Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, with the salary cap raises, you either pay up or you sign no one good.

Not the point. You assemble the best team possible within the salary cap limit (unless you are the Storm). That is the only objective when assembling a roster.

There are no prizes for showing an annual profit. We probably aren't paying a single player in our team over 450k a year, and it shows in our results and abilities.

Let's say we are exactly x amount under the cap, and we can sign Barba for $x, but he's only worth 80% of x. Do you really think there is a reality where we are not better off with Barba? Because I don't.

Problem with that is that there are always other clubs willing to pay overs for players, so effectively you never get your man if you pay them what they're worth. This is what has happened with the Broncos. Sometimes you need to pay a bit more than what you want to, especially if you are re-building.

That is true. If you pay overs for players you end up losing out on other players who need an upgrade of contract or miss out on other players who are off contract that you want but can't afford. There has to be a balance.

Swap Barba for Norman and we win today, and what did Norman sign for... Half a million? If that's market rates Barba is worth close to a million.

BTW Beads, Thurston, Smith, etc are all either signed for over a mill or will be. Last I read anyway, Barba -> Broncos was closer to 800k, which he's totally worth.

Some superstars are worth the overs.

Not Tomkins.

Some superstars are worth the overs.

Not Tomkins.
Hehe there's a clear fence on the Tomkins issue but I'm on the Tomkins is worth it fence :laugh: That being said I'd prefer Barba over Tomkins but between signing no one next year and signing Tomkins... Well I'd choose Tomkins every day.

Swap Barba for Norman and we win today, and what did Norman sign for... Half a million? If that's market rates Barba is worth close to a million.

BTW Beads, Thurston, Smith, etc are all either signed for over a mill or will be. Last I read anyway, Barba -> Broncos was closer to 800k, which he's totally worth.

Happy to pay 800K a year for Barba. I'd say some of that would be out of cap 3rd party payments as well.

Swap Barba for Norman and we win today.

So very true. Every week you see a plethora of posts about Norman not using his outside men when we have numbers and support play not being up to scratch. Barba with his support play scores 20+ tries a year, and with 20+ try assists a year too, he is quite adept (albeit not amazing) at setting up his outside men. Look at how many tries Josh Morris and Barba got last year with Barba knowing when to go himself and when not to.

Honestly, he would make a huge difference to us each and every week, easily 6pts a game on average, and given we've lost a number of games by that margin, he would literally be the difference this year between being Top 8 or not.

Happy to pay 800K a year for Barba. I'd say some of that would be out of cap 3rd party payments as well.
Barba in Brisbane? Shut the gates, every sponsorship will go to him. We don't need to pay overs to get Barba, we could find him 3rd party sponsorships easy as pie.

Who's he competing with for the sponsorship dollars?... Think about it... That's right no one.

Alrighty, I believe the Tomkins discussion has been flogged to death at the time. I don't believe anyone is wrong. pwn and Ari put together good arguments but it isn't happening. I hope he plays well for the Warriors (except against the Broncos where he plays terribly) and the game gains another superstar.

As for Bailey. No thanks. Seriously, it'd be like mixing Ryan Bailey with Russell Crowe. We don't need some guy who loves to fight more than he wants to play.

I know the plan to sign Barba.

Sack Gee, sign his ex as our new recruitment manager for 600k per year (can't be worse than Gee if results are anything to go by) and sign her children as our ball boys. Barba will be ours next year without a doubt. My plan is perfect.

That is true. If you pay overs for players you end up losing out on other players who need an upgrade of contract or miss out on other players who are off contract that you want but can't afford. There has to be a balance.

Good point, but at the moment there would be very few players in our squad that deserve upgrades. With the increase in salary cap coming, now is the time to spend up a bit. I'm not talking throw money at anyone that is availbale, but they need to get 1 or 2 superstars on the roster and you'll see a massive improvement in the players around them. Look at Souths and the Roosters.

Alrighty, I believe the Tomkins discussion has been flogged to death at the time. I don't believe anyone is wrong. pwn and Ari put together good arguments but it isn't happening. I hope he plays well for the Warriors (except against the Broncos where he plays terribly) and the game gains another superstar.

As for Bailey. No thanks. Seriously, it'd be like mixing Ryan Bailey with Russell Crowe. We don't need some guy who loves to fight more than he wants to play.
You're not wrong there. Regardless I'm just happy he's going to play for the Warriors. It's already great to add another star to the game, I for one hope he kills it, can never have enough stars.

Ideally he wants to play 7, SJ gets moved to fullback, cracks the shits and signs with us.

Barba in Brisbane? Shut the gates, every sponsorship will go to him. We don't need to pay overs to get Barba, we could find him 3rd party sponsorships easy as pie.

Who's he competing with for the sponsorship dollars?... Think about it... That's right no one.

If by 'we' you mean the club then that would then be included in the cap.

If by 'we' you mean the club then that would then be included in the cap.
AFAIK, the club can help him find a 3rd party sponsorship as long as the club does not have any affiliation with the sponsor then it's not included as part of the cap. Powerade or Gatorade (the ones who sponsored Folau) might get on board for Barba. We don't have any marketable superstars in our team so he's not competing with anyone for the sponsorship dollars.

Fighten' 'round the woerld.

As for the Broncs, if we had Hunt at fullback, he'd be on 20+ assists already, he was probably the best I've ever seen at finishing that 2nd man play.

No you don't get it. $1 million is for your blue chip NRL players. Tomkins isn't that and either is Barba. Throwing around money to players not capable of being what we need will not save us now.

True. They give those dally m things to everyone... They are kinda like the participation ribbon had running carnivals yeah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • mrtij
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Jedhead
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Street Talk
  • Broncosgirl
  • Ondi
  • Johnny92
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Financeguy
  • Culhwch
  • heartly87
  • Manofoneway
  • FACTHUNT
  • Harry Sack
  • Waynesaurus
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.