Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see how a fitter Milf with greater expectations around his training, with Dearden at 7 and Turpin at 9 goes. I don;t expect miracles next year, but I expect to see signs that Seibs is now running the show, not the good ole boys, and see in improvement in fitness and consistency.
This is another thing that gets right under my skin.
A million dollar player, allowing himself to get fat and unfit.
That is unacceptable.
Fitness should be baseline in the NRL let alone on a million dollar contract, there is no excuse for it, and it speaks of more behind the scenes than anything else.

This is another thing that gets right under my skin.
A million dollar player, allowing himself to get fat and unfit.
That is unacceptable.
Fitness should be baseline in the NRL let alone on a million dollar contract, there is no excuse for it, and it speaks of more behind the scenes than anything else.
Agree with you on this but it might be at the coaches discretion.

Hook bulked up a lot of our players, and WB seemed to be of the opinion that it's okay not to train hard as long as you rip in on game day (certain players had that privilege it seems). Obviously the players of yesteryear that were given that freedom had a bit more mental tenacity than the current ones.

Does Milford's contract include the dreaded player option? Hopefully not...

I really don't like the 'with a decent halfback' argument. Honestly, if you're paying a guy a million a year, you shouldn't have to rely on the pieces around him to bring out his best. He should be the piece that brings the best out in the players around him.

If he gets back to his best next year, great, but it shouldn't mean the Broncos extend at the same price tag. Let him be someone else's bad investment.

I think sometimes the right player alongside another particular player can unlock things. I've said it before, but i think we have tried to make Milf a game managing half and taken him away from playing his natural game. I dont think we have allowed Milf to be the Milf from 2015 because we needed him to be something else, and he wasnt capable of being that something else.

If he wants a million dollar contract, he has to have a million dollar year of footy, and to do that he needs to get more professional and driven. We cant pay him on potential now.

Last edited:
If he does have a great year we should only extend him another year or absolute max 2. He got far too comfortable in a 4 year contract.

Pretty much, and if he wants to play hardball at the time despite only having something like a 7/10 year, then by that point Paix and Dearden should be close to mature enough to stake their claims and we can say "well Milf, after how largely disappointing your last deal was, it's a take it or leave it situation at this point."

I think sometimes the right player alongside another particular player can unlock things. I've said it before, but i think we have tried to make Milf a game managing half and taken him away from playing his natural game. I dont think we have allowed Milf to be the Milf from 2015 because we needed him to be something else, and he wasnt capable of being that something else.

If he wants a million dollar contract, he has to have a million dollar year of footy, and to do that he needs to get more professional and driven. We cant pay him on potential now.
I think this is a big year for Milford... not me predicting him to have a massive year, but for him in terms of his career.

He does have a player option, but he will be looking to extend beyond that. If his football isn't doing the talking then he could be looking at a big adjustment on his current salary to meet the market demand.

He no longer has the potential tag and if he can't carry this team forward he starts to look like a guy who has peaked.

He's not 18 with it all in front of him anymore. If he fails a bit this season he could be looking like a guy that ends up in super league, etc. with a minimal rep career to his name... fading off the rugby league radar and not being able to forge a career in footy after retirement.

I think this is a big year for Milford... not me predicting him to have a massive year, but for him in terms of his career.

He does have a player option, but he will be looking to extend beyond that. If his football isn't doing the talking then he could be looking at a big adjustment on his current salary to meet the market demand.

He no longer has the potential tag and if he can't carry this team forward he starts to look like a guy who has peaked.

He's not 18 with it all in front of him anymore. If he fails a bit this season he could be looking like a guy that ends up in super league, etc. with a minimal rep career to his name... fading off the rugby league radar and not being able to forge a career in footy after retirement.

Sounds like Chris Sandow!

Milf is one of those players who has a mountain of talent and when he has tapped into it he has looked like a future Immortal, but sadly he has nowhere near the mental fortitude needed to pursue it and make use of it consistently. You can call it laziness if you wish, I will shy away from that for now because I honestly don't know what his problem really is, but he has been on a clear and steady decline since his best footy in 2015/6 with no sign of recovery anywhere.

I put a LOT of the blame for that on the disgraceful state of our spine of course, you can be the most professional footy player in the comp and you can't possibly work with that shit, but he has to take ownership of his own shit as well, and there have been times, a LOT of times in fact where his physique and body language have looked very ordinary for such a highly paid footballer, as if he really cannot be arsed being a marquee player anymore. "Dave Taylor Syndrome" feels comically overused as a descriptor at this point, but it works here, sort of.

He looks destined to join Blake Austin in the Not-So-Super league, and that is SAD to me. I want nothing but the best for Milf, he seems like a good natured young man if not a bit of an introvert, but his priorities at this moment in his life and career are clearly not where they need to be for his value, and the responsibility for that really isn't on the club. It's on Milford.

Last edited:
Let's see how a fitter Milf with greater expectations around his training, with Dearden at 7 and Turpin at 9 goes. I don;t expect miracles next year, but I expect to see signs that Seibs is now running the show, not the good ole boys, and see in improvement in fitness and consistency.
Is this with milf at 6 or 1 .

I think Milford has been our biggest mistake of the past decade.
Has done absolutely nothing for the money he has been paid.
He has a terrible footy brain, he seems lazy and unmotivated 90% of the time, and the sparks of magic have been few and far between.
Brisbane gambled on him and lost.
Would love to see him gone from the club, and this is not coming from a place of hate, i have hoped and hoped and hoped Milford turns up and shows something worthy of his contract, and i have NEVER seen it.
As Skyblue said, if he was on 500K he would get a pass, only just, and even then i would have him on notice.

Bennett tried to turn him into a proper game managing half when Hunt left and only succeeded in nullifying his best attributes (running game) in exchange for a good long range kicking game. He virtually turned Milford into Hunt v 2 without the choking mentality and with a lesser play making ability. If the club bought a proper foil at half back instead of chucking Niko in there Milf, and the club, would be a lot better today.

EDIT: The tits and drags ruined our plans by paying Ash and Hunt stupid cash and ruined their own chances in the process. They were kamikaze signings that have ruled those clubs out of prem contention for the foreseeable future and set our window back.

Last edited:

If he leaves, he will probably go somewhere like Storm, Roosters or Parra and be an instant success to be honest.

That’s what Big Pete said last year, and to be fair, we’ve all been hoping for the past few.

Well...two years ago...

Big Pete said:
Milford.

Except he's about to be the superstar.

giphy.gif

We’ve been waiting for him to get fit since 2016. Maybe he’s on a 5 year fitness program and will complete it this pre season.

EDIT: The tits and drags ruined our plans by paying Ash and Hunt stupid cash and ruined their own chances in the process. They were kamikaze signings that have ruled those clubs out of prem contention for the foreseeable future and set our window back.

Ha ha! "our window".. I like how you said it as if we ever had one.

Well...two years ago...

giphy.gif

Don't worry, my hot take last off-season was that Darius would get back to his best and reclaim the #1 jersey for Queensland and Australia.

FpVG80M.gif

Don't worry, my hot take last off-season was that Darius would get back to his best and reclaim the #1 jersey for Queensland and Australia.

FpVG80M.gif

there’s always next year

I take solace now, after all the shit i copped at the end of last season for questioning the Darius Boyd / Gillett contracts. Was always a stupid move, and now 2019 has clearly proved that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Galah
  • Battler
  • NSW stables
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Johnny92
  • Harry Sack
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.