Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m starting to come around to the idea of Staggs at 6, remembering how Reynolds controls the game. My biggest concern is there is no other established kicker in the team so Reynolds kicking game could be somewhat nullified. We have to work on that.
All he needs is a decent short kick, a bomb and a good enough shoe on him to get us out of trouble if we are stuck in our own end, I don’t think it is the worst idea to try him out at 6 either it’s just some skills he needs to improve on. But if Kev hasn’t been getting him to do some of that while he has been rehabbing and more recently suspended then he’s got rocks in his head

I hate the idea of Staggs at 6, if Reynolds goes down at any point we are straight away fucked. Throw the sink at Niko, he’s a gun. His runnings always rivaled Milfords, should have kept him the first time.
Yeah but what your forgetting is that most 6’s have devastating running games. Staggs is a lot better runner of the ball than him. Niko’s obviously got a better kicking game but that can always be developed a lot easier than being as devastating a runner as Staggs. Like Nikorima isn’t that good for you all need to get your nickers in a twist. If Staggs doesn’t work I actually believe I’d rather Albert Kelly at 6 then nikorima.

I’d be prioritising these 3:
Capewell
Gagai
Su’A
Before kodi and probably even an additional experienced forward considering there is **** all chance we get finucane

That club is broken, you could list all their big signings from the past 10 years and I can't think of any of them that actually kicked on and made a difference at that club, not since their inception have they looked like a dangerous team in a finals campaign.

Nikorima would be a good signing, he's a good runner of the footy and has some creativity in his game too.

Milford, I think there's a club out there that would be prepared to take the chance on him for a 1 year deal at 350-400k. That club won't be us though with the players we are going to be paying to be playing for other teams.
Only signing I rate is Tino. He's a competitor.

Only signing I rate is Tino. He's a competitor.
I think he is extremely over rated. But at least he has a go every now and then, eventually he's gonna get pissed at the "comfortable" footy the bloke on nearly 3 x his wage is playing despite their friendship. I think overpaid-minimal effort animosity was a major contributor to the troubles we had and are still having.

They are called ball running halves, not just ball runners. Being able to throw passes and having good vision are still insanely important things. Otherwise you could put just about anyone who can run the ball strongly there. So just because Staggs can shrug off defenders doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a proper half.

I think he is extremely over rated. But at least he has a go every now and then, eventually he's gonna get pissed at the "comfortable" footy the bloke on nearly 3 x his wage is playing despite their friendship. I think overpaid-minimal effort animosity was a major contributor to the troubles we had and are still having.
Tino is only 21 so it's a bit rich to call him over rated.

Tino is only 21 so it's a bit rich to call him over rated.
Ye I remember in rugby league week magazine they used to give players under 21 automatic 10/10 scores each game bcos it wasn't fair to rate them.......

He gets hyped up in the media and by fans, does not live up to it.... it's the very definition of over rated, age is COMPLETLY irrelevant actually

Ye I remember in rugby league week magazine they used to give players under 21 automatic 10/10 scores each game bcos it wasn't fair to rate them.......

He gets hyped up in the media and by fans, does not live up to it.... it's the very definition of over rated, age is COMPLETLY irrelevant actually
He has won a premiership and played origin. I would say the hype is real.
Are you wanting him to run 250 metres a game score 3 tries, 10 tackle busts, 45 tackles and none missed to meet your standards?

They are called ball running halves, not just ball runners. Being able to throw passes and having good vision are still insanely important things. Otherwise you could put just about anyone who can run the ball strongly there. So just because Staggs can shrug off defenders doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a proper half.
Do we have anyone in the team who can run and pass a ball at the same time?

He's pretty awesome man, what don't you rate about him?

He has won a premiership and played origin. I would say the hype is real.
Are you wanting him to run 250 metres a game score 3 tries, 10 tackle busts, 45 tackles and none missed to meet your standards?
The old "he's won a premiership" argument.... Sean rudder, Shane Perry, Harvey Howard, Matt prior, Jamie burher.... they all deserve the same hype then? At least they were on the starting team if that's the criteria for pages and pages of hype lol And yes he played origin, that's a great achievement but wasn't last year's QLD team justifiably called among the worst we had EVER put together due to injuries and recent etirements?
Hardly justifies the massive amount of media and fans talking him up as the maroons enforcer to dominate the middle and nsw for the next decade and drag titans into a premiership force with the best forward pack together with David fifita lol... it's not about "pleasing" me, not being over rated would mean him justifying that hype week after week, he hasn't and he won't. He,'ll have the odd great game but he will not be dominating origin for the next decade or be linchpin in a dominant titans pack for the next 10 years.

The old "he's won a premiership" argument.... Sean rudder, Shane Perry, Harvey Howard, Matt prior, Jamie burher.... they all deserve the same hype then? At least they were on the starting team if that's the criteria for pages and pages of hype lol And yes he played origin, that's a great achievement but wasn't last year's QLD team justifiably called among the worst we had EVER put together due to injuries and recent etirements?
Hardly justifies the massive amount of media and fans talking him up as the maroons enforcer to dominate the middle and nsw for the next decade and drag titans into a premiership force with the best forward pack together with David fifita lol... it's not about "pleasing" me, over rated would mean him justifying that hype week after week, he hasn't and he won't. He,'ll have the odd great game but he will not be dominating origin for the next decade or be linchpin in a dominant titans pack for the next 10 years.
Take a photo of this and remind yourself in a few years just how good this kid becomes.

Take a photo of this and remind yourself in a few years just how good this kid becomes.
Wow.... if my life ever gets to that level of reflection I'm not sure I'd have the motivation to turn on a computer tbh lol...

He's pretty awesome man, what don't you rate about him?
There's a reason Melbourne kept him on the bench. He is a dynamic player, not an 80 minute, or even 60 minute player. This might get better, he definetly has the motor but he goes missing for large chunks, particularly defensively. And is he an enforcer or a player with an engine in the middle, has not quite dominant in either. And if he's not quite there with either but not a ball playing lock and doesn't stay in the 80 minutes then.... let me put it this way, if he wasn't the size he is, would he be in 1set grade? Not saying he is bad , I think he's really good, but the hype he got last year after origin and signing for the titans was INSANE. I know I go on about it but rookies get hyped up all the time and about 1/10 live up to the hype given by media and fans yet people say "this one's different" yet look at where we find ourselves with our rookie dream team. Maybe tino is different, I'm honestly not ruling that out, but the results of the titans and the performance last origin aren't making me think he's the 1/10 yet.

There's a reason Melbourne kept him on the bench. He is a dynamic player, not an 80 minute, or even 60 minute player. This might get better, he definetly has the motor but he goes missing for large chunks, particularly defensively. And is he an enforcer or a player with an engine in the middle, has not quite dominant in either. And if he's not quite there with either but not a ball playing lock and doesn't stay in the 80 minutes then.... let me put it this way, if he wasn't the size he is, would he be in 1set grade? Not saying he is bad , I think he's really good, but the hype he got last year after origin and signing for the titans was INSANE. I know I go on about it but rookies get hyped up all the time and about 1/10 live up to the hype given by media and fans yet people say "this one's different" yet look at where we find ourselves with our rookie dream team. Maybe tino is different, I'm honestly not ruling that out, but the results of the titans and the performance last origin aren't making me think he's the 1/10 yet.
I rate big Tino, I think he's one of the few signings Titans have got right. Don't get me wrong, it was a big gamble, they basically signed him before he'd played a handful of games. I think he has better output than Fifita for 60% of his wage but I understand that's a low bar.

But I do get your point about the vast majority of juniors being nothing but hype that can't perform week to week.

I rate big Tino, I think he's one of the few signings Titans have got right. Don't get me wrong, it was a big gamble, they basically signed him before he'd played a handful of games. I think he has better output than Fifita for 60% of his wage but I understand that's a low bar.

But I do get your point about the vast majority of juniors being nothing but hype that can't perform week to week.
I don't think he's bad, has just not what was being made out in the media.
I've got caught up in the rookie/young player hype many many many times before, it's impossible not to. However, the reults of the gun Broncos rookies team have made me more aware of it. But I do think it's funny that every single time every single one is the next big thing and is different to the rest simply because of some highlight reel stuff and their age is used a s a justification of their faults "they'll fix (insert bad game/error/weakness here) because they are only (insert age under 23 here)". How do we know that it will be fixed? Haha I could give far more examples where it was an ongoing weakness then it got fixed. Far far far more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • GCBRONCO
  • ivanhungryjak
  • pennywisealfie
  • kiwibronco
  • ChewThePhatt
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Fitzy
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • heartly87
  • Galah
  • Wolfie
  • BooKhaki
  • Allo
  • Johnny92
  • kiwi2
  • Broncorob
  • porouian
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.