Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Broncos had a talented young player and possible future cornerstone of the club signed to a contract and had exclusive rights to negotiate with that player to extend their contract, before November 1 when other teams come knocking.

they didn't have exclusive rights to negotiate with Walsh. the NRL busted that myth several years ago, although the media continue to talk about it.

there is no rule in place to stop clubs talking to players and/or their agents at any time. the only rule is around when contracts will be registered by the NRL

Broncos had a talented young player and possible future cornerstone of the club signed to a contract and had exclusive rights to negotiate with that player to extend their contract, before November 1 when other teams come knocking.

Broncos fail to lock this player up before the deadline, exposing themselves to a bidding war for said young player.

Desperate bottom 8 team throws ridiculous money at young player, who then begrudgingly leaves.

Broncos justify the loss by acting like their decision not to overpay was intelligent and prudent, when really they shouldn't have even allowed themselves to be in the position to be outbid in the first place.

This is EXACTLY what happened with Fifita and we clearly didn't learn our lesson.

This is sheer arrogance from the board. How many times are we going to say 'oh well not our fault, nothing we can do if a team wants to overpay, we did the right thing' and shift the blame instead of taking steps to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Is it going to take losing Dearden too before we realise how stupid this is?

Look at how the Roosters handled Keary coming off contract a couple of years ago when he was set to be the best player by a country mile available in free agency... they quietly extended him another 3 years BEFORE other clubs were even able to talk to him... Had they waited, maybe a desperate team pays him $1.5m or more and the Roosters lose him, but they knew better than to allow themselves to be in that situation.

START. EXTENDING. THE. PLAYERS. WE. WANT. TO. KEEP. BEFORE. OTHER. CLUBS. CAN. OVERPAY.
You talk as if he doesnt have a player manager in his ear trying to get the best money for said player and the best money for himself.

It would be pretty naive to think clubs are not letting it be known there interest in these players before that nov 1 date too.

End of the day it took 1.2 million to sign fifita and 600k maybe for a guy who hasnt played nrl.

Last edited:
Anyone wanna hit me some good news? Something we don’t hear about in the media, up coming players, or a seriously good fb we may possibly be in on?

could do with a pick me up, it’s pretty fucked being a broncos fan atm. 😩

Dearden - ??
Coates - ??
Piakura - ??
Staggs - ??

Dearden to stay
Coates to stay

Piakura to go to either the Titans or Bulldogs endless pits of $$$$

Staggs ... unsure, initially was firmly in the leave for $$$ camp ... maybe stay now

Last edited:
Also, does this mean Walsh signed 10 days ago?

A good way to counter this would be to have Riki announced sooner rather than later.

Nothing you can do when clubs come along and offer blokes insane overs. 600k for a bloke who hasn’t played a game of fg and who hasn’t been in your system is nuts.

People will meme and laugh at the Broncos “losing” another jr, but if we matched just Fifita and Walsh’s offers we’d have nearly 2 mil tied up in those two players. Does that sound like a good position to be in?

Dearden to stay
Coates to stay

Stagg ... unsure although leaning towards go

Yeah I think this is about right, it is what I am feeling in my post-curry guts anyway.

they didn't have exclusive rights to negotiate with Walsh. the NRL busted that myth several years ago, although the media continue to talk about it.

there is no rule in place to stop clubs talking to players and/or their agents at any time. the only rule is around when contracts will be registered by the NRL
You talk as if he doesnt have a player manager in his ear trying to get the best money for said player and the best money for himself.

It would be pretty naive to think clubs are not letting it be known there interest in these players before that nov 1 date too.

End of the day it took 1.2 million to sign fifita and 600k maybe for a guy who hasnt played nrl.

If we wanted to keep him, then having the foresight to extend his contract before it was about to expire would have the same impact.

Desperate teams with huge holes to fill are always looking at 'who is available next year' to throw money at in an attempt to achieve an instant turnaround. Their recruitment centres around who is available ASAP and that's how they target.

If Walsh is extended a year ago, he is no longer a target to these desperate clubs, the Warriors never have the opportunity to overpay and the Broncos have managed to extend Walsh's tenure without having to outbid other teams, because he never even likely popped up on their radar.

As much as it hurts to admit, both Walsh and Fifita situations were avoidable... We shouldn't overpay, but we should take steps to ensure we're not in a position where we have to.

Last edited:
This one hurts big time. We lost a future star player raised in south east QLD who was given a fair offer and assurance of a starting position next year to the Warriors. I don’t get overhyped often, I still don’t rate Niu much but Walsh looked the goods

Money be damned this one proves more than Fifita how far we have fallen

Nothing you can do when clubs come along and offer blokes insane overs. 600k for a bloke who hasn’t played a game of fg and who hasn’t been in your system is nuts.

People will meme and laugh at the Broncos “losing” another jr, but if we matched just Fifita and Walsh’s offers we’d have nearly 2 mil tied up in those two players. Does that sound like a good position to be in?
Got no problem with the club not matching Fifita's deal, that was just insane.

Dearden to stay
Coates to stay

Staggs ... unsure, initially was firmly in the leave for $$$ camp ... maybe stay now
Man, would we not be fighting hard for piakura? He surely has a spot for next year.

Man, would we not be fighting hard for piakura? He surely has a spot for next year.
The dogs or titans will prob offer him 800k or something out of this world ricidulous and be praised by the media for a successful "raid" or whatever buzzword they decide to use.

Broncos fail to lock this player up before the deadline, exposing themselves to a bidding war for said young player.

Desperate bottom 8 team throws ridiculous money at young player, who then begrudgingly leaves.

Broncos justify the loss by acting like their decision not to overpay was intelligent and prudent, when really they shouldn't have even allowed themselves to be in the position to be outbid in the first place.

This is EXACTLY what happened with Fifita and we clearly didn't learn our lesson.

This is sheer arrogance from the board. How many times are we going to say 'oh well not our fault, nothing we can do if a team wants to overpay, we did the right thing' and shift the blame instead of taking steps to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Is it going to take losing Dearden too before we realise how stupid this is?

Look at how the Roosters handled Keary coming off contract a couple of years ago when he was set to be the best player by a country mile available in free agency... they quietly extended him another 3 years BEFORE other clubs were even able to talk to him... Had they waited, maybe a desperate team pays him $1.5m or more and the Roosters lose him, but they knew better than to allow themselves to be in that situation.

START. EXTENDING. THE. PLAYERS. WE. WANT. TO. KEEP. BEFORE. OTHER. CLUBS. CAN. OVERPAY.
The Broncos entered discussions with Fifita in 2019 and he kept delaying it. He even had a change of management during the deal, he was the classic case of the young kid just looking to earn the biggest contract he could.

I agree that the Broncos need to be ahead of the curve of these deals but what you're seeing is the fallout from last year. It's difficult to get players to commit or commit to the players when the entire future of the club is up in the air. I think they've done their best to control the damage but they can't begin to recover until Donaghy begins in May.

So you want to pay a kid that hasn’t played a second of NRL 600k a year do you?
Hasn't even played a second of QCup!

That's what annoys me the most.

Last edited:
The Broncos entered discussions with Fifita in 2019 and he kept delaying it. He even had a change of management during the deal, he was the classic case of the young kid just looking to earn the biggest contract he could.

Then we should have saddled up and put our foot down and stood up for ourselves and told him either sign or move on.

Best case we sign him up early for a reasonable price, worst case we lose him early and we can make contingency plans.

Both situations are better than being publicly strung along by a greedy, stupid young kid and then spurned at the last minute.

I agree that the Broncos need to be ahead of the curve of these deals but what you're seeing is the fallout from last year. It's difficult to get players to commit or commit to the players when the entire future of the club is up in the air. I think they've done their best to control the damage but they can't begin to recover until Donaghy begins in May.

I think you're right (I certainly hope so)... Fingers crossed we see things change and someone with half a clue step in and right the ship. The level of ineptitude with the last mob is really staggering.

Last edited:
This one hurts big time. We lost a future star player raised in south east QLD who was given a fair offer and assurance of a starting position next year to the Warriors. I don’t get overhyped often, I still don’t rate Niu much but Walsh looked the goods

Money be damned this one proves more than Fifita how far we have fallen

I think you've nailed it sadly. This one REALLY hurts. Yeah it is a ridiculous offer but man, the promise of being Broncos fullback used to be the pinnacle.

Regardless of who should have / shouldn't have said / done whatever, it just feels like another kick in the guts just as things looked to be turning around with news of Riki (which is still not official unfortunately).

If Brisbane continue to flounder, & revenues inevitably decline and profits fall, how long do you think it will be before questions are asked about spending over a million dollars a year on a EPD program that benefits the development of players for rival clubs? And if those resources are pulled out of the system who is going to replace it? Yes, for every one you lose, you may keep a few, but the system atm is broken, it never accounted for clubs offering marquee deals to kids yet to even debut. There's a chicken & egg paradox happening atm whereby the successful clubs can stockpile talent on less money with the belief they are in a successful system, while the less fortunate are playing roulette with kids in the hope they are the next big thing. I really worry about where these kids go after getting the big career payday before their career has even begun, it's not healthy for them or the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Muros
  • BroncsNBundy
  • marw
  • jarro65
  • Bucking Beads
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Jedhead
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fozz
  • Old Mate
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.