Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why don't Inglis or Slater score 3 or 4 tries in the world cup challenge?
I said most, not all ESL teams. There are 3 or 4 teams (always the same) that could compete in the NRL. It's the rest of the comp that sucks, and against whom most of those highlight tries are scored.

I said most, not all ESL teams. There are 3 or 4 teams (always the same) that could compete in the NRL. It's the rest of the comp that sucks, and against whom most of those highlight tries are scored.
Is that a fact or an assumption?

Then why don't Inglis or Slater score 3 or 4 tries in the world cup challenge?
That's a stupid question. England have a decent team enough team to compete well with us when they put their best 17 on the field. Unfortunately for England their best 20-25 players in the ESL are probably on par with average players in the NRL. From what ive been watching lately and i just watches four games straight the other 90% of the ESL is not up to NRL standard.

Put it in simple turns. It would be like slater playing in the q cup and killing it and then him playing origin next week and trying to have the same impact. Fact of the matter is ESL standard is nowhere near the level of NRL and it makes players who would be average in the NRL look like superstars.

From the vids I have seen of Tomkins, all I see are 2 things: Tomkins streaking through the same shit defence that is exactly the same as in most NRL matches (arm grabbing, slow defensive line speed), but, more importantly, using his footwork and sheer speed to slice through defensive lines which look to me not to be too different from over here.

Sure, it will be harder over here, but there is NO WAY that his speed and footwork and instincts are a product of an inferior comp.

It's like saying the same things about Sam Burgess. It's utter total nonsense

Last edited:
From the vids I have seen of Tomkins, all I see are 2 things: Tomkins streaking through the same **** defence that is exactly the same as in most NRL matches (arm grabbing, slow defensive line speed), but, more importantly, using his footwork and sheer speed to slice through defensive lines which look to me not to be too different from over here.

Sure, it will be harder over here, but there is NO WAY that his speed and footwork and instincts are a product of an inferior comp.

It's like saying the same things about Sam Burgess. It's utter total nonsense

I'm not trying to start any fights or anything any I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion but my opinion is that no way in hell is the defence in the ESL even close to NRL standard. Please don't use the burgess comparison either. No way in hell is burgess on 1mil+ a year. Tomkins may play well in the NRL but 1mil a year is way too much money on somebody who is untried at NRL level.

First, I am debating, not fighting (other than for what I believe)

Second, sure, except for the elite players in ESL, the entire standard of play is a lot less quality mostly. What I am saying is that Tomkins's speed and footwork looks to me to be every bit as good as Barba and Slater and he will play the equivalent quality football.

Sure, he will find it harder but my point is that his speed, footwork and general elusiveness have nothing to do with the quality of the ESL defence.

And I think this is exactly the case with Sam Burgess. Over there, he makes much more impact than here, but that does not negate his innate talent and skills that is all I am saying about Tomkins

Whether his worth is $1M is for me an entirely separate issue unrelated to what I see are absolute top class football talent, skills and instincts.

First, I am debating, not fighting (other than for what I believe)

Second, sure, except for the elite players in ESL, the entire standard of play is a lot less quality mostly. What I am saying is that Tomkins's speed and footwork looks to me to be every bit as good as Barba and Slater and he will play the equivalent quality football.

Sure, he will find it harder but my point is that his speed, footwork and general elusiveness have nothing to do with the quality of the ESL defence.

And I think this is exactly the case with Sam Burgess. Over there, he makes much more impact than here, but that does not negate his innate talent and skills that is all I am saying about Tomkins

Whether his worth is $1M is for me an entirely separate issue unrelated to what I see are absolute top class football talent, skills and instincts.

Yeah mate I wasn't accusing you of fighting or anything I just didn't want you to think that I was trying to start some big argument or something. I'm not saying that he wouldn't be a good player. I am saying that I dont think he will have the impact in the NRL that he has in the ESL. Basically I don't think its worth taking a 1mil a season risk on him.

Yeah mate I wasn't accusing you of fighting or anything I just didn't want you to think that I was trying to start some big argument or something. I'm not saying that he wouldn't be a good player. I am saying that I dont think he will have the impact in the NRL that he has in the ESL. Basically I don't think its worth taking a 1mil a season risk on him.

The Forum, or is it Broncos Football Management ....

Last edited by a moderator:
I see The Mole said Maranta to Cronulla maybe
PLEASE be true

Please please please please please. Make sure they don't watch last nights game before they sign him.

Will lol if this happens. Cronulla - wanted kahu, got maranta

I've come to the conclusion after how we've performed this year that we'll have to pay overs for ANYONE we get, if we do get Barba (Purely because he wants to move to QLD and be with his kids, not because he wants to go from a premiership contender to a non-top 8 side) we'll have to pay probably $5m over 4 years or something for him to come.

2014 - $1m
2015 - $1.2m
2016 - $1.4m
2017 - $1.4m

Sounds about right.

I've come to the conclusion after how we've performed this year that we'll have to pay overs for ANYONE we get, if we do get Barba (Purely because he wants to move to QLD and be with his kids, not because he wants to go from a premiership contender to a non-top 8 side) we'll have to pay probably $5m over 4 years or something for him to come.

2014 - $1m
2015 - $1.2m
2016 - $1.4m
2017 - $1.4m

Sounds about right.

That's grossly inflated.

this whole "untried at NRL level" thing is, pardon my french, bullshit.

itd be like taking someone who the best boxer in the UFC and putting them in boxing and saying "hes untried at professional boxing level so hes not worth any money".

Tomkins is a very very very very very good rugby league player. it doesnt matter if its ESL, NRL, Q-Cup or Under 10s, hes a good rugby league player. just because the english competition isnt *as* good as the NRL doesnt mean that a player who is heads and shoulders above every other player in their league is "unproven" and might not be even good in the NRL. the burgess brothers were all "unproven" at NRL level, yet the ones who have played in the NRL are among the top 3-4 players in their position, if not 1-2. james graham is the second best prop going around, behind matt scott, and guess what? he was "unproven at NRL level" as well. genuinely good rugby league players are just that - genuinely good RUGBY LEAGUE players. not "genuinely good ESL players" or "genuinely good NRL players".

i have no doubt tomkins will go well here if he does come over. but no doubt on this forum he'll be like billy slater - if hes *only* scoring 3 tries per match the majority of people on here will say he shouldve been scoring 5 so hes useless, or because he went for a hail mary once and it didnt come off he'll forever be "subject to brain snaps that will cost his team". doesnt matter if he scores 5 tries in a game, if heaven forbid he let in a single one or turn over possession a single time hes a terrible player!

you know what you get when your players dont go for the hail marys every now and then? the attack of the 2012-2013 broncos.

That's grossly inflated.

You think we'll be able to get a superstar for less? With the combination of us being awful at the moment, with an awful coaching staff, and the cap rising in the next few years, I think it's pretty damn accurate.

2014 - $1m
2015 - $1.2m
2016 - $1.4m
2017 - $1.4m

Sounds about right.
Rubbish, Barba is on about 400k a year because he signed before he became a star. We could have him for 700-800k no problem. Players don't care about premierships as much as doubling their money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • Pablo
  • Skyblues87
  • bronco original
  • Hurrijo
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
  • broncsgoat
  • Splinter
  • Battler
  • BroncosAlways
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Griffo
  • Jedhead
  • Big Del
  • easybreezy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.