Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is macca confirmed to be back on our books for next year?

We would have the choice of Macca, Turpin, Paix and possibly Hunt at 9.

I would shop milford, Hunt at 6 (400K-500k), Deardon at 7, Turpin and Paix to battle for 9. I do think Paix might have the long term edge over Turps with durability and strength.

Last edited:
You could shop Milford but he won't go anywhere, he came here to live in Brisbane I don't think he fancies going anywhere and the Titans have already flashed the cash for next season.

The problem is Milford's next contract. If he plays the house down next year, he will want a million again and this club should be offering him no more than half of that.

I don't see that as a problem. If Milford plays the house down. Great! Just be weary that he is doing it in his last year of his contract when you look to resign him. If another club competing wants to pay overs then that's their problem.

I'm happy to keep Milford for one more year. The worse that happens he comes off the books at the season end. I would be interested if he responds to a new coach.

Part of me is also old school and the Broncos should wait for some of these contracts to expire. Rather then paying massive amounts for them to play somewhere else.

Milford and Bird are highly unlikely to be going anywhere. Their contracts are far too cumbersome for any other club to take on even just a solid portion of considering how little return they've provided in recent seasons.

Macca is another that needs a fair bit of luck to go our way if we want his contract off our books in 2020 too. Personally I think we'd better start making peace with the idea that he'll be back at Brisbane in 2021 unless something bizzare like Brailey's ACL at the Knights happens again.

Surely we could get Brandon Smith for $600K.. right?

He's going to be behind Smith and/or Grant regardless. I can guarantee he's available.
I'd be stunned if $600K had us anywhere near being top bidder for him. Aside from being a gun in a key spine position, there is also the 'Melbourne Tax' that all ex-Storm players attract in the market. I think something close to $800K wouldn't be out of the question for him to be fielding offers for.

Last edited:
*Ex-Rooster dollars.
Current Rooster dollars they’re only worth tree-fiddy.
This 100%.

I can't wait to watch SBW's contract gradually evolve over the Summer off season from the pittance they registered his contract for this season to some astronomical figure of salary cap space that they'll have at their disposal once his contract is off their books. Even better will be watching the Fox pundits squirm in their chairs as they continue to sell the story that the Roosters are just so much better at managing their cap than everyone else.

I’m super weary of smith, he’s a gun but stiles me as someone who goes so fucking hard he’s going to break himself.

I read some shit article that we’re letting Staggs, Coates and Flegler gauge interests in November, why the **** would we do that? Do we want to either lose some of our better players or pay much more for them? Surely it’s a load of shit.

I'd be stunned if $600K had us anywhere near being top bidder for him. Aside from being a gun in a key spine position, there is also the 'Melbourne Tax' that all ex-Storm players attract in the market. I think something close to $800K wouldn't be out of the question for him to be fielding offers for.
I know it's not much but I think it's worth pointing out. Brandon Smith is recovering from a nasty jaw break and has a couple of titanium plates fitted to help stabilize it so he's currently unavailable for selection at the Storm. I watched with great envy when I saw him at last weekend's manly game. There he was running up and down the sidelines encouraging and exhorting his boys who were ON the field to greater efforts, running water and messages and anything else to contribute to the team. Nothing was too trivial or below him. His obvious humility becomes him.

Seriously, some of our workshy pricks currently on the sideline due to injury or suspension could learn a great deal by studying B Smith's teamwork ethic. Good on him. Wish we had a few like him at the Broncos.

I read some shit article that we’re letting Staggs, Coates and Flegler gauge interests in November, why the **** would we do that? Do we want to either lose some of our better players or pay much more for them? Surely it’s a load of shit.
Must have been some shit article you read that in.

Must have been some shit article you read that in.
It’s like they say, the shit winds are coming. It’s gonna blow in to a big shit storm, big shit tornado shitting on all of us.

I read that article too. It might be based on the rumours a while back stating that Staggs and Coates were looking to get out. I really can't blame them for considering their options. This season has probably been anything but enjoyable for them dealing with the media scrutiny and the constant pressure put on them and 50 point scorelines. Hopefully a competent CEO and coach are put in place soon which may or may not convince them to hang around.

Last edited:
I daresay it's just a reminder email sent out by their managers that they're off contract as of November 1 and they need some media hype to bump their prices

I very much doubt the Broncos are saying to their 2 star centres on the rise that they should go check their value in the market

I read that article too. It might be based on the rumours a while back stating that Staggs and Coates were looking to get out. I really can't blame them for considering their options. This season has probably been anything but enjoyable for them dealing with the media scrutiny and the constant pressure put on them and 50 point scorelines. Hopefully a competent CEO and coach are put in place soon which may or may not convince them to hang around.

Where is this article? I can't find it anywhere.

I’d take Hunt back for half price as a hooker or a back up six depending on what’s going on with Milford. Imagine having two halves that show up every week and can tackle. Would be wild. I think Jesse Bromwich is a must as our forward leader, Guerra as a fill in for a year until someone is available, Opacic just to cover that centre spot, chase the hell out of Brett Morris or Alex Johnston if possible. We have to spend the money for next season and a few of them would be handy for at least a year.

Other than this I can’t see many options available at the moment. But we all know how rugby league contracts work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bish
  • MrMoore
  • levikaden
  • kiwibronco
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.