Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Piakura is so good why is he not in the side? Is he still in rehab?
I kind of glazed over at about half way through last season and stopped following pretty much anything football related so I feel like I’m missing something with this kid. He looked good going back a season or two then he did his Knee... He hasn’t played any footy yet the Bulldogs are going to throw $800k at him?? If he’s fit and not in the side maybe he has already signed somewhere else and Kevvie is leaving him out?
You might have him mixed up with Palasia, Piakura is a teenager who was in the NRL bubble last year and is on a development deal this year. The Broncos will ease him through the QCup system and will look to give him some games during the back-end of the season.

What gets me is that the Broncos have reportedly offered him $500,000 to re-sign.

hate to say it cause i love him but i really think kevie fucked up here.

if what 1910 say is true then a 350 offer probably would of got the kid over the line.

and as big pete said if we promised hes the starting fullback next year then 400-450max does not seem that out of line proven or not.

you have to take some risks in football and it feels like our past over paying of players has made us to gun shy now and we are to scared to take any chances at all.

and a 350-400 offer for someone who genuinely looks like a superstar in the making is not even that big of a risk especially when we have no other fullback options.

man this whole situation has just made me so depressed about the broncos again its just been one big kick in the guts after the next we really need a fuckin win tomorrow night to lift the spirits

We may well have been trying to re-sign all of these guys well before other clubs can poach. But remember how player managers treat our club - either the Broncos are interested in signing every player from other clubs, or any player we have is a superstar who is getting interest from all 15 other clubs. They are 100% looking at squeezing every dollar for their player (and themselves) with no regard for whether it is the best move career or development wise. It's therefore likely that managers are deliberately holding out until rival offers are on the table, regardless of how early we try to re-sign them.

We always joke about the Roosters' endless salary cap, signing every young kid on the cheap despite much larger offers elsewhere. Maybe it's not just the players winning rounds of golf, maybe the managers are in on it too. It'd actually make much more economic sense doubling the sweet commission of the guy who normally only gets a 7% cut.

You do know he's not dead, right? Two years time we can start negotiations then, he probably will have had a gutful of NZud by then!
I really hope we aren't still looking for a fullback by mid-2023.

You might have him mixed up with Palasia, Piakura is a teenager who was in the NRL bubble last year and is on a development deal this year. The Broncos will ease him through the QCup system and will look to give him some games during the back-end of the season.

What gets me is that the Broncos have reportedly offered him $500,000 to re-sign.
i hope that last line is not true cause it makes this walsh situation worse again.

why the **** is our recruitment hellbent on having our forward/backrowers earn more then our spine players.

I really hope we aren't still looking for a fullback by mid-2023.
Never know Dash but what if we don't need one by then? Every year there's high value targets available and I think the Bronco's have figured out how best to spend their money BEARING IN MIND the proposed new Brisbane team. They're committed to good money management and I don't mind not knowing exactly what the plan is. I truly believe there is a plan in place and harsh lessons have been learned. The straw that broke the back was the payout to Seeplod...it really hit home in the front office.

Last edited:
Why would we offer a kid with 0 games close to 500, when we could probably get someone like Manu for 800k
Manu is on 700+ at the Roosters apparently, don't think he's gonna come to the Broncos on 800.

hate to say it cause i love him but i really think kevie fucked up here.

if what 1910 say is true then a 350 offer probably would of got the kid over the line.

and as big pete said if we promised hes the starting fullback next year then 400-450max does not seem that out of line proven or not.

you have to take some risks in football and it feels like our past over paying of players has made us to gun shy now and we are to scared to take any chances at all.

and a 350-400 offer for someone who genuinely looks like a superstar in the making is not even that big of a risk especially when we have no other fullback options.

man this whole situation has just made me so depressed about the broncos again its just been one big kick in the guts after the next we really need a fuckin win tomorrow night to lift the spirits
I was excited about this kid too but promising an 18 year old 400,000 and a starting fullback position is exactly the type of stupid decision that got us into the mess we are in. These KIDS may be the most talented players in the history of the games.... bit it dont mean shit uhntil you prove you can cop it from players just as talented and out to make a name for themselves by getting the "new kid" week after week after week.
I may be incorrect here but he hasn't played QLD cup?!?!!! 400,000!
And what a stupid move by the kid. 3 or 4 more months and if he truly backed himself he would have blitzed the NRL and got that offer off of more stable clubs in the same country. For all the crap from the Broncos the last few years, there are far more promising careers that have died at the warriors then excelled. "But this is different"... Yep.

I'm far more pissed off at the NRL here. What is the point in trying to bring through kids? We are honestly like a development team FOR OTHER CLUBS. There's absolutely no reward for it. Zero. The salary cap makes sure of it.

I was excited about this kid too but promising an 18 year old 400,000 and a starting fullback position is exactly the type of stupid decision that got us into the mess we are in. These KIDS may be the most talented players in the history of the games.... bit it dont mean shit uhntil you prove you can cop it from players just as talented and out to make a name for themselves by getting the "new kid" week after week after week.
I may be incorrect here but he hasn't played QLD cup?!?!!! 400,000!
And what a stupid move by the kid. 3 or 4 more months and if he truly backed himself he would have blitzed the NRL and got that offer off of more stable clubs in the same country. For all the crap from the Broncos the last few years, there are far more promising careers that have died at the warriors then excelled. "But this is different"... Yep.

I'm far more pissed off at the NRL here. What is the point in trying to bring through kids? We are honestly like a development team FOR OTHER CLUBS. There's absolutely no reward for it. Zero. The salary cap makes sure of it.
yea this here hurts the most. the raiders had that huge tiff about this very issue when we poached milf then they seemed to change there approach and started targeting Englishmen. maybe we need to do the same and change our approach. it has worked for them

Article from Badel in the CM saying that Glenn hasn't ruled out playing on next year -
Yay... at least we'll have someone to spend the 75% of cap space we have burning a hole in our pocket

Season 3 Episode 10 GIF by The Simpsons

Last edited:
You do know he's not dead, right? Two years time we can start negotiations then, he probably will have had a gutful of NZud by then!
That's the only silver lining I can see... come back in 3 years and throw the big coin at him... provided Brown hasn't murdered his development by then

That's the only silver lining I can see... come back in 3 years and throw the big coin at him... provided Brown hasn't murdered his development by then
Kevvie will still be in charge, greyer and a winner. The lad will return a man, a tear in his eye as he tells KW, so sorry man, I'll never let you down again...

Brent Read on Triple M was asked to rate the chances of us keeping Staggs, he replied 60-40 leaving

This deal has Brown's hands all over it I think "look, it worked with ponga"... this kid is talented but correct me if I'm wrong here junior watchers but ponga absolutely blitzed it compared to Walsh in the juniors (?) and ponga hasn't always justified his pay some knights fans would argue. And he was far, far further along in his development then Walsh is now...

its hard to pass judgement on what Brisbane should or should not have offered Walsh, as we arent privy to how the remaining cap space is being divided up amoungst the other guys still unsigned..

Make no mistake, we have put ourselves in this position in the first place and our chooks are coming home to roost...

But throwing huge money at unproven talent isnt a new phenomenon and only something that applies to us...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• MrRobot
  • Allo
  • Brocko
  • pennywisealfie
  • Yellowfella
  • Professor47
  • bert_lifts
  • bazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.