Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
What are these damn "clicks" you blokes are always on about? Where do they go, what happens when you "click" on them? Did you survive the experience? Are you out of pocket and seek compensation?

For the last time, reporters provide part of the product. They don't package the product. They don't market the product. They don't worry about if it sells. They fill a commission. They don't write headlines. They aren't connected with revenue, ads, marketing, site design. They don't EVER think about how the newspaper makes money.

If their stories don't pan out to be true, it could be for a multitude of reasons, of which incompetency, laziness and having a punt on a hunch are only three. Managing the publication's revenue stream is the least likely. It's not even a starter.

On a final note. You fucking guys, honestly. And one of you in this thread, notably. You fucking love this unsubstantiated gossip. I had half a dozen of you in my IM telling me freaky shit about Seibold, that was very likely untrue, but a friend of a friend of a friend swore by it. Every time a player is caught with his pants around his ankles, that thread will be a kangaroo court of hanging judges based on the most flimsiest evidence as it trickles in.

J'accuse not the journalist, but you, the reader. You're all *****, and you know it. No disrespect, but you can all get fucked.

@theshed @Morkel are you guys happy now ... you've made McHunt cry.

please stop being mean to him

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Peachy was great when he played at Penrith. He seemed to fall in a hole when he went to the Tits. Perhaps he took a shine to the idea of comfortable footy. I still think he has a ton of flair and x-factor about him and would play a much better role than what we tried to get Asiata to play.

If we could get him for anything under $350K I'd take him in a heart beat. Perhaps we can get the Tits to throw in a $100K and sign him on a one year basis with an option of two in our favour. That would make a good bit business I think.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
Peachy is kind of like fifita. Gets his numbers against the poorer sides.

He usually plays well against us because of our slow line speed and tendency to "stop and wait" when a player drifts across field plays right into his hands. However, against stronger sides with aggressive line speed that suffocates the attack he is generally nullified (which is why even at his peak did not really break into the origin arena).

If you were wanting to take the risk i wouldn't be offering over 230k. Parra reportedly had a look at him for 200k and with limited other interest in him you would not get into a bidding war.

B

broncoscope

NYC Player
Feb 14, 2014
I'm thinking Peachy would go well as a hooker. Has good ball skills and is pretty elusive, not sure he has the work rate in defence though.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Peachy is kind of like fifita. Gets his numbers against the poorer sides.

Peachey has 5 tries this year and 3 of them came against the Storm, Rabbitohs & Roosters. Half of his try assists have come against top 8 sides this year as well. Don't think there's much weight in that theory.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Peachey has 5 tries this year and 3 of them came against the Storm, Rabbitohs & Roosters. Half of his try assists have come against top 8 sides this year as well. Don't think there's much weight in that theory.
I think Peach has been best utilised off the bench after 20 or so mins and then playing lock in the middle of the field.

It gives him free reign to pop up where he wants and he has a knack for exploiting tired middle forwards.

I can definitely see the interest in picking him up given the benefits utilities are providing now, but I would have question marks on his ability to stick to a structure.

He can very often "get in the way" and stifle attacking movements, which isn't always great from your lock.

He needs to be able to fit into a structure and have a role in that structure... and his role cant be get it and make something happen. That's individual thinking and is similar to Dylan Walker where he's always looking for the money play rather than the percentages play (ie. get it to Cherry or Turbo).

I think Kevvie wants to play reasonably structured and expansive football to get it to the edges and have our strike weapons in space and 1v1 situations. A fully fit Asiata would be the perfect lock for us in that situation as he understands when it needs to get to the edges, when he should tuck it under the wing and run, or when he has an opportunity to do some ball playing in the middle (ie. he has a good understanding of what the percentage play is for a given situation).

To me Peach is more like a Jack in the box, which is fine if they're really good, but I dont think he creates enough on his own for that to be his role. If we get a quick play the ball we want it going out to the edges not getting caught up in the middle of the field with Peach.

His best position was probably left center, but they never really let him settle in that role... he is a good strike player more so than a creator, and I think you want creators in the spine, incl. lock... with your strike on the edges from 2nd row out... not sure if he would be able to play that role anymore

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Well yes, the way I see it Badel and Dobbo (and maybe some others) are in the loop, but Weidler is out of it.

I really need to nip this "click" stuff in the bud. Reporters don't give a **** about ad sales. It's not their territory. It's actually kind of insulting to suggest they would. Like accusing your doctor of being a rep for a pharmaceutical company. I'm not saying journalists are noble - at all - but they don't even have access to any mechanism that "clicks."

Here's how the process works:

1. Weidler gets a tip from someone. It's counter to what Badel has written.
2. Wants to one-up Badel to prove how smart he is. This is all Weidler is about.
3. Submits story to the paper.
4. Sub editor reads it, bashes it into shape, checks spelling, kicks the legal tyres.
5. An editor adds photos from stock. Someone else has cleared them first.
6. Sometimes the same editor, but often a more senior editor writes the headline, lede and attributes the byline to the author(s).
7. The story must now be fit to page. Words will need to be added or subtracted. Which might impact the context of the story.
8. Meanwhile, the advertising team is doing its own thing. The editorial staff up to this point don't want a bar of them. The larger the publisher, the bigger the wall between sales and editorial. As for the hyperlinks embedded in the piece, what ads are served, anything to do with the mechanics of site design or subscriptions, journalists don't get involved with any of that.
9. In the modern age stories are so ephemeral, the headlines change throughout the day, copy is added and snipped, errors are caught, and the story becomes a work in progress.

If you find a newspaper, or a section, tends to have misleading headlines it may be that's a senior editorial decision, maybe on instruction from publisher. The reporters are way down the food chain from there.

I know plenty of journalists that know how many clicks their stories get. They care because it’s what drives their industry.

Tim K

Tim K

QCup Player
Oct 7, 2018
I think Peach has been best utilised off the bench after 20 or so mins and then playing lock in the middle of the field.

It gives him free reign to pop up where he wants and he has a knack for exploiting tired middle forwards.

I can definitely see the interest in picking him up given the benefits utilities are providing now, but I would have question marks on his ability to stick to a structure.

He can very often "get in the way" and stifle attacking movements, which isn't always great from your lock.

He needs to be able to fit into a structure and have a role in that structure... and his role cant be get it and make something happen. That's individual thinking and is similar to Dylan Walker where he's always looking for the money play rather than the percentages play (ie. get it to Cherry or Turbo).

I think Kevvie wants to play reasonably structured and expansive football to get it to the edges and have our strike weapons in space and 1v1 situations. A fully fit Asiata would be the perfect lock for us in that situation as he understands when it needs to get to the edges, when he should tuck it under the wing and run, or when he has an opportunity to do some ball playing in the middle (ie. he has a good understanding of what the percentage play is for a given situation).

To me Peach is more like a Jack in the box, which is fine if they're really good, but I dont think he creates enough on his own for that to be his role. If we get a quick play the ball we want it going out to the edges not getting caught up in the middle of the field with Peach.

His best position was probably left center, but they never really let him settle in that role... he is a good strike player more so than a creator, and I think you want creators in the spine, incl. lock... with your strike on the edges from 2nd row out... not sure if he would be able to play that role anymore
100% agree and saved me writing basically the same thing. Our structures aren’t mature enough yet to squeeze a character like peachy in at the moment. Way more hinderance that benefit.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Same Hynes that had dominated for the Falcons in 19 signed and played for the Storm in 19. January 20 you say he could be good.

What an open minded bold call!
A couple of responses I received after my comment.. Apparently it was quite open minded at the time... In comparison to some here anyway..

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Where has this Peachey news come from? We got some sort of official source? Journo? Article?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I know plenty of journalists that know how many clicks their stories get. They care because it’s what drives their industry.
Not exactly sinister to want to know how many are reading your stories, and what kind of stories are most popular. You're right: it's feedback that helps you hone your craft.

This isn't the same as misleading headlines or stories that require you to continuously click on images leading you down the never ending path of an elusive wild goose, all the while being served ads. It's giving your readers what they want, not tricking them.

Anyway, we're all here because we want RUMOURS, as in probationary facts. We don't expect them to be right all the time.

The subject of which journalists give the best balance between shit plucked out of their flaccid arse after a 3am chat farting over a pisstrough, and something solid Ben Ikin has told them not release until he gives the go ahead is highly pertinent. If we're going to tender theories certain ones are doing it for "clicks" to drive traffic to advertisers, then I'm going to call bullshit on it. They're wrong for some other reason. In Weidler's case, it's because he's a blowhard. In Garry's case, it's because he doesn't have enough access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Battler
  • Galah
  • Old Mate
  • Justwin
  • phoenix
  • Gympie devil
  • Harry Sack
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Volvo Driver
  • Johnny92
  • BroncoFan94
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.