Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Courier mail is now calling Bird almost a done deal with us, apparently we've been in talks with him for a few months.

I hope not for $1.2 mil

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I'll never understand why Cult thinks that people aren't aware that Taylor has deficiencies in his game, even the most biased Taylor fans would acknowledge his poor defensive ability and heavy reliance on his kicking game (Both of which are things he can and will work on.. being 22 years old..)

Guess what, there's only 1 or 2 halves in the entire world who have virtually no flaws in their game, their names are Johnathan Thurston & Cooper Cronk, let's stop short of using them as a benchmark for all future halves targets for us, especially ones with under 30 games under their belt :/
Because every time I dispute any part of his game some people claim that it's much better than it actually is. I'm tired of hearing about how he's going to work on these things whilst others are arguing that he's already in the top half of halfbacks for anything other than kicking. He's not.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Because every time I dispute any part of his game some people claim that it's much better than it actually is. I'm tired of hearing about how he's going to work on these things whilst others are arguing that he's already in the top half of halfbacks for anything other than kicking. He's not.

"Some people" = Porthoz, stop targeting everyone who rates him as a player and either @ him or take it to pm.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
"Some people" = Porthoz, stop targeting everyone who rates him as a player and either @ him or take it to pm.
Have you read this thread? It isn't just Porthoz.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Have you read this thread? It isn't just Porthoz.

I just went through the last 3 pages, I've seen Wolfie say his passing game is "good" and I've seen myself say that his running game is "underrated"..

Who else has claimed anything that you're supremely upset with apart from Porthoz?

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
I hope not for $1.2 mil

Less than $1m per year according to Chris Garry, stating the figures of $3.6m over 3 years are 'way' off.

I could live with Bird and Milf playing for us at $900k or thereabouts each...

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Don't why anyone bothers listening to you on this topic.

Objective wouldn't be a word I'd use to describe your views on this bloke.
I don't deny a bias, never have. I do base my opinions on what I've seen of the kid (it's a lot!), and don't deny his flaws.

However, don't even try to pretend you're any more objective than I am. You're the author of some of the most ridiculous stuff ever written on BHQ, based on nothing but... bias/emotion.

B

big k

QCup Player
Apr 10, 2013
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d/news-story/34a5d27729d9dfdfa9f28e8471a8d06b

THE Broncos are on the verge of landing a major recruitment coup by securing Cronulla’s State of Origin star Jack Bird to solve their halves shortage.
Bird, 22, is expected to finalise his future this week and the Broncos are confident they will land his signature.
The Bird development came as the Broncos discovered they will be without halfback Ben Hunt (hamstring) for six weeks, allowing Kodi Nikorima to press his claims for the No. 7 jersey.
Brisbane have been secretly courting Bird for two months, holding multiple meetings and tabling an attractive three-year offer to the Blues utility.
While the money is short of the near $1 million-a-season on offer from Newcastle, Bird has a desire to be coached by seven-time premiership winner Wayne Bennett.
Bennett was coach of the Dragons in 2011 when a teenage Bird was coming through St George Illawarra’s junior system.
The sustained success of the Broncos is also a lure compared to Newcastle, who are in contention for a third consecutive wooden spoon.
The Broncos are viewing Bird as a five-eighth option for 2018 to partner Anthony Milford, who will shift to halfback in place of Dragons-bound Hunt.
Should the experiment with Bird at five-eighth fail, Brisbane will still have a versatile young representative player on their books who can play any position in the backline and pinch-hit in the backrow if needed.
Exciting Titans duo Kane Elgey and Ashley Taylor remain off-contract for 2019 and will be the fallback options for the Broncos if Bird and Milford don’t combine as hoped.
While the impending acquisition of Bird for next season is a major boost for the Broncos, Bennett must find a way to keep his team on track in the absence of Hunt.
Nikorima, a New Zealand Test representative, will on Tuesday be named in the No. 7 jersey for the Good Friday derby against the Titans and the Broncos want to see him evolve into a quality back-up playmaker for their starting halves.
Nikorima and Bennett were at Davies Park on Sunday to watch potential Broncos halfbacks Todd Murphy (Norths) and Sam Scarlett (Souths-Logan) push their cases for an NRL call-up.
Neither seized the chance.
Scarlett’s Magpies emerged victorious 42-22, however he failed to finish the game with an ankle injury and Murphy was left dejected by the Devils’ performance.
Nikorima spent the opening month of the season with the Devils and Murphy said he expected the livewire to thrive at halfback for the Broncos.
“Kodi is a classy player,” Murphy said.
“He’s been good (for us). He’s dangerous with his speed.
“He’s back in first grade now so I don’t think we’ll see him.
“He’d take (the halfback opportunity) with both hands. He’s an international player. He played well for us and for the Broncos against the Roosters. He deserves his spot.”

If we land Bird I might briefly end my League Unlimited self imposed ban long enough to post three words "Suck It Bitches" and then leave again.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
You mean.. one person? Porthoz is the captain of the Ash Taylor ship, his actions and statements are his own, the broader Ash Taylor fan base are more understanding of the criticisms and concerns, but believe he will improve in those areas, as most halves do during their mid 20's.
Which criticisms and concerns are those? Please don't tell me he's 15 Kgs overweight! :whatwouldjareddo:

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
You mean.. one person? Porthoz is the captain of the Ash Taylor ship, his actions and statements are his own, the broader Ash Taylor fan base are more understanding of the criticisms and concerns, but believe he will improve in those areas, as most halves do during their mid 20's.
FYI, I'm first mate on the Oceanic Taylor. Port is a firm but caring captain. A little too old and smelly though tbh.

Anyone who doesn't think Taylor is the best upcoming half in the game is just foolish and probably just "rocking the boat" for their own false bravado. He has his defeciencies for sure but that's to be expected at his age.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Which criticisms and concerns are those? Please don't tell me he's 15 Kgs overweight! :whatwouldjareddo:

HahAhA omfg.. so funny man.. I'm in tears .. xdxd... someone help.. xdxd

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

You see those chubby cheeks?

He's at least 30 over.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
You see those chubby cheeks?

He's at least 30 over.

HAhAhhAHAhAh omfg.. holy god u absolute mad man hAHAhA 30 over?? wow.. haha :P you are crazy br0 :P haha

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
FYI, I'm first mate on the Oceanic Taylor. Port is a firm but caring captain. A little too old and smelly though tbh.

Anyone who doesn't think Taylor is the best upcoming half in the game is just foolish and probably just "rocking the boat" for their own false bravado. He has his defeciencies for sure but that's to be expected at his age.
I'm not... never mind.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
as most halves do during their mid 20's.

This is a common view, but I wonder if it can be verified? Sure there's examples like Thurston (2005 - 23), Cronk (2006 - 23), Prince (2005 - 25), Maloney (2010 - 24), Hunt (2014 - 24), Morgan (2015 - 24) etc. who didn't hit their straps until that age range but then there's guys like Ben Roberts, Eddie Paea, Joe Williams, Brett Seymour, Chris Sandow, Tim Smith, Tasesa Lavea who came into grade looked to have huge futures and fizzled out. Or alternatively players like Braith Anasta and Adam Reynolds who looked fantastic in their debut seasons, only to plateau.

It's a misconception and one I've learned not place any trust in.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Less than $1m per year according to Chris Garry, stating the figures of $3.6m over 3 years are 'way' off.

I could live with Bird and Milf playing for us at $900k or thereabouts each...

Would prefer a bit lower but he is quality . Am a little concerned about his position though , would much lrecer him at 5/8 or center . And how much money does it leave us for better fitting half the Year aftet.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
I hope we get Bird. Our kicking game is gonna remain an issue but Bird is a player I want in our side in big games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• KickHaas
  • Mustafur
  • Gaz
  • Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.