Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if Ikin were to come in as CEO then he would go some way to reinstating relationships and development pathways with the QRL teams... given he's been on the QRL board.

I'm not sure what's been going on with Brisbane, but it seems like we are cutting ties with the local QRL teams.
- Redcliffe... I think this was Bennett when they weren't playing our players where we wanted them or he had a falling out with Mogg?? (I'm sure Wolfie will correct me)
- Ipswich... falling out with the jets, trying underhanded tactics to sign Sam Walker
- Easts severing ties in preparation for a Brisbane 2 bid
- Souths Logan were lost for awhile when Canberra were able to come in
- Norths has been reinstated after they were with Storm for years

I don't know a lot about the politics in the QRL, but it doesn't look like the broncos have a whole lot of prestige about them anymore

Easts Tigers have been with the Storm for a long time

Ipswich and Broncos disagreed how players should be used at the time and severed ties, they are with the knights now

With COVID Broncos cut all agreements with feeder clubs to be reviewed after I believe the season ended. With the announcement that a 2nd Brisbane team was coming they saw an opportunity to align themselves with the Warriors.That way they can push their bid without any interference

Still have Norths, Wynnum and South Logan. Redcliffe and Ipswich I believe are a loss though, so many good players have come through their junior systems

If Smith plays on in Melbourne, is there anything stopping the Storm just loaning Grant out for another season?

It wouldn't surprise me for the Storm to continue to do their best to fark us over, they'll help out Cam and try to push his number up to come here by playing along and feigning interest that they want Cam to stay even though he was always retiring and coming back to QLD.

If Smith plays on Grant is a free agent

I don't think that automatically happens.

According to reports, he has a get out clause he can activate if Smith plays on. But he can also choose to honor his deal at the Storm.

I don't think that automatically happens.

According to reports, he has a get out clause he can activate if Smith plays on. But he can also choose to honor his deal at the Storm.

of course ...

that's what i meant by free agent ... he can choose to sign elsewhere if Smith plays on (of course he can also choose to honour his contract)

of course ...

that's what i meant by free agent ... he can choose to sign elsewhere if Smith plays on (of course he can also choose to honour his contract)
He has a cult following at the Tigers and appears happy to be playing there. May well be harder and more costly to extract him from the Tigers than the Storm If it’s decided he becomes a free agent.

I think the Storm will do everything In their power to retain Smith on the coaching staff as assistant to Bellamy should he decide not to play on, he appears to do a fair bit of that now.

Drinkwater! He is our fullback!
I have not been too impressed with nui, i dont think he is physically mature enough and seems to get man handled, and i know people have spoken about walsh but he is probably a few years off too.

I have thought drinkwater or hynes would be good pick ups because they would not bust the cap but both seem very talented.

If Cam Smith plays on and Grant does go back and stay in Melbourne we need to 100% go after Brandon Smith.
He wants a starting 9 spot and I get the feeling Melbourne would rather keep Grant over B.Smith for the 9 role.
It'd be tough for Turpin, but I think we need to make it happen, get one of the Smith's to Brisbane.

Does anyone know much about this Brendan Pikiara (apologies for spelling)? Is he as good as the highlights look and do the club view him as a key retention moving forward?

Does anyone know much about this Brendan Pikiara (apologies for spelling)? Is he as good as the highlights look and do the club view him as a key retention moving forward?

Apparently we were at risk of loosing him earlier but with Fifita gone dare say they’ll lock him up ASAP

Apparently we were at risk of loosing him earlier but with Fifita gone dare say they’ll lock him up ASAP

To your knowledge was the risk of loosing him only due to Fifita? By that I mean him not seeing an opportunity etc.

Either way he needs to be locked up long term now because you know that Tallis the creepy bastard would already be sniffing around him.

To your knowledge was the risk of loosing him only due to Fifita? By that I mean him not seeing an opportunity etc.

Either way he needs to be locked up long term now because you know that Tallis the creepy bastard would already be sniffing around him.
Titans wouldnt have a spot for him... despite Tino being played as a prop in Melbourne I think he spent his juniors in the 2nd row.

Most likely Tino on the left edge and Fifita on the right edge... so about $2m invested in their back row

Zero tackle reporting on a report saying that retaining Piakura "could way up on" (they meant to write weigh upon but should have written depend upon) David Fifita and his move to Titans. Sounds and looks like he is of the same mould as Fifita and wasn't sure of selection with Fifi in the 12.

Last edited:
Titans wouldnt have a spot for him... despite Tino being played as a prop in Melbourne I think he spent his juniors in the 2nd row.

Most likely Tino on the left edge and Fifita on the right edge... so about $2m invested in their back row

I don't think that would stop Mal and Tallis, they aren't making sensible decisions they are just trying to bring the Broncos done. I don't think they are interested in premierships and if they ran 15th but we were 16th they would consider it job done.

Halfwits and big ego's are a dangerous combination.

Last edited:
Hopefully Brendan Piakura or Jordan Riki can at some point fill the void left by Fifita.

How are those two coming along @1910 ?

Both are hard to get a form line, due to injury and not playing ISC or in Riki's case playing inconsistent ISC- he's played 17 games now since 2018.

What I will say about Riki is when he has been moved back to BRL for Valleys he always takes it well and goes back and is aggressive, that's his best asset.

Piakura's defence is outstanding and one of the best defence efforts last year in the U18 Origin- he was outstanding against much bigger guys, but he needs to play some ISC that would have been good this year- he's only contracted until end of 21. He certainly works hard and Richards will be vital in keeping him. He was great in emerging camp this year and shame he doesn't get to build on that again. He's smart too- has a great combination with Walker in rep teams.

At the moment he is keeping a low profile but if he plays ISC next year and is off contract they will notice him pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • ChewThePhatt
  • winslow_wong
  • Mr Fourex
  • LittleDavey
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • bert_lifts
  • The True King
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Aldo
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncotville
  • Old Mate
  • the_next
  • BruiserMk1
  • johnny plath
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Financeguy
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.