Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
A significant portion of Hodges salary would be exempt under the long service exemption, AFAIK, I think only Hodges and Parker are in that group? Unless they've reduced the years of service to be eligible. I think Thaiday might be eligible as of this year too.

I can't see any issue with giving hodgo a year extension as so little of it will be under the cap. IMO after everything he has given the broncos it would be pretty petty not to

It'd be a bit rude not to offer him a contract, we've stuck by JYY why not Hodgo?

A significant portion of Hodges salary would be exempt under the long service exemption, AFAIK, I think only Hodges and Parker are in that group? Unless they've reduced the years of service to be eligible. I think Thaiday might be eligible as of this year too.

It's a win-win. They got a big dispensation under the cap when he was out for all of 2010, they've applied for a partial one for next year, and if there are complications with his recovery (and he's out for longer than anticipated) there will be bigger exemptions they can apply for. With these new changes to the system thanks to the CBA, it sounds like the Broncos are confident that if he doesn't come back, they can can still pay him the full contract value but not much of it will go towards the cap. Sounds to me like something that could easily be exploited.

I can't see any issue with giving hodgo a year extension as so little of it will be under the cap. IMO after everything he has given the broncos it would be pretty petty not to
i wouldnt say "so little" - the long serving player allowance is only $200k for the entire club. its for players that have been there for 8 years or more, so we'd have hodges, parker, and thaiday all included in that $200k.

i think we should be seeing 3 things before we offer him an extension:

1. will he even make it back from this?
2. if he does, how good is someone with what, 2 knee recons and now 2 blown out achilles, and is pushing 35 going to be?
3. how little is he willing to play for? at that age, with his injuries, he should be on match payments IMO.

How is Hodges pushing 35? He's 32 next year.
and hes out for most of next year. means he'll be 33 the next year. generally being 2 years away from an age is "pushing" it.

and whichever way you look at it, he'll be on the wrong side of 30. a 33 year old first grader is a borderline signing at best in general. add in all his injuries and the fact that he'll probably still want $350k+ or more with salary cap increases, i dont think its worth it.

and hes out for most of next year. means he'll be 33 the next year. generally being 2 years away from an age is "pushing" it.

and whichever way you look at it, he'll be on the wrong side of 30. a 33 year old first grader is a borderline signing at best in general. add in all his injuries and the fact that he'll probably still want $350k+ or more with salary cap increases, i dont think its worth it.

Mate, it's Justin Hodges for Christ sake. Arguably the best centre in the world who has been a massive part of our club. If the bloke wants one more year, give it to him. He has given everything he has to this club that his body will allow him to, I think he deserves it. Plus he's a fucking legend and more than once has been the only person on the field I've been cheering for and has provided some form of hope/excitement.

Mate, it's Justin Hodges for Christ sake. Arguably the best centre in the world who has been a massive part of our club. If the bloke wants one more year, give it to him. He has given everything he has to this club that his body will allow him to, I think he deserves it. Plus he's a fucking legend and more than once has been the only person on the field I've been cheering for and has provided some form of hope/excitement.

This x 1000000000000.

I'd pay him $350k for a year even if he played 3 games all year. His knowledge of the game, how to play Centre, positioning etc etc is all invaluable information he can pass on to (hopefully) Hoffman (or whoever ends up at Centre).

That's a wild exaggeration, the cap space is 200k for players that have played for 8 years (Including NYC) so Parker, Hodges and Thaiday.

So that's $66, 000 each- hardly signficant portion.

What would he be worth, theoretically, if he was showing the form he did before snapping, he was, say, 27, and injury-free? Would he be one of the game's top earners? Or sit in that $600k - $750k region?

It'd be a bit rude not to offer him a contract, we've stuck by JYY why not Hodgo?

I think JYY had just signed a 3 year deal a few weeks before his injury. It isn't remotely the same scenario either.

I'm not against Hodges getting another year but why rush into extending his contract? He is coming off a serious injury so lets see how he recovers before thinking new contract. He is the wrong side of 30 and injury prone. We can't be too sentimental .

Arguably the best centre in the world who has been a massive part of our club.
i wouldnt say that. top 3 definitely, when he can stay on the field. 14 game a season average over 13 years though. jamie lyon is a step above hodges IMO as the best centre without doubt.

If the bloke wants one more year, give it to him. He has given everything he has to this club that his body will allow him to, I think he deserves it.
give it to him if thats whats best for the club. he has given everything to this club, apart from that time where he left to go play for the roosters. and apart from the remaining 12 games a season on average over his career.

I think we definitely could've waited until next season to re-sign him, who knows how long it'll take him to fully recover.

well we havent re-signed him yet from what ive seen. hopefully we wont even think about it until mid next year.

i know lots of people on here love him, but lets be serious - hes old, very very very injury prone, will want big $, isnt even guaranteed to come back, and if he does come back, how long will he be back for before another season ending injury?

might be time to cut our losses. we've paid the guy a small fortune to sit on the sidelines for half the season every season for a decade. lets not hastily sign him AGAIN a week after hes had one of the most painful and hard to recover from injuries a footballer can have.

let that sink in for a second.....
- injury prone player.
- just done his achilles, to go with his other one 3 years ago and his 2 (?) knee recons and dodgy hamstryings.
- 32 years old when he might come back.
- lets sign him again a week after he gets a 10 month injury!!!

doesnt make much sense to me.

Last edited:
i wouldnt say that. top 3 definitely, when he can stay on the field. 14 game a season average over 13 years though. jamie lyon is a step above hodges IMO as the best centre without doubt.

Hence the reason I used the word arguably mate, he's definitely up there. And let's say he wants 350k for the year. That's really only 290k with the 60k deduction. Don't you think in the scheme of things, he is worth 290k to hang around the club and possibly get 3/4 of a season out of him? He will want to finish on a high so will be doing everything to get out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Lurker
  • IceWorks
  • Skyblues87
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • Evander
  • winslow_wong
  • Aldo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Wolfie
  • Gaz
  • Xzei
  • Hoof Hearted
  • mrslong
  • Johnny92
... and 25 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.