Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
mole is wrong a fair bit but he's also on the money with alot of news well in advance. i suspect he just makes alot of somewhat educated guesses and talks himself up when he gets it right.

lets hope hes right on this one.

Edit; Also if Stagg and Prince retire / move on that would free up an extra $300,000 to spend on re-signing some more of the young guys.
I admire the effort you put into the post, makes for some interested reading but there's not a chance in the world Barba would come for 400. No way. Not even a chance.

We could maybe afford Barba and Shillo but no way can we afford Barba, Shillo and Marshall IMO, unless we ditch 2 solid first graders...

Last edited:
I admire the effort you put into the post, makes for some interested reading but there's not a chance in the world Barba would come for 400. No way. Not even a chance.

We could maybe afford Barba and Shillo but no way can we afford Barba, Shillo and Marshall IMO, unless we ditch 2 solid first graders...

That might've been inaccurate, but I think we can get him for $600,000, same with Marshall, which we can afford.

For arguments sake -

Benji Marshall - $600,000
Ben Barba - $600,000
Justin Hodges - $350,000
Ben Hannant - $350,000
Sam Thaiday - $350,000
Peter Wallace - $350,000
Matt Gillet - $350,000
Jack Reed - $350,000
Alex Glenn - $300,000
Andrew McCullough - $300,000
Jharal Yow Yeh - $300,000
Josh Hoffman - $300,000
Josh McGuire - $300,000
Corey Parker - $300,000
Ben Hunt - $150,000
David Hala - $150,000
Jordan Kahu - $150,000
Dale Copley - $100,000
Ashley Taylor - $100,000
Lama Tasi - $100,000
Francis Molo - $50,000
Caleb Timu - $50,000
Corey Oates - $50,000
Jarrod Wallace - $50,000
Brendon Gibb - $50,000
Cameron Cullen - $50,000
Kurt Baptiste - $50,000
Mitchell Dodds - $50,000
Aaron Whitchurch - $50,000

= $6,300,000 - Which is the salary cap for 2014

I obviously know the odds of all of those contracts being accurate is impossible, but as a rough guide, it's certainly POSSIBLE, yet unlikely.

For arguments sake -

Benji Marshall - $600,000
Ben Barba - $600,000
Justin Hodges - $350,000
Ben Hannant - $350,000
Sam Thaiday - $350,000
Peter Wallace - $350,000
Matt Gillet - $350,000
Jack Reed - $350,000
Alex Glenn - $300,000
Andrew McCullough - $300,000
Jharal Yow Yeh - $300,000
Josh Hoffman - $300,000
Josh McGuire - $300,000
Corey Parker - $300,000
Ben Hunt - $150,000
David Hala - $150,000
Jordan Kahu - $150,000
Dale Copley - $100,000
Ashley Taylor - $100,000
Lama Tasi - $100,000
Francis Molo - $50,000
Caleb Timu - $50,000
Corey Oates - $50,000
Jarrod Wallace - $50,000
Brendon Gibb - $50,000
Cameron Cullen - $50,000
Kurt Baptiste - $50,000
Mitchell Dodds - $50,000
Aaron Whitchurch - $50,000

= $6,300,000 - Which is the salary cap for 2014

I obviously know the odds of all of those contracts being accurate is impossible, but as a rough guide, it's certainly POSSIBLE, yet unlikely.

And with the minimum wage for Top 25 squad being brought up to $80,000 will make abit more of a difference, but I'm hoping we could make things work

Last edited:
Just remember a players contract amount is reflected by their form at the time they signed it, you also have to take into account 3rd party deals and salary cap allowances such as veteran player allowance (8 years) and marquee player allowance.

And with the minimum wage for Top 25 squad being brought up to $80,000 will make abit more of a difference, but I'm hoping we could make things work

Oh yeah, didn't factor that in, might make it a bit more difficult to get 2 stars.

Just remember a players contract amount is reflected by their form at the time they signed it, you also have to take into account 3rd party deals and salary cap allowances such as veteran player allowance (8 years) and marquee player allowance.

3rd party deals are included in the salary cap? Not sure how that works to be honest.

Oh yeah, didn't factor that in, might make it a bit more difficult to get 2 stars.

3rd party deals are included in the salary cap? Not sure how that works to be honest.
I could be totally wrong here but i think 3rd party deals are allowed to be found by the club up to a certain amount above the salary cap but it is limited. 3rd party deals brokered by the players agent are not included in the cap.
Sponsors cannot be put forward by the club to the players agent for a 3rd party deal but i would assume this rule is bypassed. How could it be policed.
This may be a little inaccurate. Not something i totally retained so it is a little hazy

I could be totally wrong here but i think 3rd party deals are allowed to be found by the club up to a certain amount above the salary cap but it is limited. 3rd party deals brokered by the players agent are not included in the cap.
Sponsors cannot be put forward by the club to the players agent for a 3rd party deal but i would assume this rule is bypassed. How could it be policed.
This may be a little inaccurate. Not something i totally retained so it is a little hazy

From what I remember, any 3rd party deal that is guaranteed by the club has to be included in the cap. So if the deal falls through or the player does't get paid, the club isn't allowed to make it up to them. It's the reason Gasnier first left the Dragons - we was screwed over by those 3rd party deals and the Dragons were powerless to make good on them. Same with any deal with a sponsor of the club or a deal that relies on them playing for a particular team or region - if so, they need to be included in the cap. These are the ones that the Rabbitohs tried to rort the Inglis deal with. A bunch of deals that relied on him playing for the Rabbitohs (local BMW dealership etc) but they tried to have them outside the cap.

So, if the current rumours come through, we'd be looking like this for 2014:

1) Barba <qld 18th man>
2) Hoffman <current NZ>
3) Reed <current England>
4) Hodges <Current Qld & Aus>
5) Kahu

6) Marshall <Current NZ>
7) Wallace <prev NSW>

8) Hannant <prev Qld>
9) McCullough
10) Shillington <Prev Qld & Aus>
11) Glenn <current NZ>
12) Thaiday <current Qld & Aus>
13) Parker <current Qld & Aus>

14) Gillett <current Qld>
15) McGuire <qld 18th man>
16) Hala
17) Tasi

Edit: I've added rep experience next to the names - no excuses if they don't perform.

Last edited:
who cares about the rep stuff? it's just something to convince ourselves they'll play well, case in point: wallace. certainly hasn't played like an origin rep (or maybe he has considering his state...)

They should have no excuses for not performing regardless of their former, current or future representative prospects - they are professional footballers.

From what I remember, any 3rd party deal that is guaranteed by the club has to be included in the cap. So if the deal falls through or the player does't get paid, the club isn't allowed to make it up to them. It's the reason Gasnier first left the Dragons - we was screwed over by those 3rd party deals and the Dragons were powerless to make good on them. Same with any deal with a sponsor of the club or a deal that relies on them playing for a particular team or region - if so, they need to be included in the cap. These are the ones that the Rabbitohs tried to rort the Inglis deal with. A bunch of deals that relied on him playing for the Rabbitohs (local BMW dealership etc) but they tried to have them outside the cap.

I was under the impression it is a set figure above the cap but if the third party fell through and the club guarantees it then it falls back into the club paid cap to stop clubs fudging the deals.
You could be right but this was my understanding of 3rd party deals

1) Barba <qld 18th man>
2) Hoffman <current NZ>
5) Kahu

6) Marshall <Current NZ>
7) Wallace <prev NSW>

8) Hannant <prev Qld>
9) McCullough
11) Glenn <current NZ>

16) Hala
17) Tasi

Edit: I've added rep experience next to the names - no excuses if they don't perform.

I am more getting the feeling that Wallace or Prince will go for next year and Hunt will partner the one still there

Yeah I've got a bad feeling that Wallace and Hunt will be the halves combo next year, a really bad feeling.

I think we are just going to have to be patient. We might be in for a tough old year if we don't make a few signings but so long as the boys are giving their all I won't complain anymore. We can't pluck a gun half out of thin air.

1) Barba <qld 18th man>
2) Hoffman <current NZ>
5) Kahu

6) Marshall <Current NZ>
7) Wallace <prev NSW>

8) Hannant <prev Qld>
9) McCullough
11) Glenn <current NZ>

16) Hala
17) Tasi

a few have speculated about smith wanting to move up here. (might be for 2015) I think with someone like smith being our "general" we could do very well with our current halves and a better fullback eg. Barbs. I don't rate benji over the last few years and his off the cuff style doesn't suit us. With the added go forward from an extra prop and yowyeh or kahu replacing maranta I think we could be premiership threats. All we're missing is a 'general' better fullback a winger and prop during injuries. (I wouldn't complain about one of the halves being replaced but both a servicable. On most days Wallace has an awesome long kicking game , he also can have a decent short one. Additionally prince can actually read and call a play just his kicking game has gone downhill.

a few have speculated about smith wanting to move up here. (might be for 2015) I think with someone like smith being our "general" we could do very well with our current halves and a better fullback eg. Barbs. I don't rate benji over the last few years and his off the cuff style doesn't suit us. With the added go forward from an extra prop and yowyeh or kahu replacing maranta I think we could be premiership threats. All we're missing is a 'general' better fullback a winger and prop during injuries. (I wouldn't complain about one of the halves being replaced but both a servicable. On most days Wallace has an awesome long kicking game , he also can have a decent short one. Additionally prince can actually read and call a play just his kicking game has gone downhill.

You forget that prince is 32 so in 2015 he would most likely be retired, so we'd either have a new half or be using someone like Hunt or the newly signed Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mpost
  • eazy-duzzit
  • Astro
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.