NEWS Broncos playmaker plans on brink of collapse

Dobbo said on Triple M this morning that Croft will be at the Broncos before round 1. I know its Dobbo but he has got a few right lately, he called the Matt Gillet retirement nearly a month ago and Kahu coming back last week before it was spoken about on here. Hopefully, he is right about this. I only caught the back end of his interview but he also said something along the lines of that there are some players named in the top 30 this week that won't be there come round 1.

For fks sake.... just pay croft what he wants.
It's not a matter of paying him what he wants, he has to be paid what he's contracted at under Melbourne's salary cap, which is apparently about 400k.
[automerge]1573164281[/automerge]
Dobbo said on Triple M this morning that Croft will be at the Broncos before round 1. I know its Dobbo but he has got a few right lately, he called the Matt Gillet retirement nearly a month ago and Kahu coming back last week before it was spoken about on here. Hopefully, he is right about this. I only caught the back end of his interview but he also said something along the lines of that there are some players named in the top 30 this week that won't be there come round 1.
Yep, but we thought getting a new Fullback meant Holmes, and it actually meant Kahu. So knowing our luck, we think the players that wont be here are Boyd and Macca, but in reality it'll probably be Fifita and Haas.

Last edited:
We can't afford croft this season. Fifita is signed this season.

Next year we don't have money wasted on Boyd and Kahu, and hopefully also move on Macca / Bird.

If that’s the case what’s stopping us from signing fafita now based on the fact we will have freed up more funds for 2021 and beyond?

If that’s the case what’s stopping us from signing fafita now based on the fact we will have freed up more funds for 2021 and beyond?
Pretty sure Fifita would be on holidays... he's basically been in rep teams since the season finished and I think it's a requirement of the RLPA that players get a minimum of 4 weeks off after the season finishes.

I suspect Fifi probably won't be back at training until January.

We would be talking with his manager who would also be talking to Fifi, but I don't think he'll sign until he's back.

I believe the club is also looking to sort out a long term deal (4-5 year extension), so the negotiations could take awhile.

I think he'll end up with $700-800k per year, which I think is about par with what the big clubs in Sydney would be willing to pay for a 2nd rower as well... the only risks are if one of them get desperate and throw $1m plus at him or if GC throw $1m at him, but their cap is in a mess and I don't see a legitimate premiership team throwing that kind of money.

I also think the figures from NZ are bogus.. they can't have the cash to throw a million at everyone so I half suspect the media quote the warriors contracts in NZ dollars to give it a higher sense of value... kind of joking, but also wouldnt be surprised if it were true.

Wait, what. They are using Gillett's money to keep Glenn rather than buy a halfback. They consider another forward more important than an actual halfback and instead are going to rely on a 19 year old kid who frankly looked very hesitant and a bit lost in those 4 or 5 games he played this year.

Mate, I've had it on good authority that Bird will be heading back to Sydney before long, so that'll free up some cash. Have a little faith, if you know what I mean...

Pretty sure Fifita would be on holidays... he's basically been in rep teams since the season finished and I think it's a requirement of the RLPA that players get a minimum of 4 weeks off after the season finishes.

I suspect Fifi probably won't be back at training until January.

We would be talking with his manager who would also be talking to Fifi, but I don't think he'll sign until he's back.

I believe the club is also looking to sort out a long term deal (4-5 year extension), so the negotiations could take awhile.

I think he'll end up with $700-800k per year, which I think is about par with what the big clubs in Sydney would be willing to pay for a 2nd rower as well... the only risks are if one of them get desperate and throw $1m plus at him or if GC throw $1m at him, but their cap is in a mess and I don't see a legitimate premiership team throwing that kind of money.

I also think the figures from NZ are bogus.. they can't have the cash to throw a million at everyone so I half suspect the media quote the warriors contracts in NZ dollars to give it a higher sense of value... kind of joking, but also wouldnt be surprised if it were true.

I get all that I just want him signed ASAP.
The longer it takes the more chance something could go wrong aka Inglis a few years back.
C’mon broncs get this done.

So does all this mean we will ultimately lose fafita.
If we can’t afford Croft how do we afford fafita who will obviously be worth much more coin.
Because he's already signed.

Croft isn't..

It's next year we come into some serious coin and Fifi knows that, and probably has a verbal promise of how much of that will be guys

But that's the thing...

Croft would come here for less knowing he can get some of that coin too for his next deal..

Problem is, Broncos need to buy Croft's contact. He can't get signed on a downgraded feal...

Usually if a release and transfer is mutually beneficial for both clubs, they come to an agreement of terms and how much each will pay based on who would benefit most from the swap. Melbourne are refusing to chip in for it, and I can see why.. Makes sense for them. They have more to lose by letting him go - he's an injury or even a good preseason away from being back in their 17. They too might be coming into a war chest in 2021. Who else might retire from the game? Exactly

Broncos would pay for Croft in full but essentially can't due to the cap. I could imagine it'd be pretty bloody frustrating to be Seibold knowing a half decent 7 is all you need to make a good go of it, and there's one available at a great price - but you're stuck paying for busted horses sitting around having an occasional run on the training paddock.... Knowing full well you can't just turn them into glue and solve all your problems!

All it would take is just the one more retirement and we're in with a good chance next year.

Just one more...

We wouldn't be cap compliant because Boyd still has 2021 in his favour. And I'd imagine other contracts as well. You can't fully promise to be where you need to be .. plus like, just wait it out til these guys definitely don't play this year so they can't stay around next year

Mate, I've had it on good authority that Bird will be heading back to Sydney before long, so that'll free up some cash. Have a little faith, if you know what I mean...
Hmmm. "good authority"

You both better be right since you're so sure

I certainly think there is still things yet to be played out, its only early in the off season, if I'm a betting man then I'd be wagering on more changes to still happen.

I’m not even sure we would have had Gilletts money off our books yet either due to his retirement

Are player options a curse that every team has to this magnitude? Not only does it literally lock in the worst outcome for the club (If the player becomes more valuable they get rewarded and less valuable they don't get revised down) It must make it highly difficult to plan recruitment in advance, players options look to be toxic for the Broncos, player managers having too much power? Incompetent negotiators?

Interesting theory from Dobbo. I tend to think that the Croft scenario hasn't yet run its course.

In my opinion there are 4 players that Siebs would be willing to let go being Bird, McCullough, Boyd or Milf.

Bird is one i think that is still a strong chance, it just feels like the Roberts to Souths scenario again. Tigers and Panthers are likely options for him and could see him leaving in the new year, if only to save those clubs 2 months of his salary before he starts with them in Jan. Sticking point will be how much we are left to pay on the ~800-900k salary, if they are only willing to pay 500k or so it might be best to keep him.

McCullough would be released if we can fool a club like the Bulldogs into picking him up or maybe even a desperate Manly. Unfortunately i think this is less likely than Bird leaving.

Boyd is a no brainer, no club is likely interested and he doesn't seem motivated to move at this stage of his career and who can blame him for sitting back on the fat contract he currently has.

The Milf to Tigers rumour might have legs but is a swap of just Milf for Croft enough to strengthen our roster? Croft + guaranteeing Fifita's future however might be more attractive.

Interesting theory from Dobbo. I tend to think that the Croft scenario hasn't yet run its course.

In my opinion there are 4 players that Siebs would be willing to let go being Bird, McCullough, Boyd or Milf.
If the Broncos were to declare that Macca, Boyd and Bird were no longer in their Top 30 players - despite their salaries - would they be able to pay out their contracts and exempt them from the salary cap?

If the Broncos were to declare that Macca, Boyd and Bird were no longer in their Top 30 players - despite their salaries - would they be able to pay out their contracts and exempt them from the salary cap?

No, i don't believe so.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BroncosAlways
  • Fitzy
  • Bucking Beads
  • simplythebest
  • Johnny92
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosgirl
  • john1420
  • Old Mate
  • Xzei
  • HarryAllan7
  • Stix
  • mrslong
  • Porthoz
  • Brocko
  • johnny plath
  • Financeguy
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.