Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
missed most of the game ... but even if he was poor, one poor game does not necessarily make him a bad player, or not worth chasing. although i wouldn't be offering him the 700k+ that has been speculated.

i think 40 minutes each per match would greatly improve the effectiveness of both Turps and Smith
I think his best position is lock. I think he could do a job there for us for 20mins or so before moving back into lock, but I don’t think he would leave Melbourne to do the same role he has now.

yep got shit on by Mahoney last night. he's a 2RF/lock in a small body, a 80mn hooker he is not.
Pls I hope he goes to the Titans next year.
I’d much prefer Reed tbh. He was a bit quiet last season but he’s off to a huge start this year.

Last edited:
So moving forward this is what i would do ... potential top 4 lineup IMO.

Target Scott Drinkwater, Brandon Smith and Kurt Capewell (if we can get him for a fair contract)

Re-Sign Dearden, Coates, Staggs and Milford (600-700k, if he can continue building on his round 1 performance). I'd also like to re-sign Piakura, i don't know too much about him, but i'm sick of seeing us develop players for the rest of the NRL.

I'd use Brandon Smith and Turpin for 40 mins each per match. Smith to start and finish, with Turpin to take the middle 40 mins

Glenn to retire as a 1 club player

now just for @Sproj here's a potential team list

1. Drinkwater
2. Isaako
3. Farnworth
4. Staggs
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden/Croft
8. Pangai
9. Smith
10. Haas
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Asiata

14. Turpin
15. Lodge
16. Flegler
17. Carrigan

I wouldn't be against us either missing out on Capewell and using Bullemor instead;

I'm also not 100% sure about Nui at center yet, but i wouldn't be against Issako as depth, Nui at center and Farnworth on the wing.

I like the reasoning and you know I love a list, especially a good one which this is.

I'd be going for Manu instead of Drinkwater OR push Staggs to fullback for a season and see what he's got.

I’d much prefer Reed tbh. He was a bit quiet last season but he’s off to a huge start this year.
I read somewhere that there were murmurs about the eels shopping him around. Perhaps just putting a rocket under him.

His got a good understanding with Paulo which is key.
2nd week in a row, that combo has got the job done.

we have the money to match the Warriors offer ... we made the smart decision not to.
With all due respect you don’t know that.

We have a need to re-establish out team and any money under the cap has to go there first I would imagine.

So we simply don't have the money to match their offer. Remember what appears to be overs to us does not necessarily mean overs to them.
They are losing RTS and his money will more than cover Walch and a couple more to boot.

We have a need to re-establish out team and any money under the cap has to go there first I would imagine.

So we simply don't have the money to match their offer. Remember what appears to be overs to us does not necessarily mean overs to them.
They are losing RTS and his money will more than cover Walch and a couple more to boot.
It's still overs, overs are more than the player is worth and has nothing to do with how much spare they have after signing him.

That's like going to a bakery and they want 50 bucks for a sausage roll and you look in your wallet and see you have 100 bucks and going "bargain!"

Last edited:
Yeah, Kev has really put the pressure on himself if what 1910 has said is true. He let a very promising player who he saw as good enough to promise the fullback jumper to leave. If Walsh is tearing it up at the Warriors next season and we’re still languishing toward the bottom 4, he’s going to look pretty incompetent. I really hope he has a good plan b.
I think what you meant here was the CEO, the Head of Performance AND Kevie have put pressure on themselves.

If you're going to commit to a player like Walsh and make them your starting fullback for next year than you've got to be prepared to pay them fullback wages. If the reports are true and Kev thought that was $250,000 then he may have been taught a very painful lesson.

I agree that it's ridiculous and something like this shouldn't have happened. Brisbane should have had the opportunity to see how Walsh handles a full season of professional football and how he fits in with the squad. Instead they're held over a barrel before his season has even started and they miss out because they have other priorities.
KWs actually not particularly good mathematically speaking. It's the CEO and the Head of Performance who declare how much cash is floating around. KW has little idea what the guys are paid and didn't want to know, it's not his job. He simply says who he wants, both internal and externally. Others decide what cash is available.

There is an entire forum full of people here who flat out refused to entertain Corey Allan at 400-500k after he'd already played State of Origin plus a couple of seasons of NRL.

If you hold that position on Allan, how could anyone then in all seriousness begrudge Walsh jumping at the chance to take that much money when he hasn't even played Queensland Cup?
This.

He may as well take it, there's no incentive to stick around at the Broncos anymore and we only give big pay days to big slow plodders like Flegler, Lodge, Ofa and Milford.

For sure our salary cap is a mess but even if it wasn't we shouldn't have signed him for that amount. This shows me that we are heading in the right direction because it would have been peak Broncos to do a heap of work to clean up our salary cap only to pay massive overs for an untested kid and **** it all up again.
Yes I can’t agree more but my point was more the fact Warriors are in a position of reacting to losing their best by poaching a player with a similar potential.

Paying overs isn’t a problem for those clubs who clearly have room in their cap to do so.

Can't wait for the day we return to a bit of professionalism and our young guns won't be such easy marks.

missed most of the game ... but even if he was poor, one poor game does not necessarily make him a bad player, or not worth chasing. although i wouldn't be offering him the 700k+ that has been speculated.

i think 40 minutes each per match would greatly improve the effectiveness of both Turps and Smith
I'd still like to wait and see later in the season to see where he is at.

I absolutely know that.

for us it wasn't about how much cash we had to spend ... it was about how much we were prepared to spend on a rookie who hasn't even played a game of ISC yet ... we determined that 500k was to much for such a player.

we could almost get that 500k to match the Warriors simply because we no longer have to pay Bird. we also get 600k back for not having to pay Macca. and that's just for starters.

it has been widely reported we will have some cash to splash for 2022 ... which is why player managers are trying to squeeze us dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Astro
  • mrtij
  • RolledOates
  • vertigo
  • Harry Sack
  • xilliun
  • Pigskin
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Bronx48
  • Manofoneway
  • I bleed Maroon
  • NSW stables
  • Swordfish
  • Financeguy
  • Jedhead
  • mrslong
  • Johnny92
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Brocko
... and 27 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.