Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isaako is copping what Boyd got and Turpin is now starting to get what macca got.
I'm not saying everything said about those players is wrong but I think the defensive deficiencies is a bit exaggerated.
My main worry with Isaako is he was a hole runner in a team needing play makers.
Gamble and Kelly are older and wiser halves than what we have had and an improvement with their set up play.
Isaako has improved with his passing to my eye and was very evident in his link play with experienced outside backs (Copley try). He will never be an elite fullback in that area but I think he can be successful in that role for us, provided we find a more experience and gifted hooker.
Turpin should be a utility.
Sproj has echoed your thoughts on Kennedy longer than anyone else here but I think he should be definitely be in the mix as a budget middle forward. My main concern with him is his inconsistency when given longer spells but he did come off injury lay offs when it was expected of him.
This seems reasonably balanced. It still makes me wonder though, how you or anyone else ,can make claims of absolute certainty about players and the future.
About Isaako you say "He will never be an elite fullback in that area". Fine, this is your opinion, I get it but why is it expressed as a fact?

I'm not being pedantic and somehow I should just know as to when you are simply stating an opinion or stating a fact. That's difficult to accomplish without posters and in this case you making it clear. I appreciate you being otherwise clear. I haven't seen any inconsistency in Kennedy's game for quite a long time and he's done everything asked of him. Initially there were several strident posters making only derogatory posts concerning him and that did irritate me. What I saw was a guy having a go for my team. This doesn't mean I was blind to any failings or imperfections but mean spirited abuse was never okay in my books.

Since his earliest days he has gradually improved and these days we don't tend to hear many posters putting him down and my recent discussions were purely about my estimation of his value to the team. In our most recent game he replaced Lodge who was excellent and setting the standard and we didn't lose any go forward when he came on. When some on here thought that level of play was only worth minimum wages, a pissy 100-115k I admit to being irritated. I thought they were continuing to be unfair and it was a continuation of undeserved condemnation.

To our shame on this great forum we have too many snap judgement style posters and there's a hyena style pack mentality at times. People don't like to think that they can be guided, pride makes us believe what we think is our own opinion and is truly our own but we are much more susceptible to manipulation than we believe. Anasta's recent garbage about Isaako was a great example. On that occasion Isaako did very little wrong but Anasta's words fed into pre existing bias. It amped it to the point unthinking dolts were claiming all four tries were directly attributable to Isaako's poor play. At best one could have been.

He’s a long term anchor on our cap, has struggled with fitness the last two years, has struggled adapting to the new rules and his form has been inconsistent. Not to mention the new high contact crackdown which he will be a magnet for.

Yes, he had a great game on the weekend, but let’s not pretend he does it every week, he’s done it maybe 3 times all year.
That was the guy with the broken leg last year, yeah? The one who 'has struggled for fitness' ? Cool story.
Wasn't the theory about adapting to the new rules proven to be baseless when we found out he had a broken leg? He hasn't had any trouble with the crackdown so far, well nothing out of the ordinary.

You reasons are crap.

Bellamy says he wants to hang onto Hynes:

then he might have to lose Paps or Munster ... I'd happily take either of them off his hands 😉

This seems reasonably balanced. It still makes me wonder though, how you or anyone else ,can make claims of absolute certainty about players and the future.
About Isaako you say "He will never be an elite fullback in that area". Fine, this is your opinion, I get it but why is it expressed as a fact?

I'm not being pedantic and somehow I should just know as to when you are simply stating an opinion or stating a fact. That's difficult to accomplish without posters and in this case you making it clear. I appreciate you being otherwise clear. I haven't seen any inconsistency in Kennedy's game for quite a long time and he's done everything asked of him. Initially there were several strident posters making only derogatory posts concerning him and that did irritate me. What I saw was a guy having a go for my team. This doesn't mean I was blind to any failings or imperfections but mean spirited abuse was never okay in my books.

Since his earliest days he has gradually improved and these days we don't tend to hear many posters putting him down and my recent discussions were purely about my estimation of his value to the team. In our most recent game he replaced Lodge who was excellent and setting the standard and we didn't lose any go forward when he came on. When some on here thought that level of play was only worth minimum wages, a pissy 100-115k I admit to being irritated. I thought they were continuing to be unfair and it was a continuation of undeserved condemnation.

To our shame on this great forum we have too many snap judgement style posters and there's a hyena style pack mentality at times. People don't like to think that they can be guided, pride makes us believe what we think is our own opinion and is truly our own but we are much more susceptible to manipulation than we believe. Anasta's recent garbage about Isaako was a great example. On that occasion Isaako did very little wrong but Anasta's words fed into pre existing bias. It amped it to the point unthinking dolts were claiming all four tries were directly attributable to Isaako's poor play. At best one could have been.
Everything I say is an opinion. I'm not Wolfie with an inside knowledge and anything stated is purely that.
I don't proclaim to know the future but was asserting an opinion of his passing ability based upon what I have seen and his age. I fully concede my falibility and demonstrate it daily but love to throw my 0.02 dollars in in any case.
I wasn't having a go at your factuality, or anyone elses but expressing my thoughts in Isaako, Kennedy and sproj's double date for Wolfie and carrigan. Mostly I'm here for a laugh.

Exactly. Bellamy said "in the 17."
I think bellamy will be in his ear saying "munster will go to the new team in 2023 (which munster pretty much indicated he would if the money was right), and then the 6 is yours, playing with grant, hughes and papenhuyzen in the spine".

The transition plans melbourne have are just top shelf.

That was the guy with the broken leg last year, yeah? The one who 'has struggled for fitness' ? Cool story.
Wasn't the theory about adapting to the new rules proven to be baseless when we found out he had a broken leg? He hasn't had any trouble with the crackdown so far, well nothing out of the ordinary.

You reasons are crap.
Was he fit to play with a broken leg? No.

He has had three decent games all year, Penrith, Cowboys & Roosters, and two of those were slow contests, particularly last week, which was very stop start. So no, he hasn’t set the world on fire under the new rules.

He was literally sin binned on the weekend and suspended for next week under the crackdown. “Nothing out of the ordinary” is the point! He is prone to giving away high shots, that’s why he has loading! That’s why he’s missing a week! That’s why imo he may prove to be a liability under the new edict!

I think bellamy will be in his ear saying "munster will go to the new team in 2023 (which munster pretty much indicated he would if the money was right), and then the 6 is yours, playing with grant, hughes and papenhuyzen in the spine".

The transition plans melbourne have are just top shelf.
Are we actually kidding that you reckon the Storm would choose Nicho Hynes over the best 6 in the country. Real smart isn't it. He's good and all and would love him at the broncos but you seriously reckon they would just throw away the best 6 for a top 10 Fullback to stay at the club.

Was he fit to play with a broken leg? No.

He has had three decent games all year, Penrith, Cowboys & Roosters, and two of those were slow contests, particularly last week, which was very stop start. So no, he hasn’t set the world on fire under the new rules.

He was literally sin binned on the weekend and suspended for next week under the crackdown. “Nothing out of the ordinary” is the point! He is prone to giving away high shots, that’s why he has loading! That’s why he’s missing a week! That’s why imo he may prove to be a liability under the new edict!
You really don’t have any patience

Are we actually kidding that you reckon the Storm would choose Nicho Hynes over the best 6 in the country. Real smart isn't it. He's good and all and would love him at the broncos but you seriously reckon they would just throw away the best 6 for a top 10 Fullback to stay at the club.
I am not saying they will throw munster away, simply that they will not be able to compete with the other offers. They will have papenhuyzen on close to a mil, grant on or over a mil, hughes in excess of 750k.

They will have to compete with a new team who are starting their cap from scratch and not suffering from previous poor investments and would more than likely offer over a mil for him.

when was the last time the club fought a charge at the judiciary?

my guess would be it's been nearly 6 years (when we got Hodges off to play the GF)
Didn’t we fight one last year and lost, I’m thinking it was TPJ

The optics right now on losing Lodge arent good at all. Hes been a stand out in our forwards.

The angle of us trying to remove his 2 x PO though do make a lot of sense moving forward. Short term pain for long term gain..

However, Newcastle are really making a mess of their team currently; They are bringing Lodge in, already brought Frizell & still have the Saifiti brothers and Klemmer.

Are they trying to do a Broncos 2020 here?

They have no half back and THIS is how they go about rectifying it...?

Sorry, cant see the logic...

Be interesting to see what DD says about this once/if its announced...?

- Lodge looks to be leaving (700k)
- Oates likely to look elsewhere (500k)
- Isaako possibly moving to tigers (350k)

Thats another ~$1.5m

Then we’ve got the already confirmed/likely:
- Milford $1m
- Macca $400k
- Bird $400k
- Glenn $250k
- Coates $250k
- Dearden $200k
- Ofahengaue $200k?

~ $2.5m

Total: $4m

signed:
Reynolds $750

upgrade:
- Staggs + $250k
- Piakura + $200k
- Riki + $200k

Total: $1.4m

Really we should have about $2.5m to replace 6 players.
(10 players above, 3 already moved on and replaced, Reynolds joining.)

edit: to get an idea of how many players will need to be starters and how many min wage, we can look at the remaining line up.

1. ???
2. ???
3. Farnworth
4. Lee
5.. ???
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds
8. Carrigan
9. Turpin
10 Haas
11. Riki/Piakura
12. TPJ
13. Flegler

Of the 7 incoming players from this amount, 3-5 will likely be starters. A fullback and 2 backline players. Likely an experienced forward. Possibly a hooker. Which leaves 2 depth/min wage signings ~ 300k

5 starters with $2.2m cap = $450k each.

Thats another ~$1.5m

- Milford $1m
- Macca $400k
- Bird $400k
- Glenn $250k
- Coates $250k
- Dearden $200k
- Ofahengaue $200k?

~ $2.5m

signed:
Reynolds $750

upgrade:
- Staggs + $250k
- Piakura + $200k
- Riki + $200k

I'd be throwing upgrades at Haas, and re-signing TPJ.
Bring in Hynes and the Cheese.

Thats another ~$1.5m

- Milford $1m
- Macca $400k
- Bird $400k
- Glenn $250k
- Coates $250k
- Dearden $200k
- Ofahengaue $200k?

~ $2.5m

signed:
Reynolds $750

upgrade:
- Staggs + $250k
- Piakura + $200k
- Riki + $200k

Herbie and TPJ will need extensions too before November or other teams can offer contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Xarr
  • Johnny92
  • Battler
  • pennywisealfie
  • Brocko
  • Alec
  • Pablo
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.