Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe they blew that lead today.
Yeah was a big choke. 5th game in 7 days though, first half they went hard and just ran out of gas

Yeah was a big choke. 5th game in 7 days though, first half they went hard and just ran out of gas

Neither side could score for that last quarter. It must have been like 20% from the field.

maybe they can't afford Drinkwater and Dearden.

so we should chase Drinkwater and table a fair offer to Dearden
Drinkwater would be the better option IMHO, solves the immediate problem - lack of a quality fullback and can play 5/8 for when we need one...

If I were Kev, Drinkwater, B.Smith and Kurt Capewell would be my priority signings. Staggs, Riki, Dearden the priority re-signings...

I like what Walter's has done.... if I was him I'd be using the press conference to absolutely blast player managers and the NRL for the culture they have created. Reiterate that if kids grow up dreaming about playing for the Broncos (most SEQ kids into footy still do), in front of big crowds and want the best facilities with the history we have they can take it or fucking leave, we won't be held to ransom, but they won't be welcome back when it goes wrong 5/10 times so they better make sure it's a worthwhile gamble. Id then drill the NRL about player development with some figures on hand regarding what we bring financially to the game compared to the other numpties who have all this money to throw at our players.

I like what Walter's has done.... if I was him I'd be using the press conference to absolutely blast player managers and the NRL for the culture they have created. Reiterate that if kids grow up dreaming about playing for the Broncos (most SEQ kids into footy still do), in front of big crowds and want the best facilities with the history we have they can take it or fucking leave, we won't be held to ransom, but they won't be welcome back when it goes wrong 5/10 times so they better make sure it's a worthwhile gamble. Id then drill the NRL about player development with some figures on hand regarding what we bring financially to the game compared to the other numpties who have all this money to throw at our players.
That would carry a lot more weight if we didn’t spend our money like drunken sailors on absolute spuds who have delivered NOTHING.

I cant be upset that we didnt throw the sink at an unproven, untested kid with 0mins played at a qcup level, let alone nrl.

Brisbane should drop him to brl level and try and develop another kid. What's the point in giving him minutes at even q cup level if hes not going to be here next year?

Even if it is 450k that is not only ridiculous it is outright irresponsible for a kid that hasn’t even played Q Cup. I would be filthy if we even tried to match it. It’s funny because I guarantee if we signed him for that the same amount of people would be blowing up that we paid that much for a untested kid.

Everyone wants Kevvie to fix the culture well what culture do you think it sets if we pay this kid 500k? What do you think it does for future contracts? “Ok Kotoni , we would like to offer you a 600k contract, we think you are easily worth 100k more than Reece ‘haven’t played a second of Q cup’ Walsh. Kotoni? Kotoni? Where are you going?... He must be looking for a pen to sign with”.

We still have Cobbo, so let’s hope he comes on well and we forget all about Walsh.

Drinkwater would be the better option IMHO, solves the immediate problem - lack of a quality fullback and can play 5/8 for when we need one...

If I were Kev, Drinkwater, B.Smith and Kurt Capewell would be my priority signings. Staggs, Riki, Dearden the priority re-signings...
I'd be making a "here and now" player list rather then our current "potential/unproven/held to ransom" position.

Drinkwater
Capewell
Mann
Hymel hunt/gagai/opacic
Billy Walters/Lachlan lewis

And a luxury: dunamis lui/ah mau

Depth options also:
Edrick Lee/Brenko Lee/pearson/nene macdonald
Mago/Tolman

We don't need superstars to make this squad incredible. We need a few gaps filled by known rock solid performers while the superstars develop and chime in when needed. Haas, TPJ, riki, farnworth, turpin and any of staggs, Coates and dearden who stay with us just need some reliable players around them and competition for spots to help them win..

That would carry a lot more weight if we didn’t spend our money like drunken sailors on absolute spuds who have delivered NOTHING.
It's Walter's saying this, not Paul white. Who has Walter's over spent on? So far, has drawn a line in the sand and stuck to it. After the initial dissapointment I am genuinely happy with what the club has done here. It was same with fifita. We need to draw a line in the sand and stick to it with these impatient and entitled kids who somehow have an unwavering belief that their player managers are thinking about their players best interests over their career rather them a quick buck...

I agree that players shouldn't be picked on potential, but if the plan was for him to be the NRL fullback than you've got to be prepared to pay those wages.

It's like I was saying with Corey Allan. A lot of people baulked at $500,000 but if you rate him as an NRL fullback than that's what you have to be prepared to pay.
Yeah, Kev has really put the pressure on himself if what 1910 has said is true. He let a very promising player who he saw as good enough to promise the fullback jumper to leave. If Walsh is tearing it up at the Warriors next season and we’re still languishing toward the bottom 4, he’s going to look pretty incompetent. I really hope he has a good plan b.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Pablo
  • Professor47
  • Alec
  • Hurrijo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • pennywisealfie
  • DrGee
  • ostin86
  • heartly87
  • ozzball
  • Hoshsie
  • theshed
  • cento
  • Nightwatchman
  • rnabokov
  • Battler
  • The True King
  • Locky24
  • lakers133334
  • Skyblues87
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.