Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
with the right game plan Isaako is going to surprise a lot of people IMO.

he's not the strongest play maker, so we need to think more Billy Slater style and less Kayln Ponga style. focus on his strengths: speed, acceleration, footwork support play.

Obviously he is still a work in progress and has some key areas to fix, like positioning while defending our try line

I'm more pissed off we lost Walsh than I was about Fifita. So angry! Why do clubs offer such big deals! Doesn't make sense
because there desperate i guess they feel they have no choice but to take a gamble to try and turn there fortunes.

if it works they look like geniuses

if they dont well at worst they stay at the bottom of the ladder were they would of been any way.

So I do understand.

I Wonder if the broncos have 2-3 more years of being bottom 4 will we be the one who offer 800k+ at unproven talent just for the chance.

Last edited:
agreed mostly except for grant.

im pretty sure I have heard his name spoken about for years before fox got on the hype train but yeah paps seemed to come out of nowhere
He was rated on here, but he rarely got a mention outside of the talking heads tossing up potential replacements for Cameron Smith. He certainly wasn't held in the esteem he should have been.

Regardless, there's always those Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad types who seemingly come from nowhere. Brisbane can get out of this, it's just a shame for fans that we watch this player come through from Under 16s and before he's even ready a club comes along and offers ridiculous money because they're desperate.

Last edited:

he's not the strongest play maker, so we need to think more Billy Slater style and less Kayln Ponga style. focus on his strengths: speed, acceleration, footwork support play.

Obviously he is still a work in progress and has some key areas to fix, like positioning while defending our try line
If Slater didn't have his timing and positioning, which were honestly once in a generation talent wise, he'd be a mediocre playmaker IMO. Isaako might get better, but I can't see him having those attributes that Slater had.

I Wonder if the broncos have 2-3 more years of being bottom 4 will we be the one who offer 800k+ at unproven talent just for the chance.

we're not going to get that chance to find out what we'd do being bottom 4 for so long

Look, I am as critical of the club's recruitment and retention policy as the next bloke and aside from the question of why he wasn't already locked up if he is the heir apparent, this kind of offer from the Warriors is deadset ridiculous. I don't blame the Broncs for not matching. It will suck if he goes on to become what he looks like he will be but so be it.

Amazing that no one seems to be offering Hoy or Hammer the big bucks and as @Big Pete mentions, the Roosters sign Suaalii because...reasons.

In any case, I'd be going after Manu now.

Or the other option...Staggs. Those are the two I'd be considering really. Whoever is better is fullback, whoever is 'worse' is centre. Win-win all round.

But for goodness sake, can we PLEASE lock up some of our remaining off contract kids OFFICIALLY in terms of Riki, Coates, Staggs, Dearden and Piakura?

I was feeling yesterday we would lose Staggs +1, hopefully we just lose the +1.

Ah, ***** sake.

Really would've liked to see Walsh get a run in Broncos colours but what's the point now?

Last edited:
So there goes the broncos contingency plan , walsh gone next will be piakura then Dearden. I think I'm out, can't get excited about the game anymore.

If Slater didn't have his timing and positioning, which were honestly once in a generation talent wise, he'd be a mediocre playmaker IMO. Isaako might get better, but I can't see him having those attributes that Slater had.

Isaako has similar qualities to Slater ... although not at his level.

Slater was also suspect defensively when he first started at the Storm ... he developed that side of his game, i have no doubt that Isaako can too.

don't get me wrong ... i doubt he'd ever be a genuine superstar fullback like a Slater or Tedesco ... but he can become a top quality fullback for us if given the chance

If we lose Piakura as well I'm just gonna start supporting the new Brisbane side I reckon. Hopefully they'll have better luck retaining talent.

maybe, I personally think he will be nothing more then a journeyman serviceable winger who can fill in fullback for a team from time to time.

and there is nothing wrong with that. you need those players in your team to.

We just need a genuine superstar in our team milf was suppose to be that but its clear he will never reach that height.

if we are unable to find 1 or ideally 2 marquee players for our side in the next few years we will unfortunately continue to be a bottom 8 team who either gets the spoon or just scraps into the finals through determination and grit.

Broncos had a talented young player and possible future cornerstone of the club signed to a contract and had exclusive rights to negotiate with that player to extend their contract, before November 1 when other teams come knocking.

Broncos fail to lock this player up before the deadline, exposing themselves to a bidding war for said young player.

Desperate bottom 8 team throws ridiculous money at young player, who then begrudgingly leaves.

Broncos justify the loss by acting like their decision not to overpay was intelligent and prudent, when really they shouldn't have even allowed themselves to be in the position to be outbid in the first place.

This is EXACTLY what happened with Fifita and we clearly didn't learn our lesson.

This is sheer arrogance from the board. How many times are we going to say 'oh well not our fault, nothing we can do if a team wants to overpay, we did the right thing' and shift the blame instead of taking steps to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Is it going to take losing Dearden too before we realise how stupid this is?

Look at how the Roosters handled Keary coming off contract a couple of years ago when he was set to be the best player by a country mile available in free agency... they quietly extended him another 3 years BEFORE other clubs were even able to talk to him... Had they waited, maybe a desperate team pays him $1.5m or more and the Roosters lose him, but they knew better than to allow themselves to be in that situation.

START. EXTENDING. THE. PLAYERS. WE. WANT. TO. KEEP. BEFORE. OTHER. CLUBS. CAN. OVERPAY.

So:

Haas - Signed on
Flegler - Signed on
Bullemor - Signed on
Carrigan - Signed on
Farnworth - Signed on

Riki - Apparently signing on

Fifita - Gone
Walsh - Gone

Dearden - ??
Coates - ??
Piakura - ??
Staggs - ??

Thoughts on who will stay and who will go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Muros
  • Mick_Hancock
  • BroncsNBundy
  • marw
  • maddo
  • Bucking Beads
  • jarro65
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Jedhead
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.