Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just figure , Nicho Hynes has done his time in ISC , he has smoothly transitioned to NRL and has been quietly dominant.

He also looks like the type of player that won't shy from adversity, and is not going to make many mistakes.

He also has heaps of try assists at every level. I'd feel way more comfortable with him partnering Reynolds, than Staggs.

I'd also feel more comfortable with Hynes covering 1 over Isaako, if we did feel the need to accommodate Staggs at 6.

I think having a super solid link-man to finish the job in the opposition 22 would really be the icing on the cake.

Hynes would soften the Walsh blow a lot. Just having someone's who competent and genuinely a top 8 fullback and if he's cheaper, I'd even be okay with losing Walsh. Hynes for 330k could be better value than Walsh at 500k but only time will tell.

Could be wrong but I thought I read that he's asking 3 year deal for 1M
2 years would’ve been optimal but 335k per season for 3 years for a player that can fill in 1, 6, and 14 i think it’s a great deal. You can always shift him if a better fullback option presents themselves in the next 2-3 years.

2 years would’ve been optimal but 335k per season for 3 years for a player that can fill in 1, 6, and 14 i think it’s a great deal. You can always shift him if a better fullback option presents themselves in the next 2-3 years.
Yep and that performance risk is all gone... we arent taking a punt on him in our salary cap anymore... brilliant signing if true

Slightly off topic, but I was looking into something. In 2000, Lockyer, Ikin and Priddis were all around 23 y.o, and Walters himself was 34-35y.o. playing halfback. Then in 2006, Lockyer, Perry and Berrigan were all 28-29 y.o and then Hodges was younger at 24 (from memory,) at fullback. I wonder if that is the blueprint they are working with here in terms of the spine?

Are Hynes, Turpin, Gamble and Isaako are all roughly the same age?

Slightly off topic, but I was looking into something. In 2000, Lockyer, Ikin and Priddis were all around 23 y.o, and Walters himself was 34-35y.o. playing halfback. Then in 2006, Lockyer, Perry and Berrigan were all 28-29 y.o and then Hodges was younger at 24 (from memory,) at fullback. I wonder if that is the blueprint they are working with here in terms of the spine?

Gamble and a Isaako won’t be in our spine next year if Hynes comes and Staggs are fit tho... Isaako will be on the wing and Gamble will either be Lock, Bench, Q-cup or another club

This would get me confident we'd be competitive for next year and is 100% achievable:

1. Hynes
2. Cobbo
3. Farnworth
4. Lee
5. Isaako
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
9. Hodgson
10. Carrigan
11. Su'A/Capewell
12. Pangai Jr
13. Hetherington

14. Walters/Paix/Gamble
15. Bullemor/Flegler
16. Kennedy/Flegler
17. Riki/Piakura

I am not sure on the make up of the forward pack and bench in terms of who plays where but that spine is light years ahead of the rubbish we have this year.

Gamble and a Isaako won’t be in our spine next year if Hynes comes and Staggs are fit tho... Isaako will be on the wing and Gamble will either be Lock, Bench, Q-cup or another club

Gamble wont be playing lock. He might fill in there if we are desperate, but he's a half. I dont think he will be here anyway. We seem to have this unhealthy obsession with having a player come into the side, doing well, then wanting to move then from the position they did well in. I even saw somebody say we should be playing him hooker! I've been watching Tyson since he played Colts at Reddy and i've never seen him anywhere else but in the halves. If he plays lock, its not going to be until he gets towards the end of his career.

This would get me confident we'd be competitive for next year and is 100% achievable:

1. Hynes
2. Cobbo
3. Farnworth
4. Lee
5. Isaako
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
9. Hodgson
10. Carrigan
11. Su'A/Capewell
12. Pangai Jr
13. Hetherington

14. Walters/Paix/Gamble
15. Bullemor/Flegler
16. Kennedy/Flegler
17. Riki/Piakura

I am not sure on the make up of the forward pack and bench in terms of who plays where but that spine is light years ahead of the rubbish we have this year.
There we go mate... a realistic team that I’d be frothing to see

Gamble wont be playing lock. He might fill in there if we are desperate, but he's a half. I dont think he will be here anyway. We seem to have this unhealthy obsession with having a player come into the side, doing well, then wanting to move then from the position they did well in. I even saw somebody say we should be playing him hooker! I've been watching Tyson since he played Colts at Reddy and i've never seen him anywhere else but in the halves. If he plays lock, its not going to be until he gets towards the end of his career.
I know what you mean but the lock position is very different now it’s ball playing ability then size that dominates... he’s got the ball playing ability and aggression to succeed there... and of course we would move him cause he’s not fucken playing halves next year... if it doesn’t work he goes back and plays q-cup

There we go mate... a realistic team that I’d be frothing to see

I dunno about that backline though. It'd be solid but not sure there are any weapons there other than Herbie. Cobbo of course likely will be but not sure if it will be straight away.

I don't like it, but I agree. I just thought it was one hell of a coincidence, considering in 2015, McCullough and Hunt were 25, Milford was 21 and
Boyd was around 28.

But I just checked it, Hynes is the same age as Isaako, Turpin, and Gamble. But Brandon Smith also fits that age profile if that is what they are actually thinking. They were all born in 1996.

So they could keep Gamble at 5/8th over Staggs(whose strengths would balance out Gambles weaknesses on the same edge) and bring in either B.Smith or Hynes for Turpin or Isaako without disrupting it too much.

I know what you mean but the lock position is very different now it’s ball playing ability then size that dominates... he’s got the ball playing ability and aggression to succeed there... and of course we would move him cause he’s not fucken playing halves next year... if it doesn’t work he goes back and plays q-cup

Its not that different these days from how lock was played in the days before it got turned into basically an extra prop. I remember one of the reasons Bennett wanted Bird at 13 was because he saw the game changing back to ball players in the 13 shirt. I'm pretty confident we wont see him at lock for Brisbane in the NRL, or even at lock in the ISC in the near future either ( unless like i said we have a spate of injuries and are desperate ). Must admit, i see these team lists with him at 14 as well and i dont think thats even a good role for him either. He either starts or he doesnt play.

I know people will give me pelters for it, but i still dont see Gamble as an NRL half despite him being decent in his first few games. I'm still of the opinion we have been that bad off for a half anyone even barely competent looks like a star for us. i'm still convinced if he gets a shot somewhere where he can really compete for a starting position, he will go. Totally agree with you he wont be playing halves here if everyone is fit.

I dunno about that backline though. It'd be solid but not sure there are any weapons there other than Herbie. Cobbo of course likely will be but not sure if it will be straight away.

Isaako could be a weapon from the wing ... has all the skills, just needs to learn to stay there in defence.

I'm not convinced that Staggs will be at 6 long term and IMO, while i'm sure he'll be given a decent shot at 6, by mid season next year, we could see Staggs back at center.

Yeah well the centre’s and fullback are fine and the wingers definitely have skill and finishing ability only thing they lack will be kick return and 1st 2nd tackle metres

If we signed Walsh, "Milford" would walk out anyway by the sounds of it.

If a player can't back themselves to be first picked, they obviously aren't good enough to begin with. It's not like we have Billy Slater as our #1 fullback.
You bring up a brilliant point here

Mmmm, close. In 2000 Walters was 32 and turned 33 after the season finished. He played the following year aged 33 when we finished 5th. Interesting theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Volvo Driver
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Dash
  • Santa
  • phoenix
  • Bucking Beads
  • Organix
  • Robboi_321
  • Gaz
  • The True King
  • Justwin
  • Culhwch
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.