Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect you don’t know that.

We have a need to re-establish out team and any money under the cap has to go there first I would imagine.

So we simply don't have the money to match their offer. Remember what appears to be overs to us does not necessarily mean overs to them.
They are losing RTS and his money will more than cover Walch and a couple more to boot.
Broncos have the money.

You watch us give Staggs 800k a year, Riki 600k a year and Coates 600k a year.
I hope the club proves me wrong, but wtf is going on.
Unless we are paying 70% of Bird, Offa's and Macca's current contracts, I have no idea where this money is going. Sure we are paying some blokes big $ but still, things are not adding up.
Chuck into it that Milford and Glenn are both potentially off the books all together next year($1.5m) and we prepared to pay 800k for Fifita, Boyd is also off the books - where on earth is all this money going? And who on earth are we going to sign for 2022.
The club probably included Seibold's payout as a cap payment. And yes, it does sound like something this club would do.

It's very alarming stuff.

Last edited:
I'm just going off the reports you and Garry laid out.

If the plan was for him to be the NRL fullback for 2022 then you have to be prepared to pay him base NRL fullback money which I would suggest is around that $400,000.

Sam Walker is exactly what I was talking about when I was referring to those 18-21 reserve numbers. Walker is on the type of deal Walters just offered Walsh, except Walker was two years younger when he signed that deal. They had a fair idea of what they had and they were willing to invest more money to lure him to their system. Now that he's off contract, I expect them to double that deal which would still be less than half what Cooper Cronk was on.

If the report is true and Kevie thought he had a prodigy on his hands that he was willing to trust enough to make him the starting player on one of the most important positions on the field then he's got to expect to pay more than $250,000.
I covered this a little while back in relation to Allan and people calling him too expensive, but basically breaking each club down the conclusion was that aside from Isaako himself, Corey Allan would be the cheapest current NRL Fullback getting around based on current value in the market place and that is somewhere between 400-500k so I think you're about spot on in terms of the minimum price for an NRL Fullback.

There are one or two clubs like Cronulla and the Tigers where the guy actually playing Fullback is on around that money or a little less, but they both still have a guy on their books (Dugan & Moylan for Cronulla and Mbye for the Tigers) who was recruited to play Fullback and is commanding their premium Fullback dollars, so the logic still stands that you aren't getting an NRL standard Fullback for less than $400-500k.

Last edited:
You watch us give Staggs 800k a year, Riki 600k a year and Coates 600k a year.
I hope the club proves me wrong, but wtf is going on.
Unless we are paying 70% of Bird, Offa's and Macca's current contracts, I have no idea where this money is going. Sure we are paying some blokes big $ but still, things are not adding up.
Chuck into it that Milford and Glenn are both potentially off the books all together next year and we apparently had 800k to give to Fifita, where on earth is this money going? And who on earth are we going to sign for 2022.
It's very alarming stuff.

I don't think it's alarming. Maybe the club have more in the bank than people think and are just waiting to see how the year goes.

I hope it’s not to make sure we have the cash to throw at players begging them to stay if we have a bad season and the off-contracts start wanting out

Dobbo has praised Kevvie in not signing Walsh as he is yet to play an NRL or Q cup game.
Says the Warriors gave him 300k p/yr and the Broncos were not prepared to match that.
He went on to say that one of the main factors behind not giving Walsh his 300k is because that money will go to Staggs as he is “a proven superstar”.
If the above is actually true, why hasn’t Staggs signed?
This has the Fifita saga feeling about it..

Dobbo has praised Kevvie in not signing Walsh as he is yet to play an NRL or Q cup game.
Says the Warriors gave him 300k p/yr and the Broncos were not prepared to match that.
He went on to say that one of the main factors behind not giving Walsh his 300k is because that money will go to Staggs as he is “a proven superstar”.
If the above is actually true, why hasn’t Staggs signed?
This has the Fifita saga feeling about it..

the media are just guessing in the space of 24 hours the figure has spanned anywhere from 300k to 600k a year.

if it is one of the rare occasions dobbo is actually right then it seems he left for an extra 50k to head to the Warriors ... which is quite simply mercenary behaviour

Last edited:
Bah, whats a contract worth anyway in the NRL thses days..

Reckon its easy to get a player you need who is under contract these days the way player managers simply watch which clubs free up the most space...

We shouldnt simply look at the FA list for players is what im saying.

Bulldogs turning into another Saint George at the moment; what emotional ties does Piakura have to them? What makes him want to break his back to please those supporters? Its about money thats all...

Saints are a mess; you dont move McInnes on for football reasons, but if you screw your cap then you HAVE to move him for money. Thats not how to build a successful roster. Obviously he then gets ruled out for the year but you get my point...

Short term pain for long term gain; we have a lot of unwinding to do thanks to years of retention mismanagement.

Thats going to cost us players unfortunately, including ones we would rather have...

Peter Nolans main accomplishment is keeping Peter Nolan in a job.....its quite remarkable actually...

I covered this a little while back in relation to Allan and people calling him too expensive, but basically breaking each club down the conclusion was that aside from Isaako himself, Corey Allan would be the cheapest current NRL Fullback getting around based on current value in the market place and that is somewhere between 400-500k so I think you're about spot on in terms of the minimum price for an NRL Fullback.

There are one or two clubs like Cronulla and the Tigers where the guy actually playing Fullback is on around that money or a little less, but they both still have a guy on their books (Dugan & Moylan for Cronulla and Mbye for the Tigers) who was recruited to play Fullback and is commanding their premium Fullback dollars, so the logic still stands that you aren't getting an NRL standard Fullback for less than $400-500k.
Exactly.

I don't blame Walters if he didn't view Walsh as an NRL fullback. However if the plan was to play a $250,000 than they were setting themselves up for failure. The Warriors have put their money where their mouth is and while there is a hint of desperation at least they value the talent and the position enough to make it happen.

Exactly.

I don't blame Walters if he didn't view Walsh as an NRL fullback. However if the plan was to play a $250,000 than they were setting themselves up for failure. The Warriors have put their money where their mouth is and while there is a hint of desperation at least they value the talent and the position enough to make it happen.
Agreed. It will al be forgiven (or at least understood) if Walters has a strong plan B but if he saw Walsh as the clubs future 1 as early as next season, he has learned a valuable lesson about stubbornness

So moving forward this is what i would do ... potential top 4 lineup IMO.

Target Scott Drinkwater, Brandon Smith and Kurt Capewell (if we can get him for a fair contract)
It would be nice if we didn't have to target players from other clubs. Especially in light of squealing like stuck pigs about other teams doing the same to us.

Apparently, a player swap is also on the table with the Warriors wanting Walsh now. Might as well offload him asap rather than a waste another cent on training him to play for someone else.

Last edited:
the media are just guess in the space of 24 hours the figure has spanned anywhere from 300k to 600k a year.

if it is one of the rare occasions dobbo is actually right then it seems he left for an extra 50k to head to the Warriors ... which is quite simply mercenary behaviour
If he left for only an extra 50k he is nuts. Being away from family and having to set up a place from scratch would take most of that up straight away.
Would have thought the Broncs could have sold it to him that he wouldn't be any better off with just an extra 50k.
Off course it could have been a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• lynx000
  • Bucking Beads
  • Behind enemy lines
  • jd87
  • Justwin
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • Fatboy
  • jarro65
  • winslow_wong
  • Emanon
  • Dexter
  • Pigskin
  • Wild Horse
  • bert_lifts
  • trugo bronco
  • Aldo
  • Waynesaurus
  • simplythebest
... and 33 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.