that matter too).

What you can say melb are good at are identifying players like addo carr but honestly anyone who saw him play for the Tigers could see he was a player, they just took advantage of another clubs incompetence (did the same with korobiete).

not talking about throwing Wars of cash at youngsters but I think you are aware of that. I'm saying that there is something wrong where it seems our juniors tend to leave a lot easier than what happens to other clubs. Is it better exposure? More prestigious production line? Or are we just not that good at identifying the best?

Wars of cash haha. I understand what you're saying and sure I'm not saying offer them all bargain basement terms, but these kids have proved nothing yet, dominating schoolboys means nothing. Dave Taylor dominated schoolboys, how'd he go in the nrl? Remember Greg Waddell? Dominated schoolboys in penrith, did his knee twice and never got there. Remember Karl Filiga being offered 250k a season when he was 17-18 by the Sharks because he was the next sbw - where's he now? How much time do you have? We can be here all day listing the next big thing that fizzled out.

Our juniors leave because we actually have a big development program that involves hundreds of kids of varying levels at varying ages. Melbourne doesn't so they have the luxury of shopping around and taking what they need from other clubs to augment their own. It's not a good or a bad thing necessarily (some clubs have to do the heavy lifting) , its just the reality of having a large nursery.

Brisbane's (Nolan) recruitment has been really good; how could you fault the value out of Moga and Herman? They're Brisbane's Stimson or Scott.

That's the skill and value in those recruitments. You can't have a team of stars anymore but you need to be able to identify the 100k buy that will play 18 games and give great value.

Storm do that very well but I think Brisbane do too with the return of Nolan.

Brisbane's (Nolan) recruitment has been really good; how could you fault the value out of Moga and Herman? They're Brisbane's Stimson or Scott.

I think it is more our junior recruitment and retention that needs to be looked at so guys like Tino don't get away.

I think it is more our junior recruitment and retention that needs to be looked at so guys like Tino don't get away.

You don't even know that's a loss yet. You lose "Tino's" every year.

Broncos went with Haas, which meant the Storm saw a chance with the other young forward. He was playing at the Storm's feeder club too which never helps.

As far as I'm aware no one has advocated throwing Newcastle money at him.

That said, it's just smart business for a club to assess the potential of prospects coming through and make appropriate offers to ensure we hang onto the keepers.

That's the skill and value in those recruitments. You can't have a team of stars anymore but you need to be able to identify the 100k buy that will play 18 games and give great value.

Storm do that very well but I think Brisbane do too with the return of Nolan.

Thats what i've said for ages. With the salary cap, you have to pick and choose what you spend on big game players. You need the workhorses and reliable players to balance them out. Blokes like Stagg spring to mind for me. Reliable, can do a decent job in a few positions and dont let you down. They arent going to set the world on fire, but they are solid players, especially when they have a bit of utility value. Cant think of too many we have like that now tbh.

Cant think of too many we have like that now tbh.
Glenn, Oates, Su'a in the forwards
Kahu, Benji, Kodi in the backs

Hell even Arrow can play 2nd row and prop. Same with Sammy, Blair, TPJ, Sims and McGuire.

Our team is full of flexibility and versatility

Glenn, Oates, Su'a in the forwards
Kahu, Benji, Kodi in the backs

Hell even Arrow can play 2nd row and prop. Same with Sammy, Blair, TPJ, Sims and McGuire.

Our team is full of flexibility and versatility

Yep, fair points, although i'm not sure Sims or McGuire i'd put in that category honestly. Also, Arrow, Benji, and probably blair wont be here next year. I'm also not sure we would win a grand final with say Glenn or Sua playing in the centers like we did with Stagg. Apart from Kahu and possibly Kodi, i dont see any genuine utilities there if we need to move then for 3 or 4 games. They are fine if we need them to move during a game though.

Broncos have there Taumalolo and his name Is Tevita Pangai jr. It took a little while for LoLo to find his feet just need to give Pangai so time too ands that's why we shouldn't be chucking big money at a rookie back rower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• jd87
  • theshed
  • Waynesaurus
  • johnny plath
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Alec
  • Wolfie
  • Browny
  • Bucking Beads
  • K-Style
  • heartly87
  • Shane Tronc
  • Big Del
  • eggstar10
  • bb_gun
  • Dash
  • Slippin Jimmy
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.