Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Stimson signed with the bulldogs

No he signed a 3 year deal with the Bulldogs.

He's on the Bulldogs player profiles, as well. Someone at the Broncos has stuffed up.

Fucking up in new ways everyday.

He probably has an agreement to come back if it doesn't work out there so he's still on our roster.

Bulldogs signed him using Broncos money.

He might, for example, be able to make it happen by offloading a player desirable to another club. Like he did with McGuire and Kahu this season. If he only needs say, $100K, he might be able to offload Macca at a subsidy - we can dream.
Yes, I too like that dream.

We can only do it if they agree to go and someone actually wants them. Usually that is because the offloaded player gets more money not the same. i.e On 400K a year at original club who covers 250K and then destination club plays player 250K. A player is not going to move for same money, especially if they are happy. Ultimately Macca, Boyd, Bird are not going to go if they have to sacrifice cash. Also those players are not wanted by other clubs. Maybe we could offload Joe O but if he is only on 500K you aren't gonna get enough out of the 500K to make it worthwhile to get someone like Croft. Ultimately you need to move a player on bigger money and nobody wants our players on bigger money. The only one possible is Milford and we are better off keeping him in my opinion.

I am pretty positive that if we in fact 100% wanted Croft, we would be able to get him.
We could allow the likes of Isaako to test his market value, and I’m more then confident that a Sydney team ie tigers or bulldogs would give him around that 500k mark. We just re signed Oates, I’m sure we could have spent Oates’ $ on buying Croft.
I still actually think we will land Croft, but I am not convinced he is our saviour.
I think Dearden will have a good year, my main concern is who partners him in the 6 jersey. Sadly, I have all but given up hope that Milford will finally turn into that million dollar player. I just don’t think he cares enough, unfortunately.
After the weekends Tonga game, I would give some thought to having Staggs in the 6 however I don’t think it would be smart heading into a new season with 2 young’s halves that don’t have much experience in the NRL.
I could also see Seibold chasing Walker hard. I actually think he and Dearden would work well but I dont believe he is worth the 900k he is wanting. More like 500-600k especially after watching his origin game this year..
We all pretty much have no clue what is going on behind the scenes at the club. White came out a couple of weeks ago and said there will be changes heading into 2020 and it was pretty obvious the positions that we needed to go to market for.
Seibold knows his arse is on the line, he will not get paid out (in full) should he be sacked due to poor performances, as there is a clause in his contract stating that if he doesn’t perform he does not take away his full salary.
I think we will still see a fair bit of a circus prior to the season kicking off. December/Jan we should see a few changes imo.
Hopefully the Croft situation is just the bargaining process, which is holding things up.
I think we will go better this year just on players being better experienced and developing from last year alone.

We lost 3 halfbacks to injury, which also had a big impact on our year. I understand why Siebold went with stability of Turpin in 7 when he did even if it wasn't the best option in my opinion.

I agree with other posters that Milford was not at his best for a lack of players around him in key positions. However, he does need to address some individual issues. His 2018 was good and hopefully this returns with a serviceable 7 next to him. He is at the age where he could go down the Shaun Johnson path or elite play maker path.

I think we are better keeping Isaako. I am confident Isaako, Staggs and Fifita will continue to develop. Scarily Haas doesn't need to develop further but will.

To me moving Boyd or Bird are the only options we have. We are pretty shallow in the hooking role and we would need to replace Macca like for like and there isn't much on the market.

With Gillett gone and potentially Boyd or Bird moving on our roster issues become managable for 2020. With no actual knowledge I think our best hope is the Tigers taking Bird to replace Marsters.
[automerge]1573095382[/automerge]
Seibold is gone if he uses Macca off the bench to replace Turpin after 50 minutes. He'll be lucky to last the season.
I guess Paix could be used but Turpin and Paix is an experienced lineup. Macca starting makes more sense although not ideal.
[automerge]1573095445[/automerge]
I really miss Nikorima... feels weird saying that, because I never thought of him that highly, but he is the ideal 14.

Anyways, realistically - seeing as it looks like we can’t get Croft - who are even the other 7 options....? and I’m thinking back up options here, I feel like it’s Deardens jumper to lose...
Nikorima didn't want to stay and be 14 so we were lucky that the Warriors wanted to pay overs for him. He would be an ideal 14 but he wasn't ever going to agree to that

Last edited:
Yeah you might be right fella. I am just venting - is a long off-season and I'm still holding grudges over that final game 🙁
Yes, It sucks that we have to wait so long for that last game to be history. I feel like wanting blood too.

I am confident we will be better even with our roster issues. If we can solve the roster issues via Gillett going and maybe another then in my view we become contenders again.

Mal Meninga says he wants David Fifita at the Gold Coast Titans
TIME can make the heart grow fonder and that’s exactly what’s happened in Kangaroos camp.
Spending a fortnight with David Fifitahas convinced Titans culture boss Mal Meninga that the Gold Coast has to make a play for the off-contract Broncos star.

Kangaroos coach Meninga worked alongside Fifita with the Australian side for the World Cup 9s and Junior Kangaroos before the Broncos young gun suffered a broken eye socket.

Fifita, 19, was a chance to play a senior Test against Tonga before his injury, such was his dramatic rise in 2019.

Stream Live & On-Demand coverage of the 2019/20 NFL Season with ESPN on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >

Meninga has boldly declared he will chase some of the biggest names in the NRL and he is convinced Fifita could transform the Gold Coast, who finished last in 2019.

“We’ve got to be in the market for players like that,” Meninga said.

“But we’ve got to get ourselves in a position to realistically have a crack at him and players of his ilk.

David Fifita bursts through the PNG defence during the World Cup 9’s. Picture: AAP Image/Brendon Thorne
David Fifita bursts through the PNG defence during the World Cup 9’s. Picture: AAP Image/Brendon Thorne
“We’ve got a lot of cap management to go through. We’ve got to be patient, back our nerve, trust the market and see what happens.

“There is no doubt he’d be a player of great influence on the club.

“I’ve worked with him the last few weeks and he’s an extraordinary talent for someone so young. His better years are in front of us.

“If we can get ourselves into a position, from a cap point of view, to ask the question then why not?”

The Titans may have trouble prising Fifita from the Broncos and he is expected to fetch more than $1 million-a-season.

Jordan Kahu has made his return to Red Hill. Picture: Alix Sweeney
Jordan Kahu has made his return to Red Hill. Picture: Alix SweeneyKAHU EXPLAINS RED HILL RETURN
JORDAN Kahu has explained his bizarre return to the Broncos.

Kahu is back at Red Hill for the 2020 season after spending last season with the North Queensland Cowboys.

The former Kiwi international was released from his Broncos contract in February this year with two years left to run, however the Cowboys only offered him a one-year deal for 2019.

Not wanting to forfeit a guaranteed salary for 2020, believed to be around $400,000, the Broncos agreed to bring back Kahu if he could not find a contract elsewhere.

Kahu later slammed the Broncos in a column, claiming he was “pissed off” with how the saga panned out following the arrival of new coach Anthony Seibold.

But he is now back at the Broncos as one of Seibold’s top 30 contracted players.

Kahu, 28, returned to Brisbane injured and underwent a shoulder reconstruction last week which will sideline him for five months, effectively crushing his entire pre-season campaign.

He said the shoulder injury made it difficult to find a new club.

“When I moved to the Cowboys I had two years left on my Brisbane contract – 2019 and 2020,” Kahu said in a YouTube video.

“The Cowboys only wanted me for 2019. When we left the Broncos it was in our best interests to keep that second-year deal in case nothing popped up.

“With my shoulder it’s hard to negotiate terms with other clubs and teams. I’m going to have to rehab this as best as I can.

“You’ve heard it from me now so no-one can twist the story. I’m officially signed at the Brisbane Broncos next year.”

The Kahu situation is quite unique and not ideal for the Broncos as the club looks to improve its roster despite having salary cap pressure.

Blake Green looks unlikely to make a move to Red Hill. Picture: Hagen Hopkins/Getty Images
Blake Green looks unlikely to make a move to Red Hill. Picture: Hagen Hopkins/Getty ImagesNO GREEN LIGHT ON BLAKE
BRONCOS coach Anthony Seibold insists veteran playmaker Blake Green will not be at Red Hill next season.

The Warriors are happy to offload Green and the 33-year-old has been linked to a move under Seibold, who has forged a strong friendship with the former Storm star from their days at Melbourne.

Rumours of Green joining Brisbane have intensified but Seibold told Blindside a recent catch up is not a sign he will offer the journeyman a contract.

“I caught up with him and his wife and kids as they are family friends, not for footy reasons,” Seibold said from America where he is on a study trip.

“Blake is a good guy but he won’t be considered at the Broncos.”

Matt Gillett with wife Skye and kids Hunter and Harper. Picture: Steve Pohlner
Matt Gillett with wife Skye and kids Hunter and Harper. Picture: Steve PohlnerMATT’S WELL-DESERVED BREAK
FORMER Broncos forward Matt Gillett has wasted no time enjoying his retirement.

Gillett made an emotional exit from the NRL last Thursday when he announced his immediate retirement from the game due to a shoulder injury.

The ex-Queensland and Kangaroos enforcer made 200 NRL appearances for the Broncos and was forced to quit with three years remaining on his contract.

Gillett was in tears announcing his retirement as the reality of the situation hit home.

But he was able to get away with his family soon after, heading to northern NSW for a well-earned holiday.

Gillett was spotted in the sleepy coastal towns of Wooli and Minnie Water, east of Grafton, lapping up some sunshine.

Local spies told Blindside that Gillett was very friendly and seemed to be in a good space following his emotional announcement.

“Not sure if you’ve heard of them, but that David Fifita bloke from the Broncos looks pretty good, same with that Payne Haas fella.”

Mal Meninga, with his finger very much on the pulse...

Nothing gets past you Big Mal!

Last edited:
Matt Gillett, the club legend took for the team so the Broncos could chase a gun player, nek minut, Kahu returns apologetically to a team he left unhappily who happily want him back. Sounds like a basket case of a club to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Porthoz
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.