Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Origin certainties: Haas, Fifita

Likely: Flegler, Carrigan

Possible: Oates, Joffa, Staggs

Unlikely: Croft, Milford

That’s it. Notice the distinct lack of backline players in the certain or likely categories as well?

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Origin certainties: Haas, Fifita

Likely: Flegler, Carrigan

Possible: Oates, Joffa, Staggs

Unlikely: Croft, Milford

That’s it. Notice the distinct lack of backline players in the certain or likely categories as well?

Staggs is a pretty good chance, it may very well be a two-horse race between him and Bradman Best to partner Turbo, based on form. They could also go with Wighton again, but I think he's more likely to be the bench utility.

There's really nobody else it could be outside those 3, surely JMoz is too old. JRob is pretty much blacklisted because of his off-field habits and the history of NSW culture issues, Ramien maybe - But I think Staggs offers more.

Honestly based on what I've seen of him, I think they should be blooding Best this year, he looks made for Origin.

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
What hookers are coming off contract that would be a handy pick up?

Last edited:
Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
What hookers are coming off contract that would be a handy pick up?
Honestly at this point you just need to hope and pray that either Jake Turpin can go up another couple of gears, Cory Paix becomes an overnight revelation in the role, or that Cam Smith plays on in 2021 and Harry Grant comes on the market.

None of the elite Dummy Half's are likely to be available, and Grant to me seems to be the only potentially elite one with even a remote chance of being on the table in the near future.

Last edited:
Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
Speaking of Dummy Halves, it strikes me as odd in a time like this that nobody has mentioned Billy Brittain, the Brisbane product who won player of the year in the NSWRL and has Captained the Residents side as well.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Honestly at this point you just need to hope and pray that either Jake Turpin can go up another couple of gears, Cory Paix becomes an overnight revelation in the role, or that Cam Smith plays on in 2021 and Harry Grant comes on the market.

None of the elite Dummy Half's are likely to be available, and Grant to me seems to be the only potentially elite one with even a remote chance of being on the table in the near future.
I think you're right... it's unlikely that any of the established top shelf hookers are moving... and realistically the only top shelf ones are CS9 and Hodgson anyway.

McInness is getting raps, but looks like a faster Macca.

I think this needs to be a serious discussion within the Broncos as they need to identify a promising talent that can be brought in... I'm not sold on Turpin and I'm not sold on Paix purely because reports suggest he's not fully invested in being a hooker at this stage.

I like the look of Verrils... he has a very good pass and is quick enough to exploit lazy markers, but roosters won't lose him with them pushing Friend out the door anyway.

Grant is the obvious target, but storm have earmarked him as the successor, which makes you think BSmith... but storm have turned him into a very useful lock, and he's starting to become a Cam Murray with his bustling style, but would then be able to relieve the hooker if needed (very versatile).

It makes me wonder if we could do similar with Turps if we found a suitable hooker option. Turps is a great defender in the middle already and provides great support play, but has limitations with his DH play. If he could become a bustling middle forward he then becomes a utility option off the bench and able to cover hooker and halves (at a pinch). Warriors have done the same with Jazz... and even Canberra have Havili. Having a backup hooker that can come on and do a job as a middle forward is becoming a tactical advantage for teams and doesnt waste a bench spot

Anyway it's already apparent that storm and roosters have succession plans in place... whilst cowboys have Robson already locked in, and tigers push along with Simpkin or Liddle.

It makes you wonder why the Broncos have not had zero succession plan in place for Macca... he's been untouchable since getting the reins not unsurprising with Griffin (his 20's coach), but Bennett should've seen the limitations he had and looked to lock in a successor (instead we had Waddel hanging around).

Looks like Seibold has identified the need but it may he too little too late

Last edited:
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Last edited:
B

Bongo

NRL Player
Oct 10, 2013
Speaking of Dummy Halves, it strikes me as odd in a time like this that nobody has mentioned Billy Brittain, the Brisbane product who won player of the year in the NSWRL and has Captained the Residents side as well.
I think St George signed him. There is potentially Parcell or Hastings from the ESL. I agree Grant is the one you want to sign but he won't leave Melbourne. I think the Broncos have elected to develop young talent like Paix rather than signing any experienced backup after Seggy's suspension. Its a big problem that won't be solved this year unless Paix steps up when the team decides not to drop every ball or give multiple 6 agains all game

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I doubt Benji has been dropped so much as rested. Benji has been on fire this year.

Nah he was dropped judging by Benji's appearance on 360 tonight, and to be honest he does sound pissed about it.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Staggs is a pretty good chance, it may very well be a two-horse race between him and Bradman Best to partner Turbo, based on form. They could also go with Wighton again, but I think he's more likely to be the bench utility.

There's really nobody else it could be outside those 3, surely JMoz is too old. JRob is pretty much blacklisted because of his off-field habits and the history of NSW culture issues, Ramien maybe - But I think Staggs offers more.

Honestly based on what I've seen of him, I think they should be blooding Best this year, he looks made for Origin.

It’s a very small sample size but Best looks scary good. He’s almost immediately the most talented player in his position despite only just debuting at a young age a la an outside back version of Haas.
[automerge]1591696582[/automerge]
Nah he was dropped judging by Benji's appearance on 360 tonight, and to be honest he does sound pissed about it.

Trade Benji for Milf if the tigers cover Milf’s contract, and as always they can have Boyd for free. Tell him to bring Farah with him:

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Get Benji back here!

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
It’s a very small sample size but Best looks scary good. He’s almost immediately the most talented player in his position despite only just debuting at a young age.

I don't think that's even controversial. Centre is extremely thin in 2020, you only have to look at Origin for an example, last year we had a Fullback (Turbo), a Five-Eighth (Wighton), a Halfback (Morgan) and a Halfback turned Fullback turned Centre (Mbye) playing in the Centres.

I think in terms of 'young talent' the only Centres who you could even argue might rival Best at the moment are Staggs, Marsters, Manu & Ramien.

The most impressive thing about Best isn't even his freakish ability, it's his work rate and defence. Based on the two games I've watched of him this year I feel quite comfortable in saying he'll be regarded as the best centre in the game within 18 months.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I'd take the trade for Milford if they took on the majority of his deal. At least we know Benji gives a shit.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Benji mentoring juniors > Milford mentoring juniors.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I think St George signed him. There is potentially Parcell or Hastings from the ESL. I agree Grant is the one you want to sign but he won't leave Melbourne. I think the Broncos have elected to develop young talent like Paix rather than signing any experienced backup after Seggy's suspension. Its a big problem that won't be solved this year unless Paix steps up when the team decides not to drop every ball or give multiple 6 agains all game

Grant isnt nailed on to stay at Melbourne. He already is allowed to leave if Cam Smith stays on after this year. I doubt he would have that in his contract if he wouldnt leave the storm. He is the one player we should chase hard.

The best hookers in the super league are clearly Clark from Warrington or Roby ( even at his age ) Parcell hasnt been that good for a couple of years really now. He isnt the answer.

Last edited:
Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
Grant isnt nailed on to stay at Melbourne. He already is allowed to leave if Cam Smith stays on after this year. I doubt he would have that in his contract if he wouldnt leave the storm. He is the one player we should chase hard.

The best hookers in the super league are clearly Clark from Warrington or Roby ( even at his age ) Parcell hasnt been that good for a couple of years really now. He isnt the answer.
Grant looms as perhaps the most important off field acquisition we could make in the next couple of seasons. Honestly I would have no problem with the club going pretty hard indeed to get him up here to the Broncos. Talent like his in such a key position is so hard to find and the clubs with the elite handful of Dummy Half’s in the game are almost instantly a regular Premiership chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Lozza
  • Dash
  • Santa
  • Mick_Hancock
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Galah
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Footy Fanatic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.