Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels like this thread is going to get plenty of action in the coming weeks.

Sorry, meant to quote post above you.

That's cool. My comment still stands. He is the type of player (if not the player) we seriously needed 2 years ago - part of the reason the mess we are in will not be sorted simply by signing top football talent

Benji rumour gone. Categorically said on the footy show that he won't play against the Tigers, so ruled out any rival NRL clubs. Tigers or Union it seems.

Benji rumour gone. Categorically said on the footy show that he won't play against the Tigers, so ruled out any rival NRL clubs. Tigers or Union it seems.
Probably because every club told him he is not worth what he is asking

Was hanging out the washing last night at 9pm, as you do, and I got to thinking. Maybe denying every rumour and publicly saying we don't want to recruit 'just anyone' is the wrong tactic. Y'see, the Broncos (or Eels, or any team really) get brought up by the players managers & the media often to put pressure on the player's current club and force a better deal. And it sucks, because it makes us look like we've gone after all these players and can't snare even one. But why don't the Broncos just say 'yeah, come and speak to us. All players. If we can come up with a fair deal, why not'. That way any speculation would be watered down because no one knows who really is negotiating, but the biggest positive is that if the player is only doing it to drive up the price, let him! Any extra money spent by another club to secure a player is money straight out of their cap. That, to me, is awesome. If DCE was never coming to the Broncos, but was able to get another $150k a season, then that's $150k less that Manly can spend on players to ultimately be a better team than us.

Just been watching a couple of games of ESL on Austar. Seriously the skill levels are so far behind the NRL. The defence and attack is shit and there is hardly any structure in attack. I'm glad we haven't thrown 1mil at Tomkins. Honestly Ingliss, slater, barba etc would score three tries a game from what I've seen. To put it into some sort of context The commentators were talking up Scott dureu as being one of the best halves in the comp. lol to them. I've only watched 30mins of him so far and he kicked the ball out on the full twice.

Just been watching a couple of games of ESL on Austar. Seriously the skill levels are so far behind the NRL. The defence and attack is **** and there is hardly any structure in attack. I'm glad we haven't thrown 1mil at Tomkins. Honestly Ingliss, slater, barba etc would score three tries a game from what I've seen. To put it into some sort of context The commentators were talking up Scott dureu as being one of the best halves in the comp. lol to them. I've only watched 30mins of him so far and he kicked the ball out on the full twice.

Completely agree, I have been saying
This for weeks

Ffs Zeb Taia is playing centre. Any NRL centre worth his weight would run amuck marking up against him.

Just been watching a couple of games of ESL on Austar. Seriously the skill levels are so far behind the NRL. The defence and attack is shit and there is hardly any structure in attack. I'm glad we haven't thrown 1mil at Tomkins. Honestly Ingliss, slater, barba etc would score three tries a game from what I've seen. To put it into some sort of context The commentators were talking up Scott dureu as being one of the best halves in the comp. lol to them. I've only watched 30mins of him so far and he kicked the ball out on the full twice.

been saying this to the Sam Tomkins cheerleaders for weeks ... can't wait til he comes out here next year and gets a faceful of reality, NRL style ....

am tipping by round 18 he'll be bruised, battered, broken and begging to retreat back to England to the sanctuary of super league.

People will use the burgess brothers, graham argument but the fact is they are big boys that only have to run the ball hard and fast. I'm not denying they are great players but Tomkins will be the focal point in attack and teams will target him. I think he is in for a surprise when he runs the balls and get sat on his arse 99% of the time. I can't see him having anywhere near the impact over here.

I honestly cannot see what the ESL has got to do with the way Tomkins plays. People on here make out that his job is more to cart the ball up the middle like a prop, or defend in the middle of the ruck. He's a bloody FB, and for mine, he plays like anyone of Barba, Slater, Stewart etc etc.

Yes, the NRL is a tougher competition, but if he has the class he looks to have, then I don't see him taking too long to adjust to the NRL, and I am sure he has been sat on his arse over there as he no doubt will be over here.

So what?

The big difference is the amount of space he gets to roam free, and the defensive skills of quite a few teams there also leaves a lot to be desired, opening huge holes in the line where a quick player slips through easily.
That's probably what Donald is talking about, when he says guys like Inglis or Slater would score 3 or 4 tries per game (which I fully agree with btw).

He won't get that sort of defence or space in the NRL, that's for sure!

I honestly cannot see what the ESL has got to do with the way Tomkins plays. People on here make out that his job is more to cart the ball up the middle like a prop, or defend in the middle of the ruck. He's a bloody FB, and for mine, he plays like anyone of Barba, Slater, Stewart etc etc.

Yes, the NRL is a tougher competition, but if he has the class he looks to have, then I don't see him taking too long to adjust to the NRL, and I am sure he has been sat on his arse over there as he no doubt will be over here.

So what?

What people are saying is that there is a massive risk in paying him 1 million cos he is unproven over here. Yes he may adjust his game to do well but there is a huge possibility that it will take a few years, so that's a lot of wasted millions.

It's a far weaker competition where the defence sucks, so a fullback that breaks tackles well etc. is gonna find it a hell of a lot harder here week in and week out.

To put it another way, I'm sure if I went and played against the u15's I would dominate, wanna sign me up for a million a year to play for the broncs?

To put it another way, I'm sure if I went and played against the u15's I would dominate, wanna sign me up for a million a year to play for the broncs?

I bet Gee would.

The big difference is the amount of space he gets to roam free, and the defensive skills of quite a few teams there also leaves a lot to be desired, opening huge holes in the line where a quick player slips through easily.
That's probably what Donald is talking about, when he says guys like Inglis or Slater would score 3 or 4 tries per game (which I fully agree with btw).

He won't get that sort of defence or space in the NRL, that's for sure!
Then why don't Inglis or Slater score 3 or 4 tries in the world cup challenge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Pablo
  • Skyblues87
  • RodF
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Battler
  • Hurrijo
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
  • broncsgoat
  • Splinter
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.