Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
My theory of the day:

Hynes has already signed with us but has asked the Broncos not to say anything and will make it official post their loss to us this weekend.

He wants to respect the Storm by not making the announcement before we embarrass them. Then Hynes will obviously breathe a huge sigh of relief knowing he’s made the right decision and can begin loathing the Storm when he comes to play for us in ‘22.

We have complained about a lack of leadership in the squad. Lodge starts to display it and now we are looking to offload him? Unless it is some part of a grander plan, i just dont get it.
He’s a long term anchor on our cap, has struggled with fitness the last two years, has struggled adapting to the new rules and his form has been inconsistent. Not to mention the new high contact crackdown which he will be a magnet for.

Yes, he had a great game on the weekend, but let’s not pretend he does it every week, he’s done it maybe 3 times all year.

I though Opacic had another up impressive game today in a well beaten side. He’s cut from the exact clothe as Jack Reed. Reliable honest hardworking centre. Probably can’t have both him and Lee in the team but if you really wanted to load the cap toward the spine without sacrificing what we have in the forwards you could do worse than 2 reliable cheapies in Oppa and Lee.

1. Hynes
2. Isaako
3. Opacic
4. Lee
5. Farnworth
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds
9. Turpin/Hodgson/Smith

That’s very cheap but serviceable 1-5 and for the most part they are all very coachable players.
I reckon you could carry 2 solid centers if you could get a bit of x factor on the wing

Moving Lodge on would be completely braindead. Putting aside anyone's personal opinion on the bloke, he has been one of our best forwards this season - often even outperforming Haas. He's a tough, passionate, no-nonsense workhorse who gets us on the front foot constantly and has the grit, heart and mongrel that our forward pack sorely needs. It's clear to see that he's a leader out on the field and willing to stand up to anyone and inspire his teammates. His contract may be on the high side, but taking Lodge out of this team would be a huge mistake and weaken us significantly.

The lodge whispers grow louder and more frequent so looks inevitable it will happen. I'd be less upset if it happened at the end of year so we can find a replacement and only pay a full year of some of his wage. I think this is 100% to clear his two years of player options from our books.

Anyone got a list of possible replacements? Preferably 150+ games and ability to chew some meters.

There's no way our pack is experienced enough to go it alone yet.

The lodge whispers grow louder and more frequent so looks inevitable it will happen. I'd be less upset if it happened at the end of year so we can find a replacement and only pay a full year of some of his wage. I think this is 100% to clear his two years of player options from our books.

Anyone got a list of possible replacements? Preferably 150+ games and ability to chew some meters.

Isaac Liu and Josh Hodgson combo

I don’t get the Hodgson stuff. Not because of my undying love for Turps, but because I just don’t think he’s necessary unless it’s like a 200k deal. All this talk of clearing salary cap room to then sign a somewhat busted (2x ACL in the last 4 years) selfish hooker. He’s a good player, but not someone I think we need to chase, only if he falls into our lap on a cut-price deal.

Reynolds and Hynes (assuming) will improve our team enough without buying an entirely new spine at the cost of necessary forwards (Lodge)

Bellamy says he wants to hang onto Hynes:

All the interviews I've seen with Hynes he seems to be very open to a move if it means he would be getting a starting spot.

That's because most are led by the nose and don't think for themselves. It's okay though, people are entitled to believe what they wish. I will cite one example of a preconception. Last year you could barely find a poster on here who thought Kennedy was a decent nrl forward. I was one of very very few who watched carefully and formed an opinion on what I saw. I don't listen to football broadcasts, I find the commentary irritating and distracting. I just watch in silence.

Kennedy has not changed one iota or perhaps he's a tad fitter, I don't know. Last year nobody put him down on the team lists they like creating. When I suggested him I was told he was garbage. Now, he features on every proposed list. He hasn't changed, he's still tackling the same, still making the same metres. What's changed? I tell you what's changed. The commentary around his efforts. You ask how I know if I watch in silence?
I watch the replays with the sound on. I've heard complimentary things said and lo and behold, next day or straight after they're said those same comments become many posters own thoughts!

The Anasta Isaako diatribe the other night was a classic example. Any fair minded person watching the game would see Isaako did little wrong. Anasta crucified him, hammering the same line and of course, that became 'the truth'. It wouldn't have mattered who the fullback was, the times when four grubbers are perfectly weighted, the times when those same four grubbers bounce their final bounce perfectly and lob into the arms of an attacker can be counted as 'once in a lifetime'. It doesn't happen but it did on that night.

You can believe it was some masterful plan or that Isaako should have been perfectly positioned but the truth is it was simply a freakishly fortunate sequence that bounced the perfect way. Anyway, you guys keep thinking Isaako is terrible, I choose to believe otherwise. I've blocked Bookhaki and won't be engaging anymore on this subject which will no doubt please many.
Isaako is copping what Boyd got and Turpin is now starting to get what macca got.
I'm not saying everything said about those players is wrong but I think the defensive deficiencies is a bit exaggerated.
My main worry with Isaako is he was a hole runner in a team needing play makers.
Gamble and Kelly are older and wiser halves than what we have had and an improvement with their set up play.
Isaako has improved with his passing to my eye and was very evident in his link play with experienced outside backs (Copley try). He will never be an elite fullback in that area but I think he can be successful in that role for us, provided we find a more experience and gifted hooker.
Turpin should be a utility.
Sproj has echoed your thoughts on Kennedy longer than anyone else here but I think he should be definitely be in the mix as a budget middle forward. My main concern with him is his inconsistency when given longer spells but he did come off injury lay offs when it was expected of him.

hes not at training... he has sold his house.... the club accepted a one week ban.... i say the writing is on the wall

of course he does, but they can't offer him a starting spot, which means they can't offer him the money either, even if they had it. I would be stunned if he stays.

I don’t mind releasing lodge, but if we need to pay $400k of his salary it isn’t worth it. We aren’t going to get someone better than him for $400k I wouldn’t think.

I guess it depends if it gets us out of his player options, take the $400k hit this year and be free of his salary next year is not so bad.

If we are paying half this year and then the next two that is farked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • scobie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.