Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
From Peter Badel, Matt Lodge has been granted permission by the NRL to train with the Broncs, starting next week...

MATT Lodge has edged closer to an NRL return after being given permission to train with the Brisbane Broncos.

Lodge will begin training with the Broncos next week as part of an affiliate club arrangement with the Redcliffe Dolphins, who he has been playing for in the Intrust Super Cup.
The NRL approved Lodge’s application to train with the Broncos on Monday, however he has not been cleared to play in the NRL this season.
Lodge, 21, signed with the Dolphins this season to begin his path back to the NRL.
The former Wests Tigers prop was arrested in New York in 2015 following an incident which he later avoided jail-time for.
The Tigers sacked Lodge following the incident and he spent the entire 2016 season out of the game before being thrown a career lifeline by the Dolphins.
The Broncos are hoping to sign Lodge once the NRL clears him to return to the competition, however that may not be this season.
“Redcliffe had sought permission for Matt to undergo extra training with the Broncos under our affiliate arrangement and we have now been advised by the NRL that it has been given,” Broncos CEO Paul White said.
“Matt will continue to play in the Intrust Super Cup with the Redcliffe Dolphins but will also undertake some training session with the Broncos.
“While this is good news for Matt, our club understands that this is not a determination of NRL registration, which is a matter for the NRL.
“In other words, while this does confirm permission for Matt to train with the Broncos, it does not constitute permission to play.
“Our club fully understands and supports the welfare program Matt has been on with Redcliffe, and we will continue to support that.”

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
Heard the rumour re Wighton, put it down to Facebook bullshit more than anything.

I'd take him if it eventuated, not necessarily as a trade for Kahu though.

Wighton does have the odd error in him but is a pretty damn hard runner with some skill. Punishing defence too. If you asked me a year ago I'd be nonplussed but he's come along IMO.

Last edited:
BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
People need to stop complimenting Milford. Milford needs to compliment others for once.

This... We can't be paying big money for a gun halfback to compliment him. The guy needs to be able to stand on his own if he wants the big bucks. Hell why not go for JT he'd be a perfect compliment.

The money required to pry either Cleary or Moses out of Sydney would be massive. Likely on par with milf and then we'd have two big contracts in the halves

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Wait, weren't we swapping Kahu to the Raiders for Wighton, is it a multi-league, cross-code, 3 team trade?

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
This just in, Kahu to follow his dream to play Hand Ball in Europe.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Market Watch saying that the Kahu re-signing is all but done. They are usually spot on. Kahu won't be going anywhere.

Glenn is also close to re-signing.

Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
I'm firmly on the we shouldn't resign Glenn bandwagon atm and I've articulated why before. But who am I to say such? Glenn is a strong and consistent performer for us and has been with us forever.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I'm fine to re-sign Kahu for a couple of years, don't think we should re-sign Glenn. Oates wants to be starting in the back row by next season, that's only happening if we let Glenn walk and transition Thaiday back to a bench player (Or give him the tap)

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I will be ecstatic once we have locked up Kahu.

I am also happy we are looking to re-sign Glenn, gives us an experienced hand either from the bench or in case of injury. While the backrowers coming through have a much higher ceiling than Glenn, they are also rookies and it is difficult for rookies to maintain a consistently high standard for the entire season. I also doubt he would be overly expensive, which is a big plus.

so worst case scenario and the young back rowers are able to maintain a higher level of performance that Glenn through the entire season, we have an international backrower that we can call on if injury strikes or for the origin period ... i really don't see a downside.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
If it was up to me I wouldn't re-sign Glenn.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I'd rather use Glenn's value to lock up some of our more important players

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Happy with the Glenn re-signing, he isn't going to take much cap space and he can cover a few spots. Nothing wrong with having an older head around the squad, especially one that came from within (he was the u20's capt).

Tunza's Chin

Tunza's Chin

QCup Player
Apr 17, 2016
My problem with Glenn is the $$ it's going to take to keep him. If we can get him for the sort of money you pay for a bench forward, or someone who might spend half the year in Q-Cup then sure, otherwise the opportunity cost is too high for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Totally Unr3al
  • MrTickyMcG
  • broncs30
  • Brotherdu
  • Justwin
  • Financeguy
  • Scorchie
  • Sproj
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Yem
  • westy316
  • Redux
  • Waynesaurus
  • Allo
  • lakers133334
  • Tim K
  • winslow_wong
  • Spooky1013
  • Jazza
... and 27 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.