Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not comparing the players, but the situation reminds me a lot of Jayden nikorima, I think he got a trial game in and shortly after he had signed with the roosters. There were very big wraps on him as well.

I liked the look of Walsh, but his size worried me a bit, there’s not a lot of him. As good as he may be there’s no guarantees, I remember watching Shannon Walker play thinking he was going to be a superstar, it doesn’t always work out that way.

I’m not comparing the players, but the situation reminds me a lot of Jayden nikorima, I think he got a trial game in and shortly after he had signed with the roosters. There were very big wraps on him as well.

I liked the look of Walsh, but his size worried me a bit, there’s not a lot of him. As good as he may be there’s no guarantees, I remember watching Shannon Walker play thinking he was going to be a superstar, it doesn’t always work out that way.
True, was a similar meltdown to losing him as well, I know this because I was part of the meltdown.

Unfortunately for us it makes every sense.

Warriors clearly have a succession plan in place and when RTS decided to move on they identified the best up and comer for his replacement and went out and got him.

Although we also identified but our salary cap is such a mess we are limited at the minute regardless of what our excuses maybe.

One thing that is for sure and certain is whoever is responsible and in charge of such things at our club should be shown the door with a kick up the arse on the way out.

Trusting Donaghy is sitting in his home office sorting out and going through such things as a matter of urgency.

we have the money to match the Warriors offer ... we made the smart decision not to.

Last edited:
Cya Reece. I've been told he has a shit attitude even if he is talented, and this just proves it.

Chasing the highest bidder before he's accomplished a single thing instead of focussing on cracking first grade next year and then letting his on field form sell him a new deal.

It just reeks of loser attitude. If he stays in Brisbane for an extra year and backs himself to be a star, he'd be an origin shoe in, third party sponsors would line up, and he'd be able to get a way better deal than 450k in 2023 etc.

I'm not ever going to be upset about losing someone who hasn't even starred in the level below NRL.

Last edited:
Sorry he won't be going anywhere. He will see out the year at Norths- unless a replacement was organised.
He would get a better education at Reddy 🤣

Cya Reece. I've been told he has a shit attitude even if he is talented, and this just proves it.

Chasing the highest bidder before he's accomplished a single thing instead of focussing on cracking first grade next year and then letting his on field form sell him a new deal.

It just reeks of loser attitude. If he stays in Brisbane for an extra year and backs himself to be a star, he'd be an origin shoe in, third party sponsors would line up, and he'd be able to get a way better deal than 450k in 2023 etc.

I'm not ever going to be upset about losing someone who hasn't even starred in the level below NRL.
There is an entire forum full of people here who flat out refused to entertain Corey Allan at 400-500k after he'd already played State of Origin plus a couple of seasons of NRL.

If you hold that position on Allan, how could anyone then in all seriousness begrudge Walsh jumping at the chance to take that much money when he hasn't even played Queensland Cup?

So moving forward this is what i would do ... potential top 4 lineup IMO.

Target Scott Drinkwater, Brandon Smith and Kurt Capewell (if we can get him for a fair contract)

Re-Sign Dearden, Coates, Staggs and Milford (600-700k, if he can continue building on his round 1 performance). I'd also like to re-sign Piakura, i don't know too much about him, but i'm sick of seeing us develop players for the rest of the NRL.

I'd use Brandon Smith and Turpin for 40 mins each per match. Smith to start and finish, with Turpin to take the middle 40 mins

Glenn to retire as a 1 club player

now just for @Sproj here's a potential team list

1. Drinkwater
2. Isaako
3. Farnworth
4. Staggs
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden/Croft
8. Pangai
9. Smith
10. Haas
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Asiata

14. Turpin
15. Lodge
16. Flegler
17. Carrigan

I wouldn't be against us either missing out on Capewell and using Bullemor instead;

I'm also not 100% sure about Nui at center yet, but i wouldn't be against Issako as depth, Nui at center and Farnworth on the wing.

If you hold that position on Allan, how could anyone then in all seriousness begrudge Walsh jumping at the chance to take that much money when he hasn't even played Queensland Cup?

I don't think too many people have an issue with Walsh taking the offer necessarily ... we just think it is the smart move from us not to match it; very risky from the Warriors to make it in the first place and Greed from Walsh's manager to convince him to accept it

Target Scott Drinkwater, Brandon Smith and Kurt Capewell (if we can get him for a fair contract)

Re-Sign Dearden, Coates, Staggs and Milford (600-700k, if he can continue building on his round 1 performance). I'd also like to re-sign Piakura, i don't know too much about him, but i'm sick of seeing us develop players for the rest of the NRL.

I'd use Brandon Smith and Turpin for 40 mins each per match. Smith to start and finish, with Turpin to take the middle 40 mins

1. Drinkwater
2. Isaako
3. Farnworth
4. Staggs
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden/Croft
8. Pangai
9. Smith
10. Haas
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Asiata

14. Turpin
15. Lodge
16. Flegler
17. Carrigan

I wouldn't be against us either missing out on Capewell and using Bullemor instead;

I'm also not 100% sure about Nui at center yet, but i wouldn't be against Issako as depth, Nui at center and Farnworth on the wing.
We really should be having a shot at Kurt Mann. With the way we dominate the competition for injured players, a guy like him who can competently play so many positions at a pretty high level makes a lot of sense and he's almost certainly going to be squeezed out of that spine at the Knights.

We really should be having a shot at Kurt Mann. With the way we dominate the competition for injured players, a guy like him who can competently play so many positions at a pretty high level makes a lot of sense and he's almost certainly going to be squeezed out of that spine at the Knights.

wouldn't be against him for a reasonable contract

Really? All accounts I’ve seen/heard say he’s a great kid with a good attitude.

I also am not sure if I agree with you about him being a show in for origin, he’d be behind Ponga and Brimson (and perhaps others) initially, and we only had 1 QLD player this year and they didn’t even see out the series. Also, if Kev really did refuse to budge of the 250k, it would be silly to assume that in the long run he’d make more money at the broncos, the warriors have already thrown a hugely overpriced contract at him, they’ll likely do it again shortly.

wouldn't be against him for a reasonable contract
Doubtful he's going to cost all that much. He isn't the kind of player clubs throw stupid money at generally and that probably works in our favour.

if Kev really did refuse to budge of the 250k, it would be silly to assume that in the long run he’d make more money at the broncos,

I think what that says is that the Kevvie wants players to earn their contracts, rather than be handed them because of potential, which we have a bad habit of doing recently

I’ve only heard good things about him, does a lot of extras after training as well.

1. Drinkwater
2. Isaako
3. Farnworth
4. Staggs
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden/Croft
8. Pangai
9. Smith
10. Haas
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Asiata

14. Turpin
15. Lodge
16. Flegler
17. Carrigan

Did you watch Smith last night?

I think what that says is that the Kevvie wants players to earn their contracts, rather than be handed them because of potential, which we have a bad habit of doing recently
Yeah I’m not disagreeing with Kev’s reasoning, I’m just saying I don’t agree with the posters assumptions that the broncos provide better financial or career opportunities than the deal he just signed at the warriors.

Did you watch Smith last night?

missed most of the game ... but even if he was poor, one poor game does not necessarily make him a bad player, or not worth chasing. although i wouldn't be offering him the 700k+ that has been speculated.

i think 40 minutes each per match would greatly improve the effectiveness of both Turps and Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• vertigo
  • mrslong
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Rah88
  • phoenix
  • Financeguy
  • Waynesaurus
  • mrtij
  • IceWorks
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Harry Sack
  • ChewThePhatt
  • simplythebest
  • Manofoneway
  • Foordy
  • bb_gun
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Brocko
  • Swordfish
  • broncos4life
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.