Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the teams that over invest in their forwards have done poorly.

Broncos, Cowboys, Titans, Dragons, Bulldogs have all had several big name, expensive forwards over the past few years. No surprise they have been the bottom performing teams.

Then when you have a look at the better performing teams, the vast majority of their cap is on two or three people in their spine, storm, roosters, Rabbitohs etc.

You want maybe 1 game breaking forward. The rest just need to be solid and feed off that big name forward. Like the storm did with Jesse Bromwich. Got younger guys that wanted to he in a pack with him and they have gone on to do well. Same thing roosters did with JWH, and what we had done previously with Webcke/Petro etc.
Roosters paid Angus $1m, and they must be paying club, NSW, and Australian captain Boyd Cordner pretty decent coin too. Not to mention Sonny’s stints.

Crichton at Penrith is stalling on a (i believe) 3 year $1.5 mil contract with Panthers.

So how that works out for him will probably set the bar for what Staggs thinks he can get also...be it here or anywhere else.

Id be happy to pay Staggs as the best paid centre in the game...once he proves it...which wont be for a while...

Sucks for him to be injured and all, but thats football. When your bodys your currency cant get upset when a club wants you for 70 cents in the dollar..

Previous great Brisbane sides had the majority of their cap invested in the backline.....we are the opposite to some degree...

Be interested to see how this plays out for 2 of the best young centres out there...
If you don’t think Staggs is worth 500k a year than I don’t know what’s on in your head

Of course but it still disproves his point. Also I’d say outside of Munster, the storm would have one of the cheapest back lines in the comp.

Paps, Addo-Carr and Vunivalu would have all been on quite a bit or will be moving forward anyway.

If you don’t think Staggs is worth 500k a year than I don’t know what’s on in your head
I must be out of it then 😆

I think potentially he is worth it, and possibly more, but i still think he has a fair bit to work on. He lives of his highlight reel a fair bit imo. He is on a par with quite a few of the better centers, but he hasnt gone up to that next level with the rest of his game. Tbh, outside of Joey Manu i dont think there are many real elite centers going around. Says a lot really when Morris is still up there with the best right now.

Last edited:
For 500k he wants to learn to use his shoulders!! Plenty running around for that marks in wingers/centre/back row that dont leak points. He also needs to be able to control his winger.

I must be out of it then 😆

I think potentially he is worth it, and possibly more, but i still think he has a fair bit to work on. He lives of his highlight reel a fair bit imo. He is on a par with quite a few of the better centers, but he hasnt gone up to that next level with the rest of his game. Tbh, outside of Joey Manu i dont think there are many real elite centers going around. Says a lot really when Morris is still up there with the best right now.
It’s all relative. I rate Staggs way higher than Oates, Macca, Flegler, Offa, probably more than Milf and Lodge. All these players are on more than 500k.

I’d happily say goodbye to one or two of any of these players if it means we can give Staggs 500k.

but it’s the same old song, 500k for Staggs is somewhat of a risk but one you’d be willing to take, except our cap is so cooked that a 500k risk is too damaging because we have so much of our cap tied up in other bad investments. If we had a healthy cap a 500k punt on Staggs would be very reasonable

Last edited:
It’s all relative. I rate Staggs way higher than Oates, Macca, Flegler, Offa, probably more than Milf and Lodge. All these players are on more than 500k.

I’d happily say goodbye to one or two of any of these players if it means we can give Staggs 500k.

but it’s the same old song, 500k for Staggs is somewhat of a risk but one you’d be willing to take, except our cap is so cooked that a 500k risk is too damaging because we have so much of our cap tied up in other bad investments. If we had a healthy cap a 500k punt on Staggs would be very reasonable

I do think its time we made some of these players earn their contracts rather than hold us to ransom by threatening to go elsewhere to get them.

If staggs wants to shop himself around I say let him go. Amazing attacking weapon, our best, but he had his best year yet and we finished.... stone motherless last.
What have we got to lose? Lol....
Defence and playing as a team are 2 attributes that we should value far more then attacking ability to get us off the bottom of the ladder....

Of course but it still disproves his point. Also I’d say outside of Munster, the storm would have one of the cheapest back lines in the comp.
Melbourne got great value out of addo Carr, pappy and vunivalu and when the wingers wanted big money they let them go and upgraded the fullback. Melbourne make the tough decisions and prioritise balancing the roster over keeping an individual player. We do the opposite. Their big money is always in the spine. We have our big money in middle forwards and underperforming half.

Last edited:
If staggs wants to shop himself around I say let him go. Amazing attacking weapon, our best, but he had his best year yet and we finished.... stone motherless last.
What have we got to lose? Lol....
Defence and playing as a team are 2 attributes that we should value far more then attacking ability to get us off the bottom of the ladder....
I would not be paying big money on any centre in the competition. The centre depth has never been worse and they might win you a couple if games a year but don't have enough influence to get you to the finals the their own. You want a star half, hooker, or fullback. Staggs is the outside back equivalent of Fifita. He's not a finished product and we should let him go if he wants big money.

Last edited:
I would not be paying big money on any centre in the competition. The centre depth has never been worse and they might win you a couple if games a year but don't have enough influence to get you to the finals the their own. You want a star half, hooker, or fullback. Staggs is the outside back equivalent of Fifita. He's not a finished product and we should let him go if he wants big money.
Centre depth is definitely disgusting throughout the NRL. Definitely need to prioritise the spine and just have centres who can defend and pass. That's literally all they need to do, because the real talent in the NRL is on the wings.

Still don't see why he can't play fullback. He'd be a gun and easily worth 700k there and at the risk of repeating myself, he'd easily be an upgrade on Milford at 5/8. I could see him being of the Jack Wighton tier at 5/8.

Last edited:
Melbourne got great value out of addo Carr, pappy and vunivalu and when the wingers wanted big money they let them go and upgraded the fullback. Melbourne make the tough decisions and prioritise balancing the roster over keeping an individual player. We do the opposite. Their big money is always in the spine. We have our big money in middle forwards and underperforming half.
I remember reading in petero's or webcke's book that WB did this in his first stint at the broncos (prioritising positions). He essentially placed a self imposed "cap" on the amount they would pay players in certain positions. I remember it being said that a prop would not be paid over X amount.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.