Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say give him a chance, especially back end of this season, there is nothing to lose doing so. If he fails, put your mum there next year. If he succeeds, we have a big point of difference to many other teams.

I think one of the bigger issues with playing Staggs at 6 is that he is a predominantly right sided player and a lot of his weapons are suited to the right side. However, Reynolds has been a right side half his whole career.

So who gets the right side half spot?

I would think Reynolds gets it mainly because of his kicking game. I believe it is generally preferred for a right footer to be kicking from the right side of the field, so given how important Reynolds' kicking game will be for the team I think it is a must for him to be on the right.

But whatever the decision on left or right for the halves there will be some sort of negative impact on whoever then has to play the left. I don't think we can have that sort of uncertainty or detrimental impact on our players, because we are just not in a position squad wise to be taking unnecessary risks... especially ones that could result in chopping and changing throughout the year.

Staggs is a dominant right center, play him there and work on ways to get him the ball

Reynolds is a right sided half with dominant kicking game... play him in his preferred right sided position and give him a qualified 5/8 to work with
I’d hope we’d have halves playing both sides, Staggs wrapping around from the left on a backline sweep yo the right would be dangerous

I dont see him succeeding there at all. People hold onto this game he played for Tonga as an example of why he could succeed but i dont see it. I dont see him having anything i'd want from a half tbh. I reckon he will come in and do well at the start because he offers something different and he is competitive, and people will get carried away with it ( a bit like Gamble ) but the more he plays there the more his deficiencies will show. His strength is his power and pace running on an edge. I've said it before, but he isnt going to get that kind of room as regularly at 6, and he is going to have a lot more traffic running at him and a lot more defence at 6 to contend with. Its going to dull his game unless we are dominating games. He is going to have to change his game a lot to be a success.

Actually thinking about it, and just to quote your same post for a third time, if Kevvie is wanting to figure out how to get Staggs more involved in the play he just needs to look at how Turbo played for NSW in game 1.

Turbo basically played as a 2nd fullback even though his default position was right center and the warriors have been trying to figure out how to play with two fullbacks when you watch Walsh and RTS playing... I believe in Walsh's first game RTS basically setup at 6 and the 5/8 onwards all shifted out one (I think Murchie was named at 6 in that game, which should've been a give away from the get go).

For us next year right center is actually the best position to try and adapt as a floating player in attack and we could actually setup in a similar fashion to NSW and the rabbits anyway.

Cleary effectively plays middle of the field with Luai on the left, which could've left Turbo planted at right center getting very little ball; however Turbo rectified this by heading infield and basically playing more fullback than Teddy, with Teddy plugging into the right side whenever Turbo went infield. Reynolds already plays that role for the rabbits with their right side getting very little ball, unless Cody and Latrell head over to that side, so Staggs could quite easily float around the field as a second fullback from right center next year.

This works for the broncos in a couple ways.

Staggs can play right center as a default, but can freely roam to the middle of the field or inject himself into the sweeping plays as needed. With Staggs still being the right center we don't lose his damaging ball running and ability to dominate his opposite number 1v1.

Niu is looking like being the fullback next year (unless we recruit one), but in this system the fullback can just focus on doing all the kick returns and support play through the middle, which should suit Niu... or plug into the right side when Staggs floats around the field.

Capewell (if we end up getting him) is also a very good second rower to have in that situation given he is mobile enough to shift over to right center if Staggs does head infield and we want to shift to the right.

Five eight in that system is required to own the left side attack, which could quite easily be filled by Albert who is a smart footy player.

It will take a lot of coaching to get that sort of system working on a weekly basis and to keep it fresh throughout the year so defences can't load up, but it does put less onus on Staggs to be a creative playmaker at 6, whilst still giving him flexibility to inject himself across the field.

I think Kevvie is reasonably smart as an attacking coach and could get things working, but Staggs and Niu are nowhere near as smart as Turbo and Teddy to know how to position themselves across the field and prevent overcrowding, but with that kind of system you could run with a backline of:

1. Niu (needs to float between traditional fullback, but also plug into the right side when Staggs is floating)
2. Cobbo (left side)
3. Gagai (left side)
4. Staggs (right side and allowed to float)
5. Mead (just need a solid right sided winger that can communicate with the right sided 2nd rower and fullback to know when Staggs is off floating)
6. Kelly (left side)
7. Reynolds (middle and primary link man in the backline)

I’d hope we’d have halves playing both sides, Staggs wrapping around from the left on a backline sweep yo the right would be dangerous
I think Kevvie likes his halves and fullbacks to play that way, but it's a complete unknown if Staggs can do that... he's not really given off any indication that he's Cody Walker hiding in a center's body.

We do know that Albert can play both sides and Kevvie has shown that he wants his 1, 6 and 7 linking up in attacking moves, because Milf wrapped around in attacking plays against titans and Isaako mentioned specifically in an interview that they were happy about the 3 of them linking up after that game, which means it's something they work on at training.

The issue has primarily been about an inability to build pressure and actually having any sort of field position to show off our attacking structures.

When the topic of the spine comes up does it include/ overlook a forward? I just read that Billy Slater and Dallas Johnson both debuted and reached 150 matches in the same games. That would mean Melbourne's spine in those early years could of actually been:

1. Slater
7. Cronk
9. C.Smith
13. Johnson
With Ryan Hoffman stepping in after Johnson left.

Especially when you look at who they had in the 6 jersey prior to Munster. In 2006, it was Scott Hill's last NRL season, 2007 was when they tried Inglis there, 2009 they had Finch and in 2012 they had Widdop.

It's interesting to say the least. We have been lead to believe that all playmakers are in the spine, but what if they actually aren't? What if a playmaker can just be a role player and a Forward could be in the spine?

If we built a spine off Staggs, it would mean 1. Farnworth, 6. Staggs, 8. Carrigan, 10 Hass. As they are all roughly the same age and amount of games played. With Reynolds effectively being a mentor.

If you go off of Niu, it looks like
1. Niu, 9. Paix, 13. Robati as a mobile prop. Hold on to Kelly as 5/8th and develop a young halves pairing to succeed Kelly and Reynolds in 3 years. Let Kelly and Reynolds take all the pressure and leave Staggs and Farnworth in the 3 quarter line.

But if you go off Reynolds, somehow bring in Hodgson and Capewell, and hold on to Kelly. It's 6. Kelly, 7. Reynolds, 9. Hodgson, 13. Capewell. It's a fast fix, but I fear we will always be paying overs for playmakers if we want our pack to succeed.

Bellamy didn't have the luxury of the Broncos development system when he took over in Melbourne. Will be interesting to see what Ikin is thinking, short term survival or long term dominance.

One thing I do like about the modern game is the return of the ball playing 13. @Emanon has highlighted something, the 13 is part of the spine. The linkman between the forwards and backs. I hated how they turned the role into a third prop, so boring. Its vital part of the puzzle for us and an area we are totally lacking in.

For me if we are playing Staggs at 5/8 we need a 13 that can ball play, ala Jason/Darren Smith and Kev Campion. Asiata seems to be physically not up to the game anymore so the Broncos need to manufacture or buy one. Capewell could work or putting a bit of muscle on Gamble could be worth a shot. Anyone with any know, is there somebody else who could come in and be that role for us who we already have in the system.

One thing I do like about the modern game is the return of the ball playing 13. @Emanon has highlighted something, the 13 is part of the spine. The linkman between the forwards and backs. I hated how they turned the role into a third prop, so boring. Its vital part of the puzzle for us and an area we are totally lacking in.

For me if we are playing Staggs at 5/8 we need a 13 that can ball play, ala Jason/Darren Smith and Kev Campion. Asiata seems to be physically not up to the game anymore so the Broncos need to manufacture or buy one. Capewell could work or putting a bit of muscle on Gamble could be worth a shot. Anyone with any know, is there somebody else who could come in and be that role for us who we already have in the system.

Not in our system, and i think he is a bit of a dickhead for some reason i cant explain, but Tyrone Peachy is an off contract player who could fill that role.

Not in our system, and i think he is a bit of a dickhead for some reason i cant explain, but Tyrone Peachy is an off contract player who could fill that role.
I would agree, not really a good defender either. We need somebody that can be good on and off the ball. Plus agree he gives me dickhead vibes also.

Its a safe bet he coming to the Broncos.
Well playing for a shitty qld team is a good warm up/introduction to playing for shitty broncos team for him should he sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncos Maestro
  • Morkel
  • thenry
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • Redux
  • Harry Sack
  • broncsgoat
  • HarryAllan7
  • BroncosAlways
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Manifesto
  • Wild Horse
  • Ffs...
  • Sproj
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosgirl
  • Astro
  • FACTHUNT
  • kiwi2
... and 22 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.