Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's still too much for a centre that's not top of the line.

And a 5/8 that hasn't shown he will be anything more than a good runner.

Top of the line like what, a current origin rep?

You want origin level players, you pay origin level wages...

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...l/news-story/fd3bd172d4f3e45417574e320d20dca1

THE Broncos will put out the welcome mat for Cronulla’s Jack Bird next year, after a number of Brisbane players heaped praise on the NSW Origin star.
Brisbane are the hot favourites to snare the signature of Bird for 2018 and beyond, with the 22-year-old’s future expected to be finalised this week.
With Broncos halfback Ben Hunt on his way out of the club next season, the Broncos have been bidding for Bird’s services as he has the ability to play in the halves or at fullback should Darius Boyd make the switch to the No. 6 jersey.
Forward Josh McGuire on Monday lauded the talent of his possible future teammate, labelling Bird as the exact type of player the Broncos would want at Red Hill.
“He’s a really good competitor,” McGuire said.
“Every week I watch him play. He competes, he’s hard to tackle, he wants to win and people like that are who we want at this club.
“I don’t know if he is or isn’t coming, but he would be a great addition to the playing group. From all reports I’ve heard, he’s a good bloke as well.”
It is understood part of Bird’s motivation to move to the Sunshine State is the chance to work with Broncos coach Wayne Bennett.
Bennett was coaching the Dragons in 2011 when Bird was in the club’s junior system.
Despite suggestions earlier this year that Bennett had “lost his aura”, Sam Thaiday said Bird’s desire to work under the super coach just proved he still had plenty of appeal for players.
“(Wayne) has definitely still got that star factor about him,” Thaiday said.
“If players that aren’t at our club and don’t know our environment still want to come up and play under Wayne Bennett, it shows he still has that draw.
“(Bird) is a fantastic young talent. He’s done some great things down at the Sharks. If he wants to come here … he will be a fantastic addition to this Broncos team.”
The Broncos trained at Logan on Monday in a bid to lift the spirits of the flood-impacted community.
Korbin Sims (foot), Corey Oates (groin) and Alex Glenn (achilles soreness) were all missing from the session, but all did recovery work back at Red Hill.
The trio are expected to be fine for Friday’s derby clash against the Titans, with the Broncos already down Ben Hunt (hamstring) for the occasion.
McGuire said while the team were disappointed to lose Hunt for the next two months, they trusted Kodi Nikorima could easily slot into the side to continue their winning form.
“You can’t replace a player like Ben Hunt but we have good depth here at the club,” McGuire said.
“We can keep on winning. That’s the good thing about our club. We’re playing with a structure at the moment that a lot of people can fit into.
“All the boys are enjoying their footy so hopefully the ride just keeps on going.”

It's too late in Boyd's career to make the transition to 5/8.

Que the news
Josh Mcguire makes shock switch to NFL
Cq5damweb12801280 18

1 Boyd
2 Kahu
3 Bird
4 Roberts
5 Mead
6 Milford
7 Anyone other than Bird

Oates can move to the back row and we can get an actual half to play in the halves.

1 Boyd
2 Kahu
3 Bird
4 Roberts
5 Mead
6 Milford
7 Anyone other than Bird

Oates can move to the back row and we can get an actual half to play in the halves.

I am aroused...

I don't want Bird, not as a half anyway and not on what we are apparently paying him. The guy can play but he does not scream loyalty down the track at all. I can not think of many worse half matches for Milford either.

Reactions: Dee
Doesn't Bird have health issues? I seem to remember hearing them talk about it on either a tv or radio show. The person was shocked that he's able to play league at top level.....

Edit: rheumatoid arthritis

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...is-time-in-the-spotlight-20160618-gpmcsl.html

This may sound odd, but any kid who can get through that and play at the level he does has my support even if he doesn't come to us, fair dinkum that's epic, and I want him as a Bronco more after reading that.

This may sound odd, but any kid who can get through that and play at the level he does has my support even if he doesn't come to us, fair dinkum that's epic, and I want him as a Bronco more after reading that.

Epic story no doubt and tbh, my memory had it as something different. Excellent attitude

Bird is a really good player, but I don't see it working in the halves - as a centre, absolutely.

Edit: Has there been any "Bird is the word" headlines yet?
I actually felt he was a far better 6 than a centre.. 2015 when he came into the side and snuck in at 5/8, he was dynamic! I thought they were crazy to splurge on Maloney based on Birds form but it really paid dividends for them.

I can see him working as a 6 for us, rest is up to Milf now to become an NRL grade 7. He's got a lot of experience around him in Benji, Alf and Locky to help him transition into a game manager. He's always played 7 in younger grades. Looking forward to the next 48hrs to see if Jack decides his future is in the maroon and gold

Last edited:

Looks to prefer attacking the right side of the field too

I think Bird will be a good 5/8 but whether Milf becomes a good 7 is another story

I think Bird will be a good 5/8 but whether Milf becomes a good 7 is another story
Yep. Bird in isolation will be an outstanding signing but does it suit the team needs?

Yep. Bird in isolation will be an outstanding signing but does it suit the team needs?

No, not at all. Unless he will be centre if the Milf-KNik experiment works (which I think it will).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• barker
  • rnabokov
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.