Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomkins doesn't suit the Broncos defensive game plan. We would never sign a player like him for big money.

Throw a million at smith per year, seriously. Just get him here at all costs. We might even be able to attract more good players with him as a marquee signing.

Gee wont even think about it out of spite because the media are talking about it.

yeah so offer him 250k tops and let the 'flat track bully' prove himself in a REAL rugby league competition over the grind of 26 rounds ... if this so-called "billy slater of super league" turns out to be as good as billy slater of the NRL THEN pay him accordingly ....

but writing blank cheques to players with absolutely no runs on the board in the NRL is ludicrous ...
No it's called a risk, look at Tony Williams signed for reportedly 800k and is a useless git. Even signing NRL players isn't a sure thing that they'll perform in their new club.

Do you think Tomkins would be better than Maranta?

yeah so offer him 250k tops and let the 'flat track bully' prove himself in a REAL rugby league competition over the grind of 26 rounds ... if this so-called "billy slater of super league" turns out to be as good as billy slater of the NRL THEN pay him accordingly ....

but writing blank cheques to players with absolutely no runs on the board in the NRL is ludicrous ...

Everything is a risk. Tomkins could be Scott Minto and he still wouldn't rival Adam Blair's bust status.

Regardless, it's only really a risk if you have something better to lose (which admittedly the Warriors do). If I had the choice of paying Tomkins 750k a season or paying Wallace 400k, Stagg 200k and Sanderson 150k I'd choose the former every second of every minute of every hour of every day of every week of every year.

Everything is a risk. Tomkins could be Scott Minto and he still wouldn't rival Adam Blair's bust status.

Regardless, it's only really a risk if you have something better to lose (which admittedly the Warriors do). If I had the choice of paying Tomkins 750k a season or paying Wallace 400k, Stagg 200k and Sanderson 150k I'd choose the former every second of every minute of every hour of every day of every week of every year.
+9001.

I knew I was forgetting someone but yes Adam Blair, another useless git who was signed on massive money.

I'd much prefer we actually approached Quade Cooper and said we want you. Less of a risk IMO. Lives in Brisbane as well. We need to approach a player regardless of contract status and say we want you so what can we do to make this happen.

No it's called a risk, look at Tony Williams signed for reportedly 800k and is a useless git. Even signing NRL players isn't a sure thing that they'll perform in their new club.

Do you think Tomkins would be better than Maranta?
Sorry, the risk is too great to use our cap space in a gamble.
It could pay off (I doubt it), but it could backfire big time and we wouldn't even be able to correct it, because we would have a big chunk of our cap tied up to a player that turned out to be a dud. :001_unsure:

You knee jerk way too much about players with flashy moves mate! :001_tt2:

Has Tomkins even showed anything other than his speed and ability to break through the SL lines. Haven't seen much in terms of ball playing ability in all the highlights I've seen. I reckon Locke could do the same shit in the SL.

Potentially true, but we don't use our cap space properly as it is, so in our case I don't think it's as big an issue.

As for the highlights, he's showed some good ball playing ability. His defence looks absolutely horrendous, but is attack does look to be genuinely top draw.

It could pay off (I doubt it), but it could backfire big time and we wouldn't even be able to correct it, because we would have a big chunk of our cap tied up to a player that turned out to be a dud. :001_unsure:

You knee jerk way too much about players with flashy moves mate! :001_tt2:

Has Tomkins even showed anything other than his speed and ability to break through the SL lines. Haven't seen much in terms of ball playing ability in all the highlights I've seen. I reckon Locke could do the same **** in the SL.
Tomkins is no ordinary player, his stats/achievements are extraordinary and he's also played well against Australia in the very few times he's played against them. Again though signing any player on big dollars is a significant risk because there's no guarantees how they'll perform. The upside is if he did turn out to be a superstar he's 24 and could be a game winner for us for many years.

I accept we're not going to sign him but regardless I'm excited to see how he goes in the NRL, he's only 24 and within a year or 2 could prove to be an elite fullback in the NRL. He's 4th in try assists from fullback so he clearly can setup a try as well as score one and he also has/can play in the halves.

Tomkins would be a brilliant pick up...if we could have signed him on the same wages as Graham, Burgess & Ellis but as it stands the guy wants overs to make the transfer to the NRL.

It's long odds that he'll be as valuable as his pay cheque and unlike other genuine superstars he wouldn't come with the same perks. (eg. 3rd party sponsers, attracting other players, attracting more members etc.) at least initially.

And if he bombs that's a lot of cash gone.

Still, at least pwn is throwing a name up there. All these hollow points about how Brisbane should sign a star and when somebody throws up a name of course they're chastised by some for doing so.

This is why we haven't signed anyone decent in many years - "What if he fails?".

Or maybe it's because we were looking to retain the squad that helped us to our best regular season since 2000 and got us off to a good start in 2012?

Here's a list of players I'd like for management to look into, just throwing it out there. All these players are off contract this year except Graham and SJ.

In order.

Shaun Johnson
Cameron Smith - 2nd because he'd cost a lotttttt
Sam Tomkins
James Graham
Thomas Burgess - G burgers twin!!
Josh Dugan - he only signed for this year, if he's on his best behaviour from now until end of the year he'd be worth another look.
SBW - Won't happen but once again worth a look
Marika Koroibete
Nigel Plum
Kevin Naiqama
Ben Ross
Nathan Friend
Kevin Locke
Ken Sio

And before someone has a sook this doesn't mean I want to sign all those players, just the option of signing them explored with their signing price being the key figure, don't want to pay overs in most cases.

Last edited:
I used to think we could pick and choose, it's pretty clear we can't anymore so just sign anyone that's willing.
That's exactly what the club shouldn't do, sign players just for he sake of it!

Of the players still off contract I would be happy to take Lama Tasi and Kevin Naiqama, also if Benji fell into our lap at the right price I would take him but I would not pay what he thinks he is worth

Or maybe it's because we were looking to retain the squad that helped us to our best regular season since 2000 and got us off to a good start in 2012?

That squad needs a class player/s injection.....it's a good base but it's not going to get the job done, ever.

Halfback - 2014: Godinet or S. Williams >>>>> 2015: Milford or Johnson >>>>> 2016: (opens right up) DCE, Zezer, Foran, Maloney, Campese, Marshall, A. Rreynolds....(A.Taylor ????)

Props - 2014: T.Burgess, Ross (not a hell of a lot to chose from) >>>>> 2015: G. Burgess (could be attracted by brother Tom), Fifita, Woods, Graham, Kennedy, Packer, Mannah >>>>> 2016: Myles, Matulino, Kasiano, Grant, McKendry, Bromwich

I'd much prefer we actually approached Quade Cooper and said we want you. Less of a risk IMO. Lives in Brisbane as well.

Mehhh....pass

We need to approach a player regardless of contract status and say we want you so what can we do to make this happen.

^^ THIS ^^ +1 (Yes ....DCE, this involves you)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Aldo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • theshed
  • Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • Skyblues87
  • Wolfie
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Xzei
  • eggstar10
  • johnny plath
  • heartly87
  • simplythebest
  • winslow_wong
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Tim K
  • Volvo Driver
  • leish107
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.