Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 13349

That settles it... someone get SJ's number for the Broncos r&r team.

Apparently SJ only wants $600k for 2yrs... make it fucking happen!!
Don't get me wrong, he would be a good pick up, but it seems like a short term solution to look at S.J and Hodgson when Reynolds is coming from next year.

I would rather we copied what Penrith did with Maloney and Cleary, and put somebody younger beside Reynolds to learn off him personally. Be it Staggs or whoever else.

If we were to look at another Hooker though, it would have to be B.Smith or nothing at all. Hodgson is a good player for Canberra, but so was Issac Luke for South Sydney.

The only way I can think of to get B. Smith is could we sign and loan one of their current players back to them for cap relief? If we can't, I'd stick it out with Paix or Turpin.

Don't get me wrong, he would be a good pick up, but it seems like a short term solution to look at S.J and Hodgson when Reynolds is coming from next year.

I would rather we copied what Penrith did with Maloney and Cleary, and put somebody younger beside Reynolds to learn off him personally. Be it Staggs or whoever else.

If we were to look at another Hooker though, it would have to be B.Smith or nothing at all. Hodgson is a good player for Canberra, but so was Issac Luke for South Sydney.

The only way I can think of to get B. Smith is could we sign and loan one of their current players back to them for cap relief? If we can't, I'd stick it out with Paix or Turpin.
Agreed, need some longevity in our decisions. I don't want to see a good 22 and then we drop off again. It'd be like foreplay without sex.

I'd love to see Gagai back at the Broncos but i just dont see him leaving the Bunnies unless he is forced out.

The Cheese is the number one player i would like to see the Broncos sign.
He has that cheeky mongrel in him the broncos have been missing since the likes of Thaiday and Hodges retired.

Gamble sort of has it, but i imagine the Cheese brings a really positive attitude to both training and game day and when training is fun and there is a light hearted element to it, its far more enjoyable and you start to see magic happen.

He is a gun as well, and with some conditioning and more experience will only get better.
Bring on the Cheese for 2023 and beyond.

“In terms of fullback we’re going to be looking internally, and look to strengthen other parts of our squad moving forward.

- Dave Donaghy.

We've finally got an intelligent CEO, positive times ahead folks.

“In terms of fullback we’re going to be looking internally, and look to strengthen other parts of our squad moving forward.

- Dave Donaghy.

Ok but who’s this fullback that is such an obvious good option that a CEO would be dumb not to pick them?

I think we need some stop gaps to right the ship still. Our spine is the worst in the comp and needs a lot more than just adding Reynolds.

All the good prospects are now gone (Walsh, Dearden, etc.) or still a few years away (Mam, Cobbo, etc.).

I don't think Staggs will make it at 6... the absolute best we can likely hope for is a poor man's Wighton, except he probably can't throw cut-out balls like Wighton. But even then he's not the same type of player that Reynolds is so can he really learn how to be a game managing halfback... do we want to force game management on a running 6 (::cough:: Milf ::cough::).

The hooker we should be after is Harry Grant and he is available for 2023 (he has a mutual option for 2023), which is the same time that BSmith is available... unless we're willing to trade with the storm wanks.

A 2yr deal for SJ has him off contract end of 2023 and would represent a top 8 to top 4 halves pairing with Reynolds. By that time Mam and Cobbo will be 20-21

Although I think they will ramp up Cobbo's development and hope to get him in the team fulltime sometime next year

Probably an unpopular opinion, but i would like to stick with Isaako a bit longer and see what he can do behind Reynolds/Staggs.

Spend his entire off season working on his defense, and backing up behind the play.
and passing and kicking.

- Dave Donaghy.

Cobbo it is then !!

Another Xavier in the pipeline who looks rather promising - 17 years old, 116kg, current sparring partner to Paul Gallen 😳
E3814951 732E 4AB3 A3A9 724A1329D452

I think we need some stop gaps to right the ship still. Our spine is the worst in the comp and needs a lot more than just adding Reynolds.

All the good prospects are now gone (Walsh, Dearden, etc.) or still a few years away (Mam, Cobbo, etc.).

I don't think Staggs will make it at 6... the absolute best we can likely hope for is a poor man's Wighton, except he probably can't throw cut-out balls like Wighton. But even then he's not the same type of player that Reynolds is so can he really learn how to be a game managing halfback... do we want to force game management on a running 6 (::cough:: Milf ::cough::).

The hooker we should be after is Harry Grant and he is available for 2023 (he has a mutual option for 2023), which is the same time that BSmith is available... unless we're willing to trade with the storm wanks.

A 2yr deal for SJ has him off contract end of 2023 and would represent a top 8 to top 4 halves pairing with Reynolds. By that time Mam and Cobbo will be 20-21

Although I think they will ramp up Cobbo's development and hope to get him in the team fulltime sometime next year
I don't think anyone has said they want Staggs to be a game manager.

He will still learn from Reynolds. He will learn some kicking and decision making, but what Reynolds would be hoping is Staggs brings some ad hoc, x factor, power play into the halves role to compliment him.

I agree with you about Staggs, I think he should stay at centre and they should be considering James at 6. When you factor in the forward pack and 3 quarter line's talent at full strength and how structured the the game is now, we would get away with two organising halves. With Gamble or Billy Walters(if we do end up getting him) to slot straight in if injuries start to hit.

The thing that bugs me though is how much Turpin's game is starting to resemble McCullough's. In that they both seem more focused on the defensive side first if that makes sense. Which I actually have a horrible feeling may be (but I really hope isn't) a club mentality thing. Which is why I would personally pick Cheese over Grant, because I think he is naturally the better defender. But we shouldn't rule Paix out completely either.

I would leave Isaako at fullback for now. He is serviceable at best, but I would say so was Shane Perry in 06. Or Ben Hornby in 2010. I'm all for Cobbo coming in, but I would rather he kicked the door down and forced Isaako out...instead of Issako playing himself out temporarily and Cobbo being the best option at the time. We saw what happens when that goes wrong with Croft and Deardon.

Another Xavier in the pipeline who looks rather promising - 17 years old, 116kg, current sparring partner to Paul Gallen 😳
View attachment 13350
I was really impressed with Va'a at Allan Langer Cup level. Went toe to toe with Willison and came up with some special hits. It was like watching Chief go up against Spud just a meeting of the immovable force and the unstoppable object.

You can understand why the Broncos are looking to move on Lodge with the two Xaviers coming through.

View attachment 13349

That settles it... someone get SJ's number for the Broncos r&r team.

Apparently SJ only wants $600k for 2yrs... make it fucking happen!!
Come on Broncos, SJ will be an awesome signing.
The spine could look like
1. Cobbo
6. Johnson
7. Reynolds
9. Turpin (could still chase Hodgson if needed)

14. Turpin/ Hodgson/ B. Walters

How GOOOD. Anyone available to go into the club and spread the word WE WANT SJ ;)

I’d like to honestly hear what you thought watching Hynes tonight, @Huge ?
I've had time to watch him and he's talented alright. It is easier to be a star though if your teams on top and I can't compare him to others this early in his career and not having seen him under adverse conditions. No doubt he is a talent.

I believe a successful spine needs to be balanced. It requires a combination of a game manager, ball players, runners and support players.

Our likely spine of isaako, staggs, reynolds and turpin is not balanced. Although we now have a game manager, isaako and staggs are not known to be ball players (even ball hogs to an extent) so i dont see them creating many opportunities for their outside men. As such our game would again largely rely on individual efforts and tackle breaks again (which the better teams do not allow).

I dont see cobbo being an immediate improvement on isaako either as he too appears to be a runner only.

I really hope mam comes along quick because he could be that ball player we need in the spine. He looks like he could play similar to how cody walker plays with adam reynolds at souths now.

I would not be opposed to the herbie at fullback idea. He appears to display that desire to be highly involved in everything and has a high work rate (more metres than any other centre) which many of the elite fullbacks possess i.e. rts, paps, turbo. Yes he would need to work on things (passing game, positional play)but he could be one of those fullbacks that just continues to sniff around the ball and provides support (which our current option does not do).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • Dash
  • Aldo
  • Battler
  • Fozz
  • bb_gun
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncsgoat
  • Foordy
  • Mustafur
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Organix
  • Morkel
  • Brocko
  • westy316
  • TimWhatley
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Financeguy
  • kiwi2
  • BroncosAlways
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.