Broncos player retention

We need at least another good prop, not a centre I reckon.

Jeza23 said:
I know the below article's title doesnt relate to our player retention but it has some points I'd like to discuss.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23906608-23214,00.html

It says Martin Gleeson has inquired about playing with us next year if Warrington can draw Lyon away from the Eagles (looks like Gleeson will come anyway from the sounds of the article) but can we afford him?

His price would be reasonably high I suspect, being a former British international, he is also 28 years old...so probably at his prime age.

Also do we really need anymore centres? I dont think so, I guess the depth would be handy.

Opinions anyone?

Depending on the 'price tag' imo.

More experience and depth in the forwards is something to be going for imo.

Chumba said:
Why did big sammy keep turning into the ruck the other night. He kept getting smashed and making no yeard every time he did it? He was great otherwise but I just wondered why he was running straight back into towards the markers.

Its a new tactic come about the last few years, not sure who started it, but they direct plays back at the markers on consecutive tackles to tire individuals out quicker.

You try making 3 tackles in a row, it buggers you up!

m1c said:
Chumba said:
Why did big sammy keep turning into the ruck the other night. He kept getting smashed and making no yeard every time he did it? He was great otherwise but I just wondered why he was running straight back into towards the markers.

Its a new tactic come about the last few years, not sure who started it, but they direct plays back at the markers on consecutive tackles to tire individuals out quicker.

Its a similar principle in touch footy and oztag, if you can attack the same defender on consecutive plays you will tire them and are a greater chance of making a break.

He would definatly be a force in the front row if we could afford him.

Jeza23 said:
m1c said:
Chumba said:

Its a similar principle in touch footy and oztag, if you can attack the same defender on consecutive plays you will tire them and are a greater chance of making a break.

thanks guys, i knew there had to be a reason because it was very pointed... to what value I'm not sure but if it works every now and again then that's good. icon_thumbs_u

Running behind the ruck isn't to tire out defenders, its to try and make more ground. Behind the ruck is the only place where there is a good 4-6m of space in a defensive line. Later in games when markers and A defenders get tired, forwards with a decent hooker can roll up the field if they get in behind.

he needs to have some1 running with him on the opposite side of the ruck. If Sammy can get both markers defending him there is a uge hole on the other side for some1 like Hunt,Ennis etc to make a line break.

Just read in the Courier Mail that we are about to secure Hoffman for a further 2 years on an upgraded deal. icon_thumbs_u

RLW (the Mole) also says that Te'o almost resigned with the Tigers until the Broncos upped their offer for him, and is expected to announce the signing shortly.

bfoord said:
Just read in the Courier Mail that we are about to secure Hoffman for a further 2 years on an upgraded deal. icon_thumbs_u

RLW (the Mole) also says that Te'o almost resigned with the Tigers until the Broncos upped their offer for him, and is expected to announce the signing shortly.

Good news about Hoffman, he will be huge with the right guidance. Te'o would be a pretty awesome buy too.

great news on both parts. hoffman must be getting a good look in at 1 of the wing spots next year.

IMO don't think hes big enough for wing... maybe groomed for #1 in a few years time when Khunt takes Lockys place?

They are exceptional wingers though.. we would be lucky if just one of our crop of u20s turned out anything like one of them. Hoffman is talented no doubt, but we all thought the same about Leon Bott too... the Hoff has a long way to go.

IMO i think wingers in todays game have to be big or at least tall. They get bombed more than the fullback, and are instrumental in starting sets of 6.

Its almost like the old cliche about junior football, a good big player will always beat a good small player.

An average big winger will always be better than an average small winger. Case in point, Tame Tupou, would he have a football career if it wasnt for his size? No chance.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • barker
  • BruiserMk1
  • bert_lifts
  • Alec
  • Porthoz
  • Johnny92
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Lozza
  • lynx000
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.