Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, I appreciate the enthusiasm you have but you(and others) seem to go off like a firecracker without really having all the facts. Firstly, the club hasn't ALLOWED the players to look elsewhere. Thse are grown humans, they all have choice! The club doesn't have the power to allow or disallow a player to check out the market.

Secondly, you list a few players but I'd bet if you went to the other 15 clubs there'd be exactly the same situation. It's not a big deal if they haven't signed with us and it'd be the same every year.

These players have independent thoughts, feelings and outlooks and may decide to sign on for 22 and beyond but it's entirely up to them when they decide. The club cannot force them to choose a path, it can only make an offer and offer a timeframe for a decision.

Unless you are an insider you cannot know with any certainty that the Broncos haven't done the best job possible. I'm just saying, chill and don't respond to clickbait conjecture😉
I think you’ve misunderstood. The club should’ve shown some level of foresight and tactically staggered the years some of these players come off contact via extensions before the became free agents. If that many juniors all turned down extensions because they want to test the market than that is also reflective of issues at the club.

Im not going off, but I’m also not pretending it isn’t an issue.

That article has been copied and pasted about 4 times now, fairly confident we will keep him .

What ever happened to the “ Broncos never lose anyone they want to keep” story. Down the tube with all the other good stuff, I suppose. Another shadow of our former self. ****.

Nope. About as far from my position as it is to be!

I'm comfortable with the new KW led recruitment and retention plans. Tells them what's happening, tells them where he sees them in his plans and leaves it up to them to decide if they want to be part of Kevvie and the Broncos tribe.

People need to understand this, if a club's worth playing for it will attract and keep those it needs. You don't need to be tough or demand things, that which is freely given is always worth so much more.

This doesn't mean we shouldn't spruik our wares nor does it mean we should cower like a beaten spouse. No, we should just stand proud and decide, are you good enough a human being to join our tribe? If so, we'll consider you. Sucking their dicks to get them to play for us just guarantees we'll have entitled prima donnas everywhere.
You have some pretty unsavoury analogies!
Battered women...... Sounds delicious but it isn't right 😋.

Why hasn’t he been re-signed already? Glenn won’t be here next year.

He hasn't played since 2019, if they offered him a renewed deal to a Meninga kid and it didn't work out fans would be blowing up about why would you offer an unproven kid a contract.

The Broncos are well aware of his talent- he's the best second row talent out there with Howarth It's better for him as well- if he plays well the first couple of ISC games he can point to that and say I can play against men give me the deal I want.

Having said that I think the risk is minimal- he's a line running, tackling animal.

If he’d played ISC this year he would have got an upgrade. Giving an upgrade to a Meninga kid who has had a year off has some risks.

He’s certainly trained hard and impressed people in the bubble but hasn’t played yet.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he plays the first few rounds of ISC and gets himself a new deal.

Having said that I’ve been saying for two years he’s going to go alright, Tweed, Queensland and Australia he’s stepped up every time.

It is worth jumping up and down about. The club has allowed for 7 promising young players to all come off contract at the same time and none of them have re-signed with the season a week away.

I just mentioned it in another post, Staggs, Paikura, Dearden, Turpin, Riki, Coates, and to a less concerning extent, Niu are all free to sign with other clubs and none except for Dearden (despite visiting other employers facilities) have stated their intention to remain. We have just lost Fifita. The only young player we’ve managed to secure is Flegler and it was an overinflated deal for the least promising player of the bunch.

This is a massive issue and one the club has gotten itself into by mismanagement. Some of these guys needed to be locked down early. Fifita, Dearden, Walsh, and Paikura should never been in a position to speak to other clubs. That’s why we don’t hear about the Storm, they commit and lock up the good ones early.
Pretty confident Donaghy's first 100 days will be all about moneyballing the roster. Piakura, Riki, Walsh and Dearden will be priorities. These youngsters need some gametime to establish their worth. Pointless getting worked up about it now based on speculation.

Coates and Staggs might be potentially overvalued right now. Tesi Niu is a massive question mark. It's a gamble either way whether a young player blooms like Harry Grant or bombs like "fill this space." You'd think it's less of a gamble with an older player but then again, we spent big on Boyd, Milford, Bird, Roberts and Barba.

Have a sneaking suspicion we are still paying an amount to Boyd.
?????? Why the **** would we be paying him? Unless of course he's employed in some non playing capacity for the club.

Prety sure I didn't write 'battered women'.
No, "A beaten spouse" you wrote. Which is pretty close. Battered women, men and UFS they all taste the same!

?????? Why the **** would we be paying him? Unless of course he's employed in some non playing capacity for the club.
Isn't Boyd employed as a mentor? I thought I read that somewhere.

He hasn't played since 2019, if they offered him a renewed deal to a Meninga kid and it didn't work out fans would be blowing up about why would you offer an unproven kid a contract.

The Broncos are well aware of his talent- he's the best second row talent out there with Howarth It's better for him as well- if he plays well the first couple of ISC games he can point to that and say I can play against men give me the deal I want.

Having said that I think the risk is minimal- he's a line running, tackling animal.
Your last sentence is why I’m being impatient, he seems to be something we haven’t had in ages and would “probably” be an upgrade on Glenn already. He seems to be (from what you’ve written on him) the least risky blue collar player we have been clamouring for.

Your last sentence is why I’m being impatient, he seems to be something we haven’t had in ages and would “probably” be an upgrade on Glenn already. He seems to be (from what you’ve written on him) the least risky blue collar player we have been clamouring for.
It’s just interesting when the club chooses to be risky. The Boyd, Lodge, Gillett, and Seibold deals were massive risks and I’m glad we are moving away from that mentality but we still make risky signings: Flegler $600k for 3 years? Why in Gods name was he the guy we decided to take that punt on? Riki has always looked far better than Flegler and he’s in a position we are thin on.

I’ve not seen him play, so won’t pretend I know anything about him.

Based on what you’ve said though, is he more Matt Gillett than David Fifita?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Sproj
  • mieko
  • Bucking Beads
  • Waynesaurus
  • bazza
  • john1420
  • azza.79
  • Foordy
  • mitch222
  • Rough and Ready
  • The Don
  • HarryAllan7
  • Mr Fourex
  • Galah
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Big Del
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.