Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that’s the problem. It’s one thing to make him a priority signing but we don’t know what he is, he is all potential so it needs to be balanced. As I said identify your priorities and make them sensible offers but if they leave they leave. Paying half a mil for potential is why we are here.
I understand what you're saying but walsh should have been the priority and he was identified as one , but we didn't even try .
1910 has said kevie offered the $250k and wouldn't budge, at least up your offer without going overboard . Let the others walk but **** , when you have plans for a spine player you sometimes have to take a gamble. It's because of prior **** ups that have led to him getting low balled but isn't it better to do it to someone like piakura who isn't in a position we are lacking.

Dufty- Would provided some much needed pace and spark. Capable of long range tries, off contract as well and Ramsay seems to be earmarked as the dragons future #1.

Hynes- Too good to be stuck on Melbourne’s interchange/ Q-Cup.
Stuck behind Papenhauzen, Munster and Hughes-also off contract.

Braidon Burns- Pretty classy centre, currently injured at the moment and off contract. Stuck behind a strong South’s backline atm.

Hoy- Won’t get the Newcastle #1 any time soon but still unproven.

Give Reece Walsh to the Warriors right now in exchange for Paul Turner.

Thanks for your input. My point is we are a rich club and we need to start throwing that money at worthwhile people. I think Bennett would be a great recruiter and it seems like something he’s passionate about. The NRL are constantly bringing in rules to hinder us, but **** them. Spend the damn money to be the Broncos again

Fair point about getting good people in but it's pretty obvious that Bennett wants to be a head coach until he is dead?

Fair point about getting good people in but it's pretty obvious that Bennett wants to be a head coach until he is dead?
That’s true, but I also feel like he’s passionate about recruitment, creating strong rapports with young players and making them good people. I feel it’s a job we could sell to him and he’d be great at it

I remember saying to a mate that we should give Maloney whatever he wants when Penrith showed him the door and he laughed at me.

I would honestly do anything for a half that actually has leadership right now. Imagine if we had the option of Dearden 7 with Benji 6

As far as I am concerned we need Harry Grant before anyone else, or another hooker, or leader/organiser similarly capable, because without that fixed point, that organising principle in the middle, we are middle of the road no matter who else we sign.

As far as I am concerned we need Harry Grant before anyone else, or another hooker, or leader/organiser similarly capable, because without that fixed point, that organising principle in the middle, we are middle of the road no matter who else we sign.
Problem is that there are probably 13-14 other clubs thinking the exact same thing that can offer competitive money. Are we more appealing as an option right now than any of those?

Problem is that there are probably 13-14 other clubs thinking the exact same thing that can offer competitive money. Are we more appealing as an option right now than any of those?

Good question. Starting to win more than we lose would be a good starting point.

Throw the cheque book at him and the captaincy. In fact I’d be offering captaincy to any top tiered player we go after.

I’d throw $1.5m at Munster when we officially can.
He is what we need.
1. Mead/Herbie/Staggs?
6. Munster
7. Dearden
9. Turpin
Exactly no one in the current squad deserves marquee money so we need to throw the cheque book at either Munster, Ponga or Harry for 2023

Qld'ers in key spine positions that automatically boost our reputation

Last edited:
I’d love to have Bennett come back in a Cyril Connell-type role. Get Bellamy in as the coaching director, Bennett head of recruitment, Walters as coach, Matterson and Cartwright as assistants Donaghy as CEO and have the ex-players at training every week helping out. Imagine the culture that would create. We have money to spend.

To be honest I can't see Bennett ever driving around the state eating pies and going from school to school and carnivals.

To be honest I can't see Bennett ever driving around the state eating pies and going from school to school and carnivals.
I don't think anyone can.

Wouldn't be hard for him to open his emails and watch a video compilation of a player a junior staff has done though then go out there if the Broncos are competing for his signature to get them over the line. I doubt anyone would expect him to be a "traditional" scout, more like a figurehead and a sounding board.

Having said all this, we either get Bennett or bellamy. It'd be nice if we used our money and power to get both but we won't, and they won't work together unless it was ridiculous fifita-like overs

Not himself but he could organize people he trusts to do it.

Do you think Wayne will ever come back - even for functions and what not in the future?

Not himself but he could organize people he trusts to do it.

Do you think Wayne will ever come back - even for functions and what not in the future?
why would he ever come back? we've shafted him twice.

why would he ever come back? we've shafted him twice.

Hopefully because he still loves the club in some capacity and wants to come back when the muppets running the place are all moved on. It's not likely but I hope he does. Big anniversary coming up next year.

I don't think anyone can.

Wouldn't be hard for him to open his emails and watch a video compilation of a player a junior staff has done though then go out there if the Broncos are competing for his signature to get them over the line. I doubt anyone would expect him to be a "traditional" scout, more like a figurehead and a sounding board.

Having said all this, we either get Bennett or bellamy. It'd be nice if we used our money and power to get both but we won't, and they won't work together unless it was ridiculous fifita-like overs

Cyril was doing it until he couldn't physically drive anymore that's what made him so good, he was on the ground and everyone knew Mr Connell.

Bennett could only achieve the same thing if he was on the ground. He'd be great at it but I doubt very much it would be enough to fulfil him and sitting in an office watching video wouldn't either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Tristan1990
  • eggstar10
  • mitch222
  • davidp
  • Harry Sack
  • Stix
  • Jason Simmons
  • Bucking Beads
  • maddo
  • Dexter
  • Mr Fourex
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Johnny92
  • Galah
  • Xzei
  • Swordfish
  • Dash
  • Santa
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.