Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, the groundskeepers can go too. I lost count how many times the Suncorp surface looked like shit last season. It's just not good enough for the Stadiums profile.
I don't think they're employed by the Broncos. I meant the groundskeepers at red hill.

Our best bet is moving on Offa. He's on a reported $500k. Surely easy enough to get another club to pay that money for him. Titans or Bulldogs need a better prop. Maybe even Tigers.

That would give us the money for croft and I don't think we lose much at all with Flegler / Carrigan.

the 500k contract today is equivalent to the 300k under the old salary cap ... which is about right for a player like ofa

I’m truly undecided about Joe. He can be so good when he shows some starch, but then either gets a bit lost and goes missing or contributes a few dumb plays. He could easily live up to that 500k mark if he put his head and heart into it.

He reminds me a bit of Blair when he played for the Broncos/ Melbourne (he's been a joke at the Tigs and Warriors, but I digress). He has a noticeable impact when on the field, we saw that in Origin this year, but his numbers aren't massive.

Last edited:
the 500k contract today is equivalent to the 300k under the old salary cap ... which is about right for a player like ofa
It's still a $500k contract, which is $100k more than Croft would cost and I know what we need more.

The current contract that Kahu is under was signed in 2017
That's all well and good, my issue is with the "release" debacle. I actually don't see the contract value for Kahu as being beyond reasonable for the time but to have to take him back on full freight after a year at another club is just munted. For the record I wouldn't be holding Seibold's nuts to the fire over this either, surely the club has other people who oversee contracts rather than make the coach do all the paperwork.

That's all well and good, my issue is with the "release" debacle. I actually don't see the contract value for Kahu as being beyond reasonable for the time but to have to take him back on full freight after a year at another club is just munted. For the record I wouldn't be holding Seibold's nuts to the fire over this either, surely the club has other people who oversee contracts rather than make the coach do all the paperwork.
Because Kahu was going to get zero game time with us (injuries, etc. not withstanding), so under that scenario Kahu chews up a top 30 spot, keeps getting his $400k and then takes his option for 2020 to chew up some more cap space and keeps getting paid. With no potential to move on to something else.

By sending him to cows there was an opportunity that he might lock down their vacant fullback spot, or at least feature in their God awful backline, thus putting him in the shop window on national TV every week.

Had it been successful maybe the cows throw him a 2-3 year contract or someone else throws him a bone to retire on, ultimately removing him from our 2020 cap.

Instead Kahu shit the bed in Townsville and failed to lockdown a contract for the future, so he has now taken up his 2020 option, which always was and always has been on the table.

It was a risk, but I think it was actually a good risk to take given he was unlikely to feature and was already going to be taking up space. At least this gave us an opportunity to remove him from 2020

By sending him to cows there was an opportunity that he might lock down their vacant fullback spot, or at least feature in their God awful backline, thus putting him in the shop window on national TV every week.

Had it been successful maybe the cows throw him a 2-3 year contract or someone else throws him a bone to retire on, ultimately removing him from our 2020 cap.

He had a spot locked down in the Cowboys backline, before he was injured (and playing pretty well too)

the Cowboys also offered him a contract, he rejected them

If we used the year to front load some contracts, that's the only way it was a good outcome but we'll never really know either way so whatever. It's done now.

Sign Croft.

He had a spot locked down in the Cowboys backline, before he was injured (and playing pretty well too)

the Cowboys also offered him a contract, he rejected them
Well it was clearly not a very good contract... probably a 12 month extension on less than $200k.

The hope would've been he showed enough usefulness to get a 2-3 year deal or his manager would be competent enough to sell him off to union teams for a retirement fund.

Clearly Kahu didn't show enough to warrant any genuine interest from anyone to out price the deal he already had on the table... so now he'll fade off into obscurity languishing in ISC for 12 months

Well it was clearly not a very good contract... probably a 12 month extension on less than $200k.

not necessarily ... maybe he just doesn't want to be at the Cowboys ... and who would blame him ...

and after Isaako's and Boyd's form this year (plus the injuries), maybe he backs himself to get back into our 17

Last edited:
His few games at FB for cows he was head and shoulders above what Boyd was dishing out, he's a good player and is great depth.
I think most of the annoyance comes from him not being there in 2019 when we could have used him, and him now being there in 2020 when we may not need him.

I definitely think he offers more than Boyd. Boyd is definitely still our biggest burden.

I think most of the annoyance comes from him not being there in 2019 when we could have used him, and him now being there in 2020 when we may not need him.

I definitely think he offers more than Boyd. Boyd is definitely still our biggest burden.
I would have liked this twice if I could.

Boyd is a part of it but our biggest burden is the lack of space in our salary cap and those responsible.

One of those causes has been booted from the club, and the other will be gone at the end of the year.

His few games at FB for cows he was head and shoulders above what Boyd was dishing out, he's a good player and is great depth.

Well...Boyd was the worst fullback in the comp by far this year, it would be extremely difficult to have been worse than the worst.

We were all so keen to be rid of Boyd and get a new Fullback. Who'd have guessed back when people were throwing around Holmes that the Fullback that was actually coming to Red Hill in 2020 would be Kahu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• BruiserMk1
  • Rambstien
  • johnny plath
  • Lozza
  • Browny
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Aldo
  • Robboi_321
  • Gaz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • theshed
  • broncos4life
  • heartly87
  • Morepudding
  • Foordy
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.