Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys saying Kodi isn't amounting to anything and I hate this question but have you genuinely watched any Warriors games last year or the first round this year? He has come on really well as a half. He would be on half of what Milf is on and is easily producing twice as much over the last season. I'd happily take him back to play 6 and Croft or Dearden at 7.

I also love the idea of Staggs for Smith, it benefits both clubs and that is what all deals should do.
I really think we should try and hold on to our strike centre as long as he doesn't want crazy money.
I'd like to give Turpin more of a go to show his wares before rushing in for B.Smith.

You guys saying Kodi isn't amounting to anything and I hate this question but have you genuinely watched any Warriors games last year or the first round this year? He has come on really well as a half. He would be on half of what Milf is on and is easily producing twice as much over the last season. I'd happily take him back to play 6 and Croft or Dearden at 7.

I also love the idea of Staggs for Smith, it benefits both clubs and that is what all deals should do.
'Producing twice as much as Milford over the last two years' isn't exactly a very high bar to jump over though.

I remember when the numbers were pulled up for Milford from a game either last year or perhaps 2019 and it being pointed out that he'd only just barely contributed more statistically than Tom Dearden managed in that same game. The fun part of that comparison was that Tom Dearden didn't actually play that game and watched it from the grandstands.

Whatever happened to his brother Jayden that got the arse from the roosters?
I always thought he was the better of the brothers but he's probably gone off the rails.

He did his shoulder and had surgery in the off season with the warriors and is now back at Redcliffe.

He has actually gone the complete opposite to going off the rails. He works at the project180 gym in a small team of athletes/PT's/coaches lead by Glenn Azar. They focus on personal development, mental health and mindset. Jayden is a big part of it and does events, seminars and youth camps using his story to try and help others. I only know this from following the gym through various social media platforms and their podcast "bro chat". He really seems to be making a positive impact there. It's quite remarkable how he has been able to turn his life around.

I think he will get back into a NRL squad soon enough. He seems really dedicated to get there and probably would have at the warriors if he didn't do his shoulder. He would be a handy utility with the speed of the current game.

That well used line about doing the same thing and expecting different outcomes is ringing in my ears again..

We’ve been down this road, for multiple seasons, and Nikorima wasn’t good enough.. and that was with a stronger support cast.
If we want to be a middling team, Nikorima makes sense. But if you want to build a team that’s capable of beating the best, you need a half with more upside than Nikorima has

We should have kept Kodi over Milf and I said as much at the time of Milf re-contracting. Is Kodi going to be your go to man and the superstar in your spine? Probably not but he also isn't going to be wanting as much as Milf is moving forward and for all Milf's talent, he just doesn't have the drive or any whatsoever really to justify the price tag some other club will throw at him. Is Kodi better than Croft or Dearden then? Yes without a doubt currently, though both may have future upside Kodi doesn't have. I am not betting the house on Dearden yet either but he does look promising.

I think a Kodi-Croft combo could be good until an elite halfback is either developed or becomes available on the market (which almost never happens these days) and it will cost a bucket load less than a Milf-whoever combo.

All of this is on the assumption Milf won't accept an offer of 500k a year.

Staggs for Smith I'm okay with, but it does leave Turps a bit hard done by. I think he has at least done enough so far to warrant a chance to make the position his own.

Staggs for Smith I'm okay with, but it does leave Turps a bit hard done by. I think he has at least done enough so far to warrant a chance to make the position his own.

Yeah it is hard luck on Turps for sure but he is a bit injury prone and inconsistent unfortunately. I am also more than happy to give him this season to show if he is up to being our long term hooker moving forward. We are not desperate to sign Smith.

I'm not sure Kodi would want to come back, the club burnt him, I actually think we will re-sign Milford on a reduced contract. He is a 'marquee' player who sponsors like and bring people in the gates despite patchy performances, he's shown enough spark on various occasions for him to still excite the fans.

He will do enough this year for the Broncs to give him another 2 or 3 years. I don't think he wants to leave Brisbane so he will take a pay cut.

The reality is the team also needs his long kicking game.................... Kodi, Croft, Deardon don't have that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaz

Imagine Smith starting at 9, soaking up the initial exchanges and laying a platform and then Turpin coming on around the 60 minute mark to expose some tired forwards around the middle of the field while Smith pushes out to a ball-playing 13 spot.

Don't like carrying a pure dummy half @ 14 generally, but if you had a versatile option like Oates on the bench to cover outside backs then I think you'd be safe.

That would be one hell of a 1-2 punch, would keep us rolling forward the entire game without wearing out and blunting either Smith or Turpin who both throw themselves into everything and play 100-miles-a-minute. Both play with such intensity that they could use the break / switch.

That well used line about doing the same thing and expecting different outcomes is ringing in my ears again..

We’ve been down this road, for multiple seasons, and Nikorima wasn’t good enough.. and that was with a stronger support cast.
If we want to be a middling team, Nikorima makes sense. But if you want to build a team that’s capable of beating the best, you need a half with more upside than Nikorima has

Nikorima played 7 for us but his game is more suited to 5/8 which is where I think you see him more for the warriors

He did his shoulder and had surgery in the off season with the warriors and is now back at Redcliffe.

He has actually gone the complete opposite to going off the rails. He works at the project180 gym in a small team of athletes/PT's/coaches lead by Glenn Azar. They focus on personal development, mental health and mindset. Jayden is a big part of it and does events, seminars and youth camps using his story to try and help others. I only know this from following the gym through various social media platforms and their podcast "bro chat". He really seems to be making a positive impact there. It's quite remarkable how he has been able to turn his life around.

I think he will get back into a NRL squad soon enough. He seems really dedicated to get there and probably would have at the warriors if he didn't do his shoulder. He would be a handy utility with the speed of the current game.
Ok thanks for the update, sounds like he's hopefully on the way back.

Yeah it is hard luck on Turps for sure but he is a bit injury prone and inconsistent unfortunately. I am also more than happy to give him this season to show if he is up to being our long term hooker moving forward. We are not desperate to sign Smith.

the guy has yet to play 30 games, half of which in the halves and another few off the bench. A bit hard to call him inconsistent when he’s barely played his position for more than a month at a time

Nikorima played 7 for us but his game is more suited to 5/8 which is where I think you see him more for the warriors
Speaking of whom, he's up for grabs at the end of this season pending a further one year option.

Badel on 360 said Riki is about to sign a two year extension with the Broncs.

He also said that Dearden is wanting to stay at the Broncs but if he doesn't play first grade by round 6, he is off to the Cowboys.

Its Badel, so probably the opposite will happen in both cases.

He also said that Dearden is wanting to stay at the Broncs but if he doesn't play first grade by round 6, he is off to the Cowboys.

he has to say that, since he wrote the same thing in the paper

Badel on 360 said Riki is about to sign a two year extension with the Broncs.

Its Badel, so probably the opposite will happen in both cases.
I don't believe a word badel says but if (that's a big if) that's deardens criteria for which club he joins he can pack up and go. That is a very weak mentality, what would happen after a season ending injury? Will he be happy if the team wins without him? Will he hate any coach that dumps him for poor form? That's the type of attitude that club choice criteria screams to me. If it's more money, fine, but 6 bloody games and the 18 year old isn't getting picked so he throws his toys out of the cot? Hahaha

I don't believe a word badel says but if (that's a big if) that's deardens criteria for which club he joins he can pack up and go. That is a very weak mentality, what would happen after a season ending injury? Will he be happy if the team wins without him? Will he hate any coach that dumps him for poor form? That's the type of attitude that club choice criteria screams to me. If it's more money, fine, but 6 bloody games and the 18 year old isn't getting picked so he throws his toys out of the cot? Hahaha
TBH Deardon has yet to prove himself. If he goes he won't be too much of a loss. Same with Staggs. That said I hope they both stay so long as we don't pay stupid money to keep them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Dexter
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Jedhead
  • bert_lifts
  • eggstar10
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • johnny plath
  • Astro
  • Redfern_1980
  • Battler
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Waynesaurus
  • Galah
  • Culhwch
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Howie
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.