Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rico

Rico

QCup Player
Jun 4, 2016
Whilst the straightening out and improving of TPJ this year has been good to see, I think he's never far away from complete imbecile territory. Its a sell now while the going is good for me with the view to bring in a far more disciplined player with equal or better work rate. I know we have limited strike without him but if it forms part of a the broader overhaul for a better spine, I'm all for it.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Whilst the straightening out and improving of TPJ this year has been good to see, I think he's never far away from complete imbecile territory. Its a sell now while the going is good for me with the view to bring in a far more disciplined player with equal or better work rate. I know we have limited strike without him but if it forms part of a the broader overhaul for a better spine, I'm all for it.
He isn't a stock though.. We don't make money by selling him at his peak.. That'd be like buying a second hand car and fixing it up good as new and then giving it away for free.

I don't think we need to release Tevita in order to get a decent spine.. :ohheded:

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
At the moment , TPJ is one of those big guys that just gets the ball and does it on his own. With a decent spine, we wouldn't need to rely on those types of players to create something.

If there was a way to keep him AND have a decent spine, that would be ideal. But bringing in someone like Sua with a decent spine wouldn't be bad either.

For the record, a spine of

1. Hynes
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds
9. Hodgson

would be mint.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I don't think we need much changed at all but having said that I admit I'm on the outside looking in. I don't know any of these guys and have never spoken to them aside from KW a couple of times. I don't count the times we spoke 30 years ago, they weren't quite as civil as the last couple.

I'm saying I don't know what KW does, concerning the players as people. On the surface I think we need a dependable 5/8 and a better quality hooker but I believe we are well served elsewhere . Unlike most I don't want Isaako moved nor do I want to see more experimentation as is proposed with Staggs. If he wants to be a bit more involved he simply needs to talk with the onfield boss, Renault when he gets here next year.

So, for me hooker ( Hodgson I suppose ) and a solid 5/8 are all that are required. Riki, TPJ and Bull are fine, happy to keep our props but if we can trade in Croft and a few other bit players we could pick up players Like Sua or Capewell.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
At the moment , TPJ is one of those big guys that just gets the ball and does it on his own. With a decent spine, we wouldn't need to rely on those types of players to create something.

If there was a way to keep him AND have a decent spine, that would be ideal. But bringing in someone like Sua with a decent spine wouldn't be bad either.

For the record, a spine of

1. Hynes
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds
9. Hodgson

would be mint.
Releasing someone we have spent so much time and effort on developing.. Who could be as damaging as Taumalolo or SBW if he knuckled down.. Which he is starting to do.. Would be very depressing.

The best is yet to be seen from TPJ, if it's seen at another club, I'll continue questioning why I support the Broncos.

I agree, that spine would be very good. I think we can do it without releasing our best forward next to Haas.

If not, we need to look at alternatives.

Reed Mahoney is off contract at the end of 2022. We could play Turpin or someone else cheap for one more year and then buy Mahoney.. Without releasing Tevita.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
He isn't a stock though.. We don't make money by selling him at his peak.. That'd be like buying a second hand car and fixing it up good as new and then giving it away for free.

I don't think we need to release Tevita in order to get a decent spine.. :ohheded:
Im Happy with:
Turpin
Reynolds
Staggs
Hynes
with Tevita and Isaako with only probably another wing position to fill than

Hodgson
Reynolds
Staggs
Hynes
And not fixing our wing position and add fixing our second row to the list that said we'd throw them both away without guaranteeing Hodgson and Hynes in return, dumb move for mine

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
Thing that surprised me about Locky from players who i know who have been around him is that he never seemed keen to help out some of the younger players on the training field. The other thing that i was also a bit surprised about ( and i dont know why really ) is comparing that with Joey. At the Eels he goes out of his way to give advice and help out any player who needs or wants help, even the players outside their 30. Locky is one of my favourite ever Broncos. But just like another former Bronco in Tallis ( who i idolised ) it seems away from the footy field they arent the best.
Not everyone wants to be a mentor or a coach.

I always saw people saying that Locky should be down at training but maybe he’s just not a good teacher.

Might be why Milf ‘rejected’ the offer like 8 years ago or whatever it was.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I find it odd that badel isn't all over this tigers story like a tick on a dog...

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Im Happy with:
Turpin
Reynolds
Staggs
Hynes
with Tevita and Isaako with only probably another wing position to fill than

Hodgson
Reynolds
Staggs
Hynes
And not fixing our wing position and add fixing our second row to the list that said we'd throw them both away without guaranteeing Hodgson and Hynes in return, dumb move for mine
Yep.

Even if we miss out on Hynes because his market price has gone up too much for us at the moment, I'd be fine with.. We could focus on freeing up our salary cap responsibly for 2023.. Brimson and Mahoney are both off contract, big money plays for 2 young Queenslanders would get me going. I said earlier that in the mean time we could bring back someone like Matt Parcell at 9, he adds much more than Turpin does.

1. Isaako
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds
9. Parcell / Turpin / Paix

1. Brimson
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds
9. Mahoney

Then we just have to plan to replace Reynolds when he retires, maybe it will be time for Dearden to make a return? Never know

Rico

Rico

QCup Player
Jun 4, 2016

What if the car is only just roadworthy and never far from breakdown ? This could be one for Nashy :happy:

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Yep.

Even if we miss out on Hynes because his market price has gone up too much for us at the moment, I'd be fine with.. We could focus on freeing up our salary cap responsibly for 2023.. Brimson and Mahoney are both off contract, big money plays for 2 young Queenslanders would get me going. I said earlier that in the mean time we could bring back someone like Matt Parcell at 9, he adds much more than Turpin does.

1. Isaako
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds
9. Parcell / Turpin / Paix

1. Brimson
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds
9. Mahoney

Then we just have to plan to replace Reynolds when he retires, maybe it will be time for Dearden to make a return? Never know
I don't think Hynes is the hard one to fit in I think its more trying to fit other players in around him e.g. Hodgson cause realistically you could just say Asiata we aren't resigning you and Hynes contract is sitting right there

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Isn't it fairly widely known that Mahoney hates the Broncos?

He also mispronounces his own name, so double strike him from the list.
Oh umm I didn't know that. I just assume everyone hates us at the moment.

Someone cheaper like Jake Simpkins could work then?

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
I don't think Hynes is the hard one to fit in I think its more trying to fit other players in around him e.g. Hodgson cause realistically you could just say Asiata we aren't resigning you and Hynes contract is sitting right there
Yeah, I definitely want him. I am annoyed that Broncos have taken so long to bother being interested. I was saying a couple of years ago that Hynes would be a good buy. He's added a few hundred thousand $$$ to his market price now. Worth every penny still though IMO

Looking back at stuff like this is hilarious

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Not everyone wants to be a mentor or a coach.

I always saw people saying that Locky should be down at training but maybe he’s just not a good teacher.

Might be why Milf ‘rejected’ the offer like 8 years ago or whatever it was.

Yep, you are right, it doesnt suit everyone. Its just a shame our second best player ever isnt passing on his vast knowledge.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
how do you know what he advised.

for all we know, he advised against them ... then simply supported the club once the decision was made.

recruitment wise, it wouldn't matter what Lockyer advised, the coach gets the team they want

I dunno, i think if somebody like Lockyer talks in a football sense at board level then people listen. I'm still absolutley astounded nobody at the Broncos seemed to think that getting rid of so many players and going with unproven kids was a good idea. Its never worked anywhere. My personal theory is we were just too fixated on not losing any of these younger players instead of looking at the big picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Financeguy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • FACTHUNT
  • Bucking Beads
  • kwomo
  • bazza
  • Jedhead
  • Galah
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Behold
  • Cavalo
  • Bish
  • johnny plath
  • maximus84
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.