Status
Not open for further replies.
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Titans:
Outs - Boyd, Cartwright, some others, a salary cap, being also rans, wooden spoon?
Ins - Fifita, Tino, Ese'ese, some others, no salary cap, being respectable

Broncos:
Outs - Boyd, Fifita, Bird, Joffa, Staggs (for half the season), respect, heavyweight status, pride, Seibold
Ins - Mead, Copley, Asiata, Kevvie, laughter, also ran status, give up attitude, wooden spoon

How is it even arguable about which one is better? It is not being negative to call it as it is, it is realistic and just as it is realistic to live in hope the season result is far better than what the current evidence suggests it will be but that is all it is, hope based on 'hopefully this season won't have as many problems / injuries as last year' while Oates, Milford, Haas, Staggs, Farnworth all currently sit on the side line rehabbing = does not bode well for much different already.

because when you compare teams, you don't just compare recruitment ... you compare the squads as a whole. How many Titans would you realistically have in our full strength side (4 or 5 maybe)

on the face of it, the Titans have recruited well, but delve a bit deeper, and they have made some mistakes. the Fifita signing being number 1. The Titans just need to look at the Cowboys to figure out that having a million dollar+ back rower, isn't going to be worth the money in the long run, especially if you also have a million dollar half that's under performing. How has it gone for the Cowboys with JT2 (who IMO is a superior player to Fifita)?

P.S. you watch the also ran status, give up attitude and wooden spoon leave Red Hill with Seibold ... and the respect and pride find it's way back with Kevvie (IMO, you don't lose heavyweight status after one poor year, even one as bad as our 2020).

This would be my combined team from both the Broncos and Titans 2021 squads.

1. AJ Brimson
2. Jamayne Isaako
3. Herbie Farnworth
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Xavier Coates
6. Anthony Milford or Ashley Taylor
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matt Lodge (c)
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Hass
11. David Fifita
12. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
13. John Asiata

14. Alex Glenn
15. Moe Fotuaika
16. Pat Carrigan
17. Tevita Pangai Jnr

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
We lost the two players who looked like they had a clue in attack and will be without the other for half the season. Attitude and everything else mentioned is not measurable and not really worth discussing as nobody actually knows how these players will respond without having seen them play. They have improved their squad and ours is weaker, it’s that simple really.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
because when you compare teams, you don't just compare recruitment ... you compare the squads as a whole. How many Titans would you realistically have in our full strength side (4 or 5 maybe)

on the face of it, the Titans have recruited well, but delve a bit deeper, and they have made some mistakes. the Fifita signing being number 1. The Titans just need to look at the Cowboys to figure out that having a million dollar+ back rower, isn't going to be worth the money in the long run, especially if you also have a million dollar half that's under performing. How has it gone for the Cowboys with JT2 (who IMO is a superior player to Fifita)?

P.S. you watch the also ran status, give up attitude and wooden spoon leave Red Hill with Seibold ... and the respect and pride find it's way back with Kevvie (IMO, you don't lose heavyweight status after one poor year, even one as bad as our 2020).

This would be my combined team from both the Broncos and Titans 2021 squads.

1. AJ Brimson
2. Jamayne Isaako
3. Herbie Farnworth
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Xavier Coates
6. Anthony Milford or Ashley Taylor
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matt Lodge (c)
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Hass
11. David Fifita
12. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
13. John Asiata

14. Alex Glenn
15. Moe Fotuaika
16. Pat Carrigan
17. Tevita Pangai Jnr

I can see all the points for this side but there is a fair bit of a bias and that is fine, this is a Broncos' forum. If I am being as fair as I can be, I'd go:

1. Brimson (Titans)
2. Don (Titans) or Coates (Broncos) - Take your pick with experience or purely very raw talent
3. Staggs (Broncos)
4. Kelly (Titans)
5. Farnworth (Broncos)
6. Taylor (Titans) (Both suck, so who cares here BUT Taylor was a heck of a lot better than Milford based on last year alone)
7. Fogarty (Titans) (Lets face it, Dearden has looked promising but so far has proven zero, Fogarty is the better CURRENT player, Dearden looks to have massive upside though)
8. Haas (Broncos)
9. Turpin (Broncos)
10. Fotaoka?? (Titans)
11. Fifita (Titans)
12. Tino (Titans)
13. Ese'ese (Titans) or Asiata (Broncos) (I'd personally easily go with Ese'ese)

14. TPJ (Broncos) (If based on last season, he doesn't make this team by any means)
15. Peachey (Titans)
16. Carrigan (Broncos)
17. Lodge (Broncos)

So at best it is even stevens but hey, they proves the discussion is debatable at least.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I can see all the points for this side but there is a fair bit of a bias and that is fine, this is a Broncos' forum. If I am being as fair as I can be, I'd go:

1. Brimson (Titans)
2. Don (Titans) or Coates (Broncos) - Take your pick with experience or purely very raw talent
3. Staggs (Broncos)
4. Kelly (Titans)
5. Farnworth (Broncos)
6. Taylor (Titans) (Both suck, so who cares here BUT Taylor was a heck of a lot better than Milford based on last year alone)
7. Fogarty (Titans) (Lets face it, Dearden has looked promising but so far has proven zero, Fogarty is the better CURRENT player, Dearden looks to have massive upside though)
8. Haas (Broncos)
9. Turpin (Broncos)
10. Fotaoka?? (Titans)
11. Fifita (Titans)
12. Tino (Titans)
13. Ese'ese (Titans) or Asiata (Broncos) (I'd personally easily go with Ese'ese)

14. TPJ (Broncos) (If based on last season, he doesn't make this team by any means)
15. Peachey (Titans)
16. Carrigan (Broncos)
17. Lodge (Broncos)

So at best it is even stevens but hey, they proves the discussion is debatable at least.
Bias you say ?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Bias you say ?
Looks pretty reasonable to me. I don’t necessarily agree with all the players chosen but I don’t have a strong argument against either.

Last edited:
P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Looks pretty reasonable to me. I don’t necessarily agree with all the players chosen but I don’t have a strong argument against either.
Nor i but there's a couple there I don't agree with, it's more a g up then anything.
I think it's splitting hairs with a couple to , one Cam Smith would definitely put one in front of the other. Both clubs have points to prove this year imo

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
How many player options do we give him
Well seeing as he has shopped himself around, I'm thinking whatever he has asked for we're prepared to give.
Short of a horrific injury I can't see him being sub-par for us anyway (90% of what he does is effort and the wisdom to pick the right option, rather than athletic ability).

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Well seeing as he has shopped himself around, I'm thinking whatever he has asked for we're prepared to give.
Short of a horrific injury I can't see him being sub-par for us anyway (90% of what he does is effort and the wisdom to pick the right option, rather than athletic ability).
I think everyone assuming Cam doesn’t have potential for a stinker is interesting. Nothing he’s doing would suggest his heart is in it.

He is that good though that it’s likely going to be a decent season for him.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
I think everyone assuming Cam doesn’t have potential for a stinker is interesting. Nothing he’s doing would suggest his heart is in it.

He is that good though that it’s likely going to be a decent season for him.
How many bad games do you remember him playing? I remember some shockers from locker, Lewis and even Alfie but smith: never.
There is also what he bring to this in a capacity other than a player. If even a 10th of his work ethic or professionalism rub off on the young guys we win. And surely if he talks, they listen. And if they don't: better put them on the next taxi because they arent worth listening to.
Add to this, he has an established relationship with Kevie already, and I don't see a down side.
At the end of the day he might not have the passion to begin with, but I get the impression our coach listened and watched when Wayne worked his magic, so perhaps he can help him find it. But even flat, going through the motions, he would still be more effective and professional than the rest of the squad because I doubt there is anyone who works harder.
The only danger is that he ruffles a few Prima Donna's feathers as he can be quite forthright but frankly this squad could do with it.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Thought it would be interesting to see what the team would look like based solely on number of games played per position in 2020 vs likely 2020 team without injuries, and then also likely team in 2021 without injuries.

2020 team appearances vs no injuries
2020 team based solely on appearances in the jersey.Likely strongest team no injuries (appearances in the jersey):
1. Boyd - 9 appearances (Isaako 6)1. Bird (0 appearances)
2. Oates - 8 appearances (Kennar - 5)2. Herbie (5 appearances on the wing)
3. Staggs - 13 appearances (Herbie - 4)3. Staggs
4. Herbie - 7 appearances (Boyd - 11)4. Boyd (11 appearances at centre)
5. Coates - 7 appearances (Herbie, Kennar, Arthars - 4)5. Coates
6. Milf - 12 appearances (SOS, Croft - 3)6. Milf
7. Dearden/Croft - 10 appearances each7. Dearden
8. Flegler - 8 appearances (Offa 4)8. Lodge (3 starting games)
9. Luke - 10 appearances (Turpin 6)9. Turpin (6 appearances)
10. Haas - 16 appearances (Kennedy 3)10. Haas
11. Fifita - 10 appearances (Glenn 5)11. Glenn (5 appearances) - captain so assumed preferred over TPJ
12. TPJ - 7 appearances (Teo 4)12. Fifita
13. Carrigan - 19 appearances (Offa 1)13. Carrigan
14. Paix - 9 appearances (Luke, Tesi, Herbie 2)14. Paix
15. Teo - 10 appearances (Joffa 7)15. Offa (7 appearances off the bench)
16. Kennedy - 9 appearances (Bullemor 7)16. Flegler (4 appearances off the bench)
17. Hopoate - 9 appearances (Riki 4, Lodge 3)17. TPJ (9 appearances total)

2020 team based on appearances vs 2021 team
2020 team based solely on appearances in the jersey.Likely 2021 team (from what we've heard):
1. Boyd - 9 appearances (Isaako 6)1. Isaako (10 games in 2020)
2. Oates - 8 appearances (Kennar - 5)2. Mead??
3. Staggs - 13 appearances (Herbie - 4)3. Staggs (14 games in 2020)
4. Herbie - 7 appearances (Boyd - 11)4. Herbie (19 games in 2020)
5. Coates - 7 appearances (Herbie, Kennar, Arthars - 4)5. Coates (12 games in 2020)
6. Milf - 12 appearances (SOS, Croft - 3)6. Milf (13 games in 2020)
7. Dearden/Croft - 10 appearances each7. Dearden (12 games in 2020)
8. Flegler - 8 appearances (Offa 4)8. Haas (17 games in 2020)
9. Luke - 10 appearances (Turpin 6)9. Turpin (6 games in 2020)
10. Haas - 16 appearances (Kennedy 3)10. Lodge (6 games in 2020)
11. Fifita - 10 appearances (Glenn 5)11. Glenn (8 games in 2020)
12. TPJ - 7 appearances (Teo 4)12. Riki (5 games in 2020)
13. Carrigan - 19 appearances (Offa 1)13. Asiata (11 games in 2020)
14. Paix - 9 appearances (Luke, Tesi, Herbie 2)14. Paix (9 appearances off the bench)
15. Teo - 10 appearances (Joffa 7)15. Flegler (13 games in 2020)
16. Kennedy - 9 appearances (Bullemor 7)16. Carrigan (19 games in 2020)
17. Hopoate - 9 appearances (Riki 4, Lodge 3)17. TPJ (9 games in 2020)

You could almost assume players with 10 or less games in 2020 as "ins" for 2021 so that would include:
- Isaako
- Turpin
- Lodge
- Riki
- Glenn
- TPJ

So whilst we haven't had many "ins" in the normal sense we are welcoming back 6 players and all of them may come straight back into the starting 13

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
How many bad games do you remember him playing? I remember some shockers from locker, Lewis and even Alfie but smith: never.
There is also what he bring to this in a capacity other than a player. If even a 10th of his work ethic or professionalism rub off on the young guys we win. And surely if he talks, they listen. And if they don't: better put them on the next taxi because they arent worth listening to.
Add to this, he has an established relationship with Kevie already, and I don't see a down side.
At the end of the day he might not have the passion to begin with, but I get the impression our coach listened and watched when Wayne worked his magic, so perhaps he can help him find it. But even flat, going through the motions, he would still be more effective and professional than the rest of the squad because I doubt there is anyone who works harder.
The only danger is that he ruffles a few Prima Donna's feathers as he can be quite forthright but frankly this squad could do with it.

That Origin he deliberately dogged it so that he could get his mates Slater and Munster in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • BroncoFan94
  • pennywisealfie
  • eazy-duzzit
  • bert_lifts
  • Lozza
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.