Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly... leave Dearden to rot in ISC

Pretty much. Being down a player is preferable to doing the Cows any favors or Billy Walters coming up here. As I said before, if he does turn up here, my faith in Kev will be rocked to the core.

i seriously don't see the issue with Billy Walters eventually coming to the club.

while he certainly isn't elite, he is proven to be a handy utility/injury coverage (for both the Storm and the Tigers) who'll be here on minimum wage. at full strength he'll likely not be in the picture anyway.

I am discussing ISC and every year players like Toby Rudolf, Jamayne Taunoa-Brown, Darryn Schonig, Jaimin Jolliffe etc. emerge a play their role. None of them were signed on lucrative contracts which is why they're valuable.
I don't see any 100k guys in that list. When a guy 'emerges' he isn't a bit player when he's been at a club for years. Kennedy is coming up on two years next month and I'd say he's been a good contributor in a badly beaten team. I'd hope he was on 200k a season at least. I certainly wouldn't have him listed at 110k in a hypothetical wages list.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that I don't agree with the apparent consensus view that he's barely first grade and should be grateful to breath the same air as a great like Flegler.

Kennedy (26 y/o) - 49 running metres per game, 15.5 tackles per game at 79% efficiency
Bullemor (21 y/o) - 52 running metres per game, 13.5 tackles per game at 81% efficiency
Flegler (21 y/o) - 74 running metres per game, 21.5 tackles per game at 90% efficiency
Riki (21 y/o) - 72 running metres per game, 31.6 tackles per game at 89% efficiency

It's difficult to split them, because they've all been so average, but based on the numbers you'd say Kennedy has been the most average of the bunch. The eye test backs that up for mine. Tries hard, but certainly not the most talented individual in the world.
I thought I'd have a look at those stats a little more closely because they aren't flattering.

Flegler has had a lot more time on the field so his figures are naturally going to be superior. Flegler has had more than twice as many minutes 371 to 145. RK has had 6 games to Flegs 10 too.

Both guys manage an average of one offload a game but again RK has had less time to do it in. (Per game)
Flegler's average of 74 metres per game is of course going to be higher, he's on for a lot longer! Post contact metres is actually pretty similar too when time on field is factored in.
RK does also have a couple stats that are better than Flegler's. That's more linebreaks and tries. Considering he's had only 39% of the time Flegler's had that’s pretty damn good.

When you look at the stats thoroughly and consider actual minutes(opportunities to create) you can see those stats , while accurate don't tell the real story.

If you think he's on $200,000 more power to you. However considering how low key a signing it was and the lack of interest in Kennedy in general I'd imagine he would have been happy to take a low $100,000 contract, especially since he wasn't guaranteed a place in the 17 at a wooden spoon club.

Toby Rudolf may not be on that type of money now but when he first signed he would have been. There's always players like Toby Rudolf coming through and if clubs identify those players and give them opportunities they reap the rewards and get value. It's what Melbourne has done so well over the years.

I thought I'd have a look at those stats a little more closely because they aren't flattering.

Flegler has had a lot more time on the field so his figures are naturally going to be superior. Flegler has had more than twice as many minutes 371 to 145. RK has had 6 games to Flegs 10 too.

Both guys manage an average of one offload a game but again RK has had less time to do it in. (Per game)
Flegler's average of 74 metres per game is of course going to be higher, he's on for a lot longer! Post contact metres is actually pretty similar too when time on field is factored in.
RK does also have a couple stats that are better than Flegler's. That's more linebreaks and tries. Considering he's had only 39% of the time Flegler's had that’s pretty damn good.

When you look at the stats thoroughly and consider actual minutes(opportunities to create) you can see those stats , while accurate don't tell the real story.

They're both incredibly average players, not sure what you're getting out of this comparison apart from the fact that they're both bad and could quite comfortably be replaced by a minimum wage fringe first grader, for the most part.

If you asked me which one I'd rather completely delete from the team, salary and all, I'd pick Flegler. Because he's incredibly overpaid. But that's not to say that Kennedy is anything more than a placeholder until we can sign some actual talent.

Pretty much. Being down a player is preferable to doing the Cows any favors or Billy Walters coming up here. As I said before, if he does turn up here, my faith in Kev will be rocked to the core.
“Rocked to the core”? Really? Wow man you love the drama.

@Big Pete , he signed two years ago. Sure, maybe at the time he signed he was on 100k. Since then he's played plenty of games and they want him around next year. When you give out contracts to players who are being kept 'just in case' you sign them for a year. If you think they're more valuable you offer two year or more deals. No way in hell would a player commit to a absolute bottom dollar deal for two years, he'd take a one . Why the **** would a player take that and limit himself. If bottom dollar was the offer it would still be there the following year, it's not going to be worse is it?

Anyway, we'll never know. Unless of course I compromise my mate at the tax office!!!
They're both incredibly average players, not sure what you're getting out of this comparison apart from the fact that they're both bad and could quite comfortably be replaced by a minimum wage fringe first grader, for the most part.

If you asked me which one I'd rather completely delete from the team, salary and all, I'd pick Flegler. Because he's incredibly overpaid. But that's not to say that Kennedy is anything more than a placeholder until we can sign some actual talent.
Fair enough. No one's asking you to change your opinion. A minimum wage fringe first grader is of course still far superior to a first rate ISC player given the gap in quality. Are you saying that we can sign a minimum wage first grade prop with some actual talent to replace him? That's what, 120k a year? Who would you suggest or who fits that description and rates only minimum wage?

On the comparison I was merely pointing out that the stats you provided and argued that they showed Kennedy to be 'the most average of the bunch but as you can would now agree I'm sure that those stats were not truly representative. Probably would be preferable to flick Flegler before Kennedy as they are doing the same job for very similar results ( the eye test failed quite obviously) yet Flegler costs at least three times more or 5 or 6 times more if Big Pete's figures are correct.

Three into two dont work for the Raiders...

Havili is there in NSW cup playing hooker. Starlings their future which leaves Hodgson.

If you are looking for a spine player on the same timeline as Reynolds, then hed be a upgrade for us there...

Ive not seen Turps do this to markers 5 metres out from the tryline...

Hodgson-min.gif

If you think he's on $200,000 more power to you. However considering how low key a signing it was and the lack of interest in Kennedy in general I'd imagine he would have been happy to take a low $100,000 contract, especially since he wasn't guaranteed a place in the 17 at a wooden spoon club.

Toby Rudolf may not be on that type of money now but when he first signed he would have been. There's always players like Toby Rudolf coming through and if clubs identify those players and give them opportunities they reap the rewards and get value. It's what Melbourne has done so well over the years.
I agree with everything you’ve said but one point that works in Huge’s favour is that he is a Seibold signing. Hard to say how much money that idiot would throw at a player like Kennedy.

i seriously don't see the issue with Billy Walters eventually coming to the club.

while he certainly isn't elite, he is proven to be a handy utility/injury coverage (for both the Storm and the Tigers) who'll be here on minimum wage. at full strength he'll likely not be in the picture anyway.

Agreed. At this point, the only reason I want to hang on to Dearden is for injury cover. If we can get Walters in this 3 way swap, I'm keen. Minimum wage, has far more experience than Dearden and you know he will play for the coach because If he doesn't, his allowance gets cut off and he's going to bed with no desert. Sure it looks bad but I'd rather a guy who wants to be here and wants to play for us than some little twat that's off at the end of the year.

Agreed. At this point, the only reason I want to hang on to Dearden is for injury cover. If we can get Walters in this 3 way swap, I'm keen. Minimum wage, has far more experience than Dearden and you know he will play for the coach because If he doesn't, his allowance gets cut off and he's going to bed with no desert. Sure it looks bad but I'd rather a guy who wants to be here and wants to play for us than some little twat that's off at the end of the year.
I'm not sure that I would play for a desert in the first place, hot , arid, flies, dust etc, does not interest me. Dessert, that is a different question.

The issue is Kevvie. His team selections this year have been almost as bad as his interchange during the games. I'm getting the feeling he is leaning towards picking his favorites, and that's not working out great. What will the reaction be if he gives his son way too many games in first grade after him not performing?

The way Kevvie has started so far, I don't see him going beyond 2 years.

It’s almost like the media really want someone, anyone to leave the club. They are throwing darts and hoping they land the ‘scoop’. We have Isaako, Milford, Oates, Dearden, Lodge, TPJ, Flegler, Hetherington, Cobbo and Gamble all ‘weighing up options’. Obviously someone out of everyone will likely move but where is all this talk for every other club?

Let’s not forget Piakura, Staggs and Riki, the media was pushing so hard for all of them to go elsewhere.

To summarise hoops' BS.

- He's betting Hodgson will be lining up for us next year
- He reckons we have no money (didn't he say we have 3M+ war chest for next year?) lol
- Oates and Lodge told to find another club so we can sign Hynes and Hodgson.
- Knights intend to sign Lodge for next year
- Supposedly Staggs was going to sign with Newcastle before changing his mind last second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Robboi_321
  • Spooky1013
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • RolledOates
  • GCBRONCO
  • Hoof Hearted
  • bb_gun
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Fozz
  • Old Mate
  • Fatboy
  • Battler
  • Justwin
  • Rambstien
  • TimWhatley
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.