Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mightybroncs2k17

Mightybroncs2k17

NRL Player
Jan 15, 2017
I think the point has been mentioned in another thread but im intrigued by the talk that we still need to lose players to fix our cap. I would have thought our current situation allows us to get Reynolds, Hynes and maybe one other (Su'a/Capewell type player) easily.

This makes me think that maybe we're going to launch an all out assult on some really big names which haven't been mentioned yet?

I mean we loose Milf and gain Reynolds plus 200k change. We had an 800k offer on the table for fifta last year, supposedly 400-500k for coates and 300k walsh and Dearden who didnt accept offers.

You include that money in with the other guys we've offloaded such as macca (600k ish) bird (800k ish) offa (500k ish) i honestly struggle to see how we dont have cap space for 3 decent signings.

Yes we've made some upgrades such as staggs but even with that we should still be sitting pretty.

Honestly if our cap is that bad then the 800k offer for Fifita last year must have nearly had us over given we kept that money plus lose milfords 1 million and still supposedly have no money.

The more i think of it the more i think its just bulshit talk and making the media kickong us while we are down.

I'd love to see a list of what our cap looked like with all of the above players still here (pre season 2021) compared to them not here (right now) and compare how much space we have.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
I think the point has been mentioned in another thread but im intrigued by the talk that we still need to lose players to fix our cap. I would have thought our current situation allows us to get Reynolds, Hynes and maybe one other (Su'a/Capewell type player) easily.

This makes me think that maybe we're going to launch an all out assult on some really big names which haven't been mentioned yet?

I mean we loose Milf and gain Reynolds plus 200k change. We had an 800k offer on the table for fifta last year, supposedly 400-500k for coates and 300k walsh and Dearden who didnt accept offers.

You include that money in with the other guys we've offloaded such as macca (600k ish) bird (800k ish) offa (500k ish) i honestly struggle to see how we dont have cap space for 3 decent signings.

Yes we've made some upgrades such as staggs but even with that we should still be sitting pretty.

Honestly if our cap is that bad then the 800k offer for Fifita last year must have nearly had us over given we kept that money plus lose milfords 1 million and still supposedly have no money.

The more i think of it the more i think its just bulshit talk and making the media kickong us while we are down.

I'd love to see a list of what our cap looked like with all of the above players still here (pre season 2021) compared to them not here (right now) and compare how much space we have.
Grant and ponga let’s go

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
It'd be very 'Broncos' to finally get TPJ playing smart, consistent footy, only to then let him go. I think he'd be a big loss.

If this was at the end of last year, with his constant indiscretions, then yeah, see ya mate. But we've put the hard work in, TPJ has put the hard work in - let's reap the rewards together. Forwards like TPJ are hard to come by, and I feel like next season with a player like Reynolds in the side, he will be a lot more destructive.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I like Hynes as a player, but i'm still not convinced he is going to be as effective in a side that arent as powerful as Melbourne. He isnt the type of player to create something out of nothing, he is very structured in the way he plays and we havent really seen him under pressure defensively. I'd actually say he is very much a Darius Boyd type fullback, which wouldnt be a bad thing but i'm not sure how he would go in a side that isnt dominant. I think he is a pretty big risk and knowing us we will give him a contract thats too long and too high. He was great against the Dragons, but lets face it, they were down on troops and on the back foot because of it for the whole game.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Dobbo this morning decided to throw a price in there for Hynes... indicated Broncos are looking at $1m over 3yrs... so $330k per year.

Seems a little unders but he'd probably be on $200k at storm.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Oh umm I didn't know that. I just assume everyone hates us at the moment.

Someone cheaper like Jake Simpkins could work then?

I would assume you know he has re-signed for three years at the Tigers, so you reckon he'll break his freshly inked contract to come back to us, the club who didn't rate him at all and let him walk for nothing?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Dobbo this morning decided to throw a price in there for Hynes... indicated Broncos are looking at $1m over 3yrs... so $330k per year.

Seems a little unders but he'd probably be on $200k at storm.
That's a deal you gotta take. Like I said before, even if the Broncos get better players in a year or two time, that's still a fantastic salary for a good back-up player who can cover two key positions.

Mightybroncs2k17

Mightybroncs2k17

NRL Player
Jan 15, 2017
Grant and ponga let’s go
I mean, part of me thinks that we are doing a 'roosters special' and just going after every big name star we can so something like Grant and Ponga might be on their mind.

If we genuinly are shopping TPJ, Issako and Lodge around i can see no other reason then the tactic of fill the team with stars (Reynolds, Ponga, Grant, Hass, Staggs) and then surround them with 300k average players to reap the rewards?

Strike and rep player's in key positions and then stock standard tom opacic, jordan riki type mid range players to fill the squad.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
I mean, part of me thinks that we are doing a 'roosters special' and just going after every big name star we can so something like Grant and Ponga might be on their mind.

If we genuinly are shopping TPJ, Issako and Lodge around i can see no other reason then the tactic of fill the team with stars (Reynolds, Ponga, Grant, Hass, Staggs) and then surround them with 300k average players to reap the rewards?

Strike and rep player's in key positions and then stock standard tom opacic, jordan riki type mid range players to fill the squad.
I hope this is the case. The stock standards that are solid and consistent are the real secret weapons.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015

It's the way to go. Get a decent spine and we'll see how effective guys like Haas and Herbie can be.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Man, i hope we dont lose TPJ, that would fucking suck.
I dont want to lose Issako either but TPJ would be the one i would keep if i had to choose between the two.

Hell i want TPJ to be captain.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I dunno, i think if somebody like Lockyer talks in a football sense at board level then people listen. I'm still absolutley astounded nobody at the Broncos seemed to think that getting rid of so many players and going with unproven kids was a good idea. Its never worked anywhere. My personal theory is we were just too fixated on not losing any of these younger players instead of looking at the big picture.
It was 100% FOMO.

Early press conferences from Seibold and PW were all about "a special group of young players coming through"... so I'd say it has been the directive for awhile.

I'm not sure who would be able to push that directive, but potentially it was Nolan given he would be seeing these kids coming through the ranks and possibly suggesting they should be transitioning them into first grade??

May have also been PW seeing it as a marketing gold mine (ie. Bunch of Broncos juniors making up the majority of the squad).... I dont think it would've been the coach as their was a transition occurring as the young guys were starting to be introduced Bennett was on his way out and Seibold was coming in.

I daresay transitioning of the kids into the team would've been a key criteria for selecting the next coach though.. ie. "We have a special group of young players coming through, how do you intend to transition them into first grade and nurture their ongoing development?"

I have absolutely no doubt that it was a directive from above to bring the kids through the grades and Seibold with his hubris pitched that he could do it and the culling of cap space began from there.

There was just far too much of a narrative about the kids coming through for it to not have been a board directive combined with naivety of Seibold to implement

Skyblues87

Skyblues87

QCup Player
Feb 9, 2017
We gave permission for this to happen so we can sign Hodgson and Hynes..

I understand releasing Isaako in order to sign Hynes.. But if you need to release Pangai to sign Hodgson then you just look for another hooker..

And thats exactly what the Storm do. We should certainly adopt that model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• The Don
  • Culhwch
  • Justwin
  • Xzei
  • Fozz
  • Ondi
  • johnyE
  • Foordy
  • Gaz
  • Manofoneway
  • FACTHUNT
  • Bucking Beads
  • mystico
  • Strop
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.