Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what you meant here was the CEO, the Head of Performance AND Kevie have put pressure on themselves.
Well yea, I guess everyone who had any involvement in this player leaving and who’s job is dependent on results would have essentially put extra pressure on themselves but I specified Kev because I was referring to the 1910 comment that “Kev wouldn’t budge on $250k”

Well yea, I guess everyone who had any involvement in this player leaving and who’s job is dependent on results would have essentially put extra pressure on themselves but I specified Kev because I was referring to the 1910 comment that “Kev wouldn’t budge on $250k”
Fair nuff but 1910 has limited information too! He clearly knows a bit more than most but it's not like he sits in on meetings!!!!
KW thinks like quite a few rational posters on this forum. He wasn't bending over and I believe he follows old WBs reasoning. I'm pretty sure KW would think 250k was about 100k too much but was prepared to agree with everyone that for a talent like this kid he'd agree with STRETCHING all the way to 250k.

The club's doing the right thing, they're not establishing a reputation as a ATM. We won't talking about this kid when we start winning.

This.

He may as well take it, there's no incentive to stick around at the Broncos anymore and we only give big pay days to big slow plodders like Flegler, Lodge, Ofa and Milford.
Milford is neither slow nor a plodder

Sounds awfully familiar to me too.
Yeah I looked it up. His old man hates us and when he couldn’t crack it into our junior development (another misstep it seems) he cracked the shits and held it against us

Yeah I looked it up. His old man hates us and when he couldn’t crack it into our junior development (another misstep it seems) he cracked the shits and held it against us
I'm not surprised his father couldn't crack it into our junior development , he was 37 at the time. 😉

I really have mixed feelings on the whole Reece Walsh saga.
I've only seen the one trial of him so i can't base much of an opinion on that.
A lot of guys who have watched him quite a bit seem to have a high opinion of him so in that respect i think it's sad he's on the way out.
Having said that ,the money he's apparently signed for with the Warriors seems to be a bit more than I'd be comfortable with so with that risk in mind i wish him the best and don't let the door slam your ass on the way out.
I think I'd prefer to go after Manu or maybe look at Nico Hynes from the Storm who seems to have plenty to offer with size and skill
Just my thoughts.

Fair nuff but 1910 has limited information too! He clearly knows a bit more than most but it's not like he sits in on meetings!!!!
KW thinks like quite a few rational posters on this forum. He wasn't bending over and I believe he follows old WBs reasoning. I'm pretty sure KW would think 250k was about 100k too much but was prepared to agree with everyone that for a talent like this kid he'd agree with STRETCHING all the way to 250k.

The club's doing the right thing, they're not establishing a reputation as a ATM. We won't talking about this kid when we start winning.
Points out that everyone has limited information, even those with insider knowledge then in the same posts makes wild assumptions about Kev’s thought process.

You're assuming he is going to play 25 games of quality fullback- that's probably not going to be the case. You might get six out of him next year.

I don't think you can pay just by the position no matter who is there- Roosters didn't pay Sam- Cronk money they paid him go play for Norths and we will see money.

Which is exactly what Kevvie was doing.
I'm just going off the reports you and Garry laid out.

If the plan was for him to be the NRL fullback for 2022 then you have to be prepared to pay him base NRL fullback money which I would suggest is around that $400,000.

Sam Walker is exactly what I was talking about when I was referring to those 18-21 reserve numbers. Walker is on the type of deal Walters just offered Walsh, except Walker was two years younger when he signed that deal. They had a fair idea of what they had and they were willing to invest more money to lure him to their system. Now that he's off contract, I expect them to double that deal which would still be less than half what Cooper Cronk was on.

If the report is true and Kevie thought he had a prodigy on his hands that he was willing to trust enough to make him the starting player on one of the most important positions on the field then he's got to expect to pay more than $250,000.

to add to the BHQ meltdown, Badel is reporting that Piakura is close to finalising his future with the Bulldogs upping the ante with a big money offer. Badel says that if money is the decisive factor he is gone as the Bulldogs have the most attractive offer.

Corey Parker on Piakura

“I’ve watched Brendan for some time and he is outstanding,” said 347-game Broncos legend Parker.

“In my mind Piakura is physically ready for the NRL now and he would be the perfect replacement for Alex Glenn in the back row next season.

“I really hope the Broncos can keep him because he is a brilliant back-row talent.

“I can see why the Bulldogs would be going hard for him ... there’s no doubt for me that he is NRL quality.”

“Brendan has all the skills,” he said.

“Piakura is a different style of back-rower to David Fifita (ex-Bronco who defected to the Titans this season) ... he is a damaging ball-runner but I also like the fact he has mongrel in defence.

“He is a quietly-spoken sort of kid but he has a great attitude, I’m not surprised clubs are lining up to sign him.”

Last edited:
to add to the BHQ meltdown, Badel is reporting that Piakura is close to finalising his future with the Bulldogs upping the ante with a big money offer. Badel says that if money is the decisive factor he is gone as the Bulldogs have the most attractive offer

This isn't new though, its been in the pipeline for a while. I think most people just want to know how these clubs that have spent big still have more money to spend on unproven marquee signings and why it is only us that cop it.

to add to the BHQ meltdown, Badel is reporting that Piakura is close to finalising his future with the Bulldogs upping the ante with a big money offer. Badel says that if money is the decisive factor he is gone as the Bulldogs have the most attractive offer.

Corey Parker on Piakura

“I’ve watched Brendan for some time and he is outstanding,” said 347-game Broncos legend Parker.

“In my mind Piakura is physically ready for the NRL now and he would be the perfect replacement for Alex Glenn in the back row next season.

“I really hope the Broncos can keep him because he is a brilliant back-row talent.

“I can see why the Bulldogs would be going hard for him ... there’s no doubt for me that he is NRL quality.”

“Brendan has all the skills,” he said.

“Piakura is a different style of back-rower to David Fifita (ex-Bronco who defected to the Titans this season) ... he is a damaging ball-runner but I also like the fact he has mongrel in defence.

“He is a quietly-spoken sort of kid but he has a great attitude, I’m not surprised clubs are lining up to sign him.”
How predictable! Zzzzzz

He has reported nothing new, he’s just leeching onto the Walsh announcement.

This isn't new though, its been in the pipeline for a while. I think most people just want to know how these clubs that have spent big still have more money to spend on unproven marquee signings and why it is only us that cop it.

either the other clubs have decided that we have the best development pipeline in the game ... or the incessant media coverage of our developmental players keeps them in the spotlight ... possibly a combination of the two.

I think nicho hynes would be a good pick up:
- is available for 2022,
- is a bigger body and pretty quick.
-good support player.
- grew up playing in the halves so has a good passing a kicking game.
-has had good ISC experience at fullback
-worked with slater
-stuck behind papenhuyzen
-could be picked up in a reasonable price.

If we dont get brandon smith, i really dont mind picking up billy walters as a 14. He will allow turpin to play high intensity and then come on and ensure that the dummy half service and centre of the field defence doesnt go to shit. He may not be quick but he brings a mature head to the team and has shown more than paix or luke recently.

Last edited:
I think nicho hynes would be a good pick up:
- is available for 2022,
- is a bigger body and pretty quick.
-good support player.
- grew up playing in the halves so has a good passing a kicking game.
-has had good ISC experience at fullback
-worked with slater
-stuck behind papenhuyzen
-could be pucked up in a reasonable price.

If we dont get brandon smith, i really dont mind picking up billy walters as a 14. He will allow turpin to play high intensity and then come on and ensure that the dummy half service and centre of the field defence doesnt go to shit. He may not be quick but he brings a mature head to the team and has shown more than paix or luke recently.

The benefit of Hynes is he shouldn't cost a fortune.

I’m not comparing the players, but the situation reminds me a lot of Jayden nikorima, I think he got a trial game in and shortly after he had signed with the roosters. There were very big wraps on him as well.

I liked the look of Walsh, but his size worried me a bit, there’s not a lot of him. As good as he may be there’s no guarantees, I remember watching Shannon Walker play thinking he was going to be a superstar, it doesn’t always work out that way.
It was mid-season after a junior rep game in which he suffered a season ending injury. I was less upset about the Broncos losing him as I was about him going to Sydney when they had so many halves that he was going to get lost in their season. Sure enough the first vision of Jayden in Sydney is the Mitchell Pearce dog video and it just went down-hill from there.

I believe they offered something like $350,000 which would be around the same money Walsh was just offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Shane Tronc
  • Sproj
  • vertigo
  • jd87
  • bert_lifts
  • Skyblues87
  • Justwin
  • winslow_wong
  • simplythebest
  • Manofoneway
  • The True King
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Johnny92
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncosgirl
  • Waynesaurus
  • lynx000
  • trugo bronco
  • HarryAllan7
... and 32 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.