Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
notice it's not clubs like the Roosters or Storm who are offering these Kids deals like this ... it is the clubs that have been anchored to the bottom of the table for a long time
Roosters threw $350K at Nikorima and a shit load at suali ??

All the better to find out how talented Isaako really is without the stench of Boyd and Seibold hanging over him. A mistake free game 1 and now 24 rounds to go to really show his wares at the back. WB had faith and gave him his debut, a Dally M via his boot and was groomed to take over before family tragedy messed up his confidence/trajectory.
I don't get all this shit that he's the worst...it's just certain posters being outright dismissive without having an objective eye regarding his performances.
He's primed for a big one tonight, his boot will get us home for our first victory in a while.
GO ISAAKO!!

Been saying the same thing for years about Isaako. He is exactly the same footballer i saw for Souths in 2017. Capable of a good running game, no kind of passing game or creativity at all and a good goal kicker. He has barely developed his game in 4 years. He will be 25 this year and the only way he will get all year in the fullback position without him developing his game is if we have no other viable option ( which is pretty likely ). At the moment, i stand by the opinion i have had of him for years, he is just a goal kicking Josh Hoffman and i dont believe he is good enough at fullback without him developing his passing game.

I think we are in for a fair bit of pain over the next year or so. Piakura will leave, Walsh gone, Staggs i dont think will stay either as well as Dearden. Wouldnt surprise me if we managed to lose Riki as well.

I think its time we took a leaf out of the Storms recruitment playbook. Get in a combination of some players hungry to make it in the NRL from ISC ( in both States ) and some solid NRL players who just roll their sleeves up and do their jobs. then you can try to get in 3 or 4 players of real quality. We have taken our eye off the ball and we are paying for it.

I think we are in for a fair bit of pain over the next year or so. Piakura will leave, Walsh gone, Staggs i dont think will stay either as well as Dearden. Wouldnt surprise me if we managed to lose Riki as well.

I think its time we took a leaf out of the Storms recruitment playbook. Get in a combination of some players hungry to make it in the NRL from ISC ( in both States ) and some solid NRL players who just roll their sleeves up and do their jobs. then you can try to get in 3 or 4 players of real quality. We have taken our eye off the ball and we are paying for it.
**** that’s grim

Didn't the Storm start their road to domination by getting a solid spine and building off that? Dearden and walsh could have been that , it's really hard to see what plan is in place atm

I feel Piakura is all but gone and we will only lose one of either dearden or staggs.

I personally hope its staggs if we had a choice

nothing against him but I much rather keep dearden then playing overs for staggs who might be the worse defensive centre in the game plus we dont even know how he will come back from his injury.

Last edited:
Didn't the Storm start their road to domination by getting a solid spine and building off that? Dearden and walsh could have been that , it's really hard to see what plan is in place atm
For whatever reason Smith, slater Cronk etc didn’t get offered bazillion dollar contracts as a teenager though.
We’re doing the correct thing in not getting bent over a barrel by these kids

Fairly sure they werent all kids though, but i'm struggling to remember their full side. Can sertainly remember Smith playing, but i can remember the likes of Kidwell, Kearns, Bai, Geyer, Hill, Bell and Kearney playing for them. Orford and Hill were their halves iirc. Slater was in there as well, but he wasnt exclusively a fullback. They were a lot better balanced as a squad than we were. Thats where i feel we are out of step, we just dont have much NRL nous in the squad.

They don’t want to leave and the club has cap space to make them fair offers, for the inexperienced guys if the club are unconvinced of their ability hopefully common sense prevails and they can sort out 12 month extensions. I think Riki, Dearden & Coates stay. Staggs is 50/50. Piakura gone. The club can’t afford to be too pig headed about it.

For whatever reason Smith, slater Cronk etc didn’t get offered bazillion dollar contracts as a teenager though.

That is a big difference. The money now is stupid for these kids.

Chin up Wolfie, it's not gonna be that grim mate. I guarantee you that Staggs and Riki will not be going anywhere. The others you mention, who knows. But we won't be losing Kotoni and Jordan, trust me.

Walsh, he may turn out to be a superstar, and he may turn out to be shit. But Kevvie did the right thing by not caving in to these self-entitled twats thinking they are all that. He has drawn a line in the sand as far as future contracts go and it will soon sort out which players really want to be here and put their hearts and bodies on the line for the club by accepting less cash initially. Espcially when they are all of 18 and haven't played a single bloody first grade game yet, aka Walsh.

They don’t want to leave and the club has cap space to make them fair offers, for the inexperienced guys if the club are unconvinced of their ability hopefully common sense prevails and they can sort out 12 month extensions. I think Riki, Dearden & Coates stay. Staggs is 50/50. Piakura gone. The club can’t afford to be too pig headed about it.

I'm still not convinced they do want to stay tbh despite what they say in the press.

When you look at the players who could be available for us as it stands for next year who would be good value ( not looking at signing all btw ), i'd be looking at Rudolf, Hynes, Drinkwater, Capewell, Opacic, Sua, Liu, and Lui. Depending on the size of his contract Will Hopoate would be a decent pickup on a short contract. We also probably need to wheel and deal with some clubs to bring in others as well.

Chin up Wolfie, it's not gonna be that grim mate. I guarantee you that Staggs and Riki will not be going anywhere. The others you mention, who knows. But we won't be losing Kotoni and Jordan, trust me.

Walsh, he may turn out to be a superstar, and he may turn out to be shit. But Kevvie did the right thing by not caving in to these self-entitled twats thinking they are all that. He has drawn a line in the sand as far as future contracts go and it will soon sort out which players really want to be here and put their hearts and bodies on the line for the club by accepting less cash initially. Espcially when they are all of 18 and haven't played a single bloody first grade game yet, aka Walsh.

Riki i'm reasonably confident about, not so much Kotoni. He's spoken to the Eels now on numerous occasions. Hopefully it changes, but i think he has one foot out the door already.

Welcome to the norm , if you think it's gonna change then you're dreaming.
Gone are the days these Kids are going to wait for their pay day , especially when when you have no pull examples bulldogs, titans, warriors and soon to be alot more clubs . **** even the roosters have shelled out for a 17 yr old

Riki i'm reasonably confident about, not so much Kotoni. He's spoken to the Eels now on numerous occasions. Hopefully it changes, but i think he has one foot out the door already.
I don’t think he wants to go to Sydney. Titans would be biggest threat imo.

I'm still not convinced they do want to stay tbh despite what they say in the press.

When you look at the players who could be available for us as it stands for next year who would be good value ( not looking at signing all btw ), i'd be looking at Rudolf, Hynes, Drinkwater, Capewell, Opacic, Sua, Liu, and Lui. Depending on the size of his contract Will Hopoate would be a decent pickup on a short contract. We also probably need to wheel and deal with some clubs to bring in others as well.
That sounds an awful lot like 2008 I think when Bennett signed a bunch of journeyman like Clinton, sims & pj marsh. I don’t think we are quite that desperate just yet. We need to go to market for a couple of experienced players.

Last edited:
That sounds an awful lot like 2008 I think when Bennett signed a bunch of journeyman like Clinton, sims & pj marsh. I don’t think we are quite that desperate just yet. We need to go to market for a couple of experienced players.

I think we need those solid NRL players. Look at our current squad. Its all either young blokes or players at the end of their careers who dont offer much. Blokes like Rudolf, Capewell, Drinkwater and Liu would improve us no end. I dont see any of them like Marsh, Clinto or Sims. We are really desperate for some low maintenance players who just do their jobs.

Last edited:
It is more just frustrating than anything else. The management has screwed over the club for probably the last half decade. Now we finally look to be turning it around, we come up against a new club coming in and just absolutely ridiculous offers coming in for our kids for literally no reason other than other clubs being as desperate as we are but us rightly not trying to match these totally stupid offers.

I don't know what the answer is other than threatening to pull out of development and getting grubby by going off the high ground and cheating on and off the field. What a gloomy time to be a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• TimWhatley
  • Tristan1990
  • Astro
  • jarro65
  • Broncosgirl
  • bb_gun
  • Skathen
  • Big Del
  • Bucking Beads
  • NSW stables
  • pennywisealfie
  • davidp
  • Stix
  • broncoscope
  • bert_lifts
  • Bronx48
  • Culhwch
  • BRC088
  • Hoshsie
  • Ghost of Vlansys
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.