Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to return to a culture of excellence here...

You could argue maybe our feeder clubs need restructuring, maybe have a Tier 1, 2 & 3 arrangement. NRL Economist mentioned this and i gave it short shrift but...maybe its something to look at...

I want us to look at a RTS, a Grant, a Cleary or Moses.......the magic players.....and GO HARD AT THEM...

At the very least, put the comp on notice that thigns are changing here for the better, that excellence is once again being sort and nothing less accepted...

But it starts with culture; look, that might mean we need to embed some guys who are "not" those star-dust types to begin with. Im really keen for TPJ to move to the front row, Haas, Lodge & Pangai makes for a very potent looking middle

If that means we are now light on the edge, id be happy to see Aiden Guerra come in for 1-2 years. Mr 70% each and every game. Start setting examples to the younger guys here.

Plus, hed easily fit our cap...and whats more we can RELY on him...
Would love to get Guerra, what about Bateman? Guerra doesn’t do anything flashy therefore he doesn’t make the headlines but he absolutely does the one %s. I loved his short stint for qld too.

Last edited:
I care if they are a decent person. I think a big part of the problem at the club is that our older players are setting a shit example for our younger players.
Tamou would deadset set a bad example for the younger players.
We want to improve the culture at the Broncos, not degrade it further.

Some of our biggest names in our club history are people that were and still are complete and utter wankers.

Like I said, who gives a shit if they aren't a nice person? As long as they put in. That's all that matters.

Bringing in players that provide a great work ethic and lead by example is how we fix the culture. What type of person they are doesn't matter one bit.

We need to return to a culture of excellence here...

You could argue maybe our feeder clubs need restructuring, maybe have a Tier 1, 2 & 3 arrangement. NRL Economist mentioned this and i gave it short shrift but...maybe its something to look at...

I want us to look at a RTS, a Grant, a Cleary or Moses.......the magic players.....and GO HARD AT THEM...

At the very least, put the comp on notice that thigns are changing here for the better, that excellence is once again being sort and nothing less accepted...

But it starts with culture; look, that might mean we need to embed some guys who are "not" those star-dust types to begin with. Im really keen for TPJ to move to the front row, Haas, Lodge & Pangai makes for a very potent looking middle

If that means we are now light on the edge, id be happy to see Aiden Guerra come in for 1-2 years. Mr 70% each and every game. Start setting examples to the younger guys here.

Plus, hed easily fit our cap...and whats more we can RELY on him...
RTS would be all but impossible to pry away from the Warriors, but he's precisely the kind of player we should move mountains to recruit.

Leadership, professionalism, elite talent and most importantly he plays precisely the position we are going to need to fill going into 2021 and beyond.

I wonder what this will mean for our little mate Macca?
He was always coming back. I've been saying this for some time now despite what other people believed.

He didn't end up at the Knights by accident, he went there to replace an injured Brailey, who the Knights had already gone out on a limb to recruit. Without that injury, Macca was never going there, and once a full recovery is made, again Macca would be surplus to their needs.

Short of us being exceedingly lucky and finding another club to take him off our hands, he's all but certain to be a Bronco again in 2021.

Last edited:
Some of our biggest names in our club history are people that were and still are complete and utter wankers.

Like I said, who gives a shit if they aren't a nice person? As long as they put in. That's all that matters.

Bringing in players that provide a great work ethic and lead by example is how we fix the culture. What type of person they are doesn't matter one bit.
I don't care if he's a nice person either, I just don't want us to pay through the nose (and for a mercenary like Tamou who would go to the highest bidder, we'd absolutely need to pay through the nose) for a bloke who has already played his best football and doesn't actually fill a position we have a genuine need for, just because we want some older heads around.

He was always coming back. I've been saying this for some time now despite what other people believed.

He didn't end up at the Knights by accident, he went there to replace an injured Brailey, who the Knights had already gone out on a limb to recruit. Without that injury, Macca was never going there, and once a full recovery is made, again Macca would be surplus to their needs.

Short of us being exceedingly lucky and finding another club to take him off our hands, he's all but certain to be a Bronco again in 2021.

dont want to beat a almost dead horse here...

If Macca, Boyd and Milf were Rooster players instead of Broncos players...would they still be on their books today...?

But this isn't completely true. His career has been quite up and down, some periods of amazing performances, particularly in contract years I think, interspersed with some very average seasons. This is not the lessons the Broncos need and especially at the price he will be asking.

I'd inquire if Moose wants to come back, they'd be on similar money and regardless of his personality, he never gives less than 120%.

I totally agree with Guerra coming in. Plus he is a Qlder and he will be relatively cheap.

I think the building blocks for the next premiership are already at the club but the builder has no idea how to get there and is throwing bricks all over the construction site and hoping they will build something.

On that note, no players are going to change the performance if the culture is still total rubbish and the head of that rotten culture is still there. (The board is another story)

Anywho, I'd be going after ex-Broncos and/or Qlders to try and bring culture back, including the coach - which means the choice should be between Walters, Green (yuck!), Hodges, maybe the Walkers.

Bring in Guerra, Opacic, maybe Lui, maybe McGuire. Then chase a gun or two in Keary and Grant. Do NOT chase Tamou or any other high priced forward, there is already way too much money in the forwards.

dont want to beat a almost dead horse here...

If Macca, Boyd and Milf were Rooster players instead of Broncos players...would they still be on their books today...?
Not a chance.

That's the thing about the Roosters, everyone thinks they're rorting the cap with the way they recruit seemingly impossible rosters (there is likely some truth to this) but nobody ever talks about the real rorting that goes on with how the Roosters seem to magically also be able to dispose of any player they want at the exact moment they want while every other club in the comp is stuck with players they can't ever seem to shift.

I still want Macca to come back but as a lock or even a back up 6 / 9. I think he is perfect for what we need as a lock. He hits and sticks, he glues the middle together and goodness me this side needs that and he is great defensively and covering work. He should not be the 9 but as a 13, he could be exactly what is needed in the short-term, so long as he is willing to change position. Carrigan moves to 8/10 and Haas moves to the second-row.

But this isn't completely true. His career has been quite up and down, some periods of amazing performances, particularly in contract years I think, interspersed with some very average seasons. This is not the lessons the Broncos need and especially at the price he will be asking.

I'd inquire if Moose wants to come back, they'd be on similar money and regardless of his personality, he never gives less than 120%.

I totally agree with Guerra coming in. Plus he is a Qlder and he will be relatively cheap.

I think the building blocks for the next premiership are already at the club but the builder has no idea how to get there and is throwing bricks all over the construction site and hoping they will build something.

On that note, no players are going to change the performance if the culture is still total rubbish and the head of that rotten culture is still there. (The board is another story)

Anywho, I'd be going after ex-Broncos and/or Qlders to try and bring culture back, including the coach - which means the choice should be between Walters, Green (yuck!), Hodges, maybe the Walkers.

Bring in Guerra, Opacic, maybe Lui, maybe McGuire. Then chase a gun or two in Keary and Grant. Do NOT chase Tamou or any other high priced forward, there is already way too much money in the forwards.
This is so true. It's not a player or even a couple of players that are going to save us unless we do something dramatic to shift the culture and the people running the show.

I wouldnt mind Tamou for around the 600k mark but any more than that shows our fall from grace as a club having to pay overs. Ask most Penrith fans and they will say he has had as many ordinary games as good games, especially when he first joined which is the concern if he came here.

Agree with others that we need to start targeting some gun players like RTS even if it doesnt seem possible. Its time to start putting the other clubs on notice and build towards the old Broncos arrogance of yesteryear.

A back line of Farnworth, Opacic, Staggs, and Coates is as good as any, if only we had someone at the club who’s job it was to coach them. If they could defend and be utilised properly there is a lot of potential.
If you chuck an RTS at the back of it, we’re doing very well.

I still want Macca to come back but as a lock or even a back up 6 / 9. I think he is perfect for what we need as a lock. He hits and sticks, he glues the middle together and goodness me this side needs that and he is great defensively and covering work. He should not be the 9 but as a 13, he could be exactly what is needed in the short-term, so long as he is willing to change position. Carrigan moves to 8/10 and Haas moves to the second-row.
So we should move the best young Prop in the game to the Second Row where he's never played before, then move our first gun Lock in years into the Front Row for reasons, just to squeeze in a largely past it Dummy Half who has never played even a minute of Lock Forward at NRL level.

I'll give you this, it definitely sounds like something Anthony Siebold would try.

I think defensively he might be ok at lock but i would be very concerned about his ability to contribute in attack. We would require Carrigan and Lodge to do more dirty work when we are on the back foot for meters Macca won't be getting in the middle.

Wow she’s hot.

Ellie Kemper? Ummm yes, yes she is.

Broncos 2020 remind me of the investing wisdom from Warren Buffett that you should buy companies that are so good than 'any idiot' could run them, because sooner or later.. one will!

Broncos have such a strong financial base (compared with all other NRL clubs) and large structural advantages that a competent leadership could return to on field success quickly I believe. Start by behaving like you are in control and not the desperate last chance buyer in a negotiation.

The Broncos are a club that can play the long game.

> Restore negotiating power.. The Bennett Seibold saga, Fifita dithering (20 meetings after he was on the open market.) All player options and back ended contracts reek of lack of power and poor planning and negotiating. There is no reason this needs to be tolerated. Identify the constraint and remove it.

> The board could talk to each other, mixed messages are terrible (Are we rebuilding or not? Is there a genuine performance clause or not?) and there is a habit of passing the accountability somewhere else.

> The playing culture stinks. More of the mixed messages and lack of accountability. Senior players not being dropped and a new benchmark of accepting positives in defeats.. (Other Broncos teams have been beaten by more...if you don't think this defeat is chalk and cheese different from the last defeat you weren't watching).

Defeats are tolerable when you have done your best. What is being dished up by the Broncs this year is not acceptable.

Last edited:
Not a chance.

That's the thing about the Roosters, everyone thinks they're rorting the cap with the way they recruit seemingly impossible rosters (there is likely some truth to this) but nobody ever talks about the real rorting that goes on with how the Roosters seem to magically also be able to dispose of any player they want at the exact moment they want while every other club in the comp is stuck with players they can't ever seem to shift.

I dont have the inside track on it...

But they are happy to be a year too early in moving on guys they think have peaked, but they rarely do it 1-2 years too late, which is precisely what we have tried..

It means while they back-end the contracts to facilitate them moving on its managable. It doesnt disrupt the succession planning they have in mind..

It also means they are doing it from a position of strength; where as we do it from a position of weakness...

Sadly, another area of the game where we have been overtaken...

We have plenty of props, but they are all young props still at the start of their career and still learning the game, even Lodge who has only played 64 games. This is one of our problems. We don't have a leader. They need leadership, they need an old head to learn from.

The chances of Tamou declining to a point where he would be detrimental to the side are quite slim. He's a type of player that has a great work ethic, always puts in the hard work and leads be example. That's what we need. He's still in good form, he's still in the top 10 props of the game, he'd be a great addition to the side. Bromwich, as well.

Out of the options available. Tamou and Bromwich are the best choices.

Like I said, we need someone now. We can't wait around a couple of years until a better option becomes available.

Tamou only left the Cowboys because his wife wanted to return to Sydney to be closer to her family.

Therefore it seems very unlikely Brisbane would be an option for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Tmac
  • Culhwch
  • Manofoneway
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • Ondi
  • rj9
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.