Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can tell he's not quite elite just yet, because he's not dominating origin.... so it's not like he's an elite player that's stuck with a seriously shit team (which the broncos are), but he's been in an elite NSW team and not really representing a dominant player for them.

I'd say he's probably only keeping his spot because of his potential and the blues probably want him to be in and around that environment.

He could be seriously good with his footwork, but he needs to work on finding his front for the quick ptb. He's also always got the arm free so he should definitely be looking to develop an offload.

The broncos as a whole also need to learn to use him better close to the line, in the same way Storm use NAS and Tino last year, and the way knights use the Saif brothers.

You either use him to generate the quick ptb inside the 20m and have everyone else work off the back of it i.e. the Cam Murray, BSmith run. Or you have Haas lined up as the man after a quick ptb to be a genuine try scoring threat or put questions in the defence's mind, which is the NAS, Tino run.

In defence that is a mentality thing, but Lolo isn't an enforcer in defence so potentially Haas doesn't need to be either. AFB, Paulo and other props like that aren't really enforcers in defence either. They can put a big shot on if needed, but that seems to be more about their general size and solid technique that ends up rattling the ball runner.

If he wasnt on so much money, i'd have said Klemmer as the Knights appear to want to move him on. Apart from that i', not sure who is gettable.
I think they'll just try and develop Flegler into that enforcer role... he's far too inconsistent, and potentially not fit enough, but he is currently that guy that likes to come out of the line and put some shots on.

If Flegler can get his shit together then he has the makings to be a solid player for us... he could basically be a far better and more mobile Napa.

The other one that is somewhat forgotten about is Carrigan... I think he puts on some really good 1v1 shots. When he's fresh he likes to lead the defensive line for us, along with Turps, and puts on good front on body shots. He doesn't come in and cut blokes in half like Turps, but the big front on shots that just drop blokes are worth it as well. With his good upper body strength hopefully he becomes the Cam Smith type defender that wraps up the top 1v1 whilst the other guys come in to finish them off.

It all comes down to rotating these young guys so they don't get overworked during the game.

With Lodge and TPJ gone, Kevvie will be forced to rely on Riki, Bullemor, etc. so I guess the future starts as of today and we get to see if Kevvie can learn to rotate them properly and whether these young guys have the potential to form the core of our pack moving forward.

I think they'll just try and develop Flegler into that enforcer role... he's far too inconsistent, and potentially not fit enough, but he is currently that guy that likes to come out of the line and put some shots on.

If Flegler can get his shit together then he has the makings to be a solid player for us... he could basically be a far better and more mobile Napa.

The other one that is somewhat forgotten about is Carrigan... I think he puts on some really good 1v1 shots. When he's fresh he likes to lead the defensive line for us, along with Turps, and puts on good front on body shots. He doesn't come in and cut blokes in half like Turps, but the big front on shots that just drop blokes are worth it as well. With his good upper body strength hopefully he becomes the Cam Smith type defender that wraps up the top 1v1 whilst the other guys come in to finish them off.

It all comes down to rotating these young guys so they don't get overworked during the game.

With Lodge and TPJ gone, Kevvie will be forced to rely on Riki, Bullemor, etc. so I guess the future starts as of today and we get to see if Kevvie can learn to rotate them properly and whether these young guys have the potential to form the core of our pack moving forward.

I'm back on the Flegler train now that the CM have fucked up all their previous reporting on his value (previously reporting on many occasions to being on a 600k per year contract) when they revealed over the last 2 days that he is on less than $423k a year (number 100's value on their rich list that Flegler wasn't on).

a 400k or less a season contract for Flegler isn't too bad

I'm back on the Flegler train now that the CM have fucked up all their previous reporting on his value (previously reporting on many occasions to being on a 600k per year contract) when they revealed over the last 2 days that he is on less than $423k a year (number 100's value on their rich list that Flegler wasn't on).

Which is what most expected... or maybe only some expected... so they either fucked up or deliberately misreported the $650k contract.

I suspect the $650k was the total over 2yr, and his most recent extension was again misreported and likely just ends up being $400-$450k a year.

What a joke that is eh!

I’m with you on flegs now also, once I noticed he wasn’t there on the rich list and being paid more in line for what he offers and has room to grow. The talent can’t be ignored, if he gets consistency, he’ll be a great player.

I'd say he's probably only keeping his spot because of his potential and the blues probably want him to be in and around that environment.
I kind of agree with most of the rest, although you chuck any prop in the game into our team and they would look far worse then he does. He has no support whatsoever.

But this quote you made above is massively wrong. He didn't dominate but his impact off the bench completly demoralised the QLD middle. He was huge for them, especially the 1st game. If anything, he cemented his spot this year as a near automatic selection for next year.

I kind of agree with most of the rest, although you chuck any prop in the game into our team and they would look far worse then he does. He has no support whatsoever.

But this quote you made above is massively wrong. He didn't dominate but his impact off the bench completly demoralised the QLD middle. He was huge for them, especially the 1st game. If anything, he cemented his spot this year as a near automatic selection for next year.
Maybe.. to be honest I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention and basically just had it going in the background. I guess my memory of the game was more that I didn't really notice him as playing the key role in the lead up to some of their tries, etc.

He was just going about his business making his meters, but he does that at club level. It didn't really jump out to me that he had gone to that next level despite the talent that he was playing with.

View attachment 13900

From the off contract forwards I would be most interested in:
- Finucane ... reckon you could get him for $600k, but wouldn't want to go too long
- Tolman ... workhorse prop, know what you're going to get, would likely be cheap. Does a fair bit of clean up defence in the middle
- Woods ... pending an earlier comment about his knee. I would say he is the similar mold as Tolman, but slightly better. May not be as mobile in the middle defence
- Asiata ... would propose to keep on a very cheap deal and see how he goes after the surgery

Might also be interested in Lui, but he's not really an experienced forward. He does fit that mobile middle forward that you seem to need nowadays.
There's a kid from Cronulla on there that would be a decent young prop, Samuel Hughes. Not sure why he doesn't have a contract yet. 112kg, 21 pretty athletic.

Ive refrained from saying this for a long time as it can be viewed as racist/stereotyping..... but Penrith went through a very similar thing a decade + ago.

When you sign a certain culture of players and their backgrounds, you end up with a lot of inconsistent players who are prone to poor discipline and inconsistent performances. The talent and highs are great, but the day to day attitude sucks and bites you in the ass. I feel the club has made a lot of wrong decisions in this area.

Maybe.. to be honest I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention and basically just had it going in the background. I guess my memory of the game was more that I didn't really notice him as playing the key role in the lead up to some of their tries, etc.

He was just going about his business making his meters, but he does that at club level. It didn't really jump out to me that he had gone to that next level despite the talent that he was playing with.
He was awesome in origin, he came on and absolutely steamrolled up the middle and gave NSW a big momentum shift. He's automatic selection for next year and I think he'll be automatic selection for the Aus team.

Just imagine if Haas was a Melbourne player. They would actually coach his weaknesses out. Haas as it stands is a freak but just hasn't had the coaching support to elevate his game.

Hopefully Parker coming in as a full time assistant can help him develop. He needs to add an offload and finding his front is something he can learn with good coaching.

If Flegler is on 400k, he is also a perfect example of someone who can be coached to be a really good prop but he's just not getting better.

We can only hope with Walters now focussed purely on coaching and Parker in full-time that some of these players can get quality 1 on 1 plans and actually improve their games.

It's a blight on our club how every single player has come in but hasn't really improved at all. In fact I'd say almost all have went backwards since their first game.

Ive refrained from saying this for a long time as it can be viewed as racist/stereotyping..... but Penrith went through a very similar thing a decade + ago.

When you sign a certain culture of players and their backgrounds, you end up with a lot of inconsistent players who are prone to poor discipline and inconsistent performances. The talent and highs are great, but the day to day attitude sucks and bites you in the ass. I feel the club has made a lot of wrong decisions in this area.
you are 100 percent correct, its not racist a lot of these guys with Samoan/Tongan heritage are some of the most talented players but their work rates are terrible and it seems some of them enjoy the NRL superstar life and not the day to day hard work side. It seems we are going away from that with some of the off loading of players like TPJ, etc

Please explain.

Please explain.
Is this a please explain I don’t like what you just said or please explain I don’t understand what you said cause that is not racist what so ever, harsh to some that do work hard but in the end it is quite a common thing that happens and he came about it very respectfully so if you are having a go I will advise not to, however if you just didn’t understand I do apologise. I just thought I’d get that out of the way before the forum possibly turns sour after a great afternoon for a lot of us.

Is this a please explain I don’t like what you just said or please explain I don’t understand what you said cause that is not racist what so ever, harsh to some that do work hard but in the end it is quite a common thing that happens and he came about it very respectfully so if you are having a go I will advise not to, however if you just didn’t understand I do apologise. I just thought I’d get that out of the way before the forum possibly turns sour after a great afternoon for a lot of us.
I was wanting more detail on which group he was mentioning but someone already answered. I don’t actually agree though, islanders work hard but maybe genetically aren’t as fit cardio wise? I could be wrong.

I was wanting more detail on which group he was mentioning but someone already answered. I don’t actually agree though, islanders work hard but maybe genetically aren’t as fit cardio wise? I could be wrong.

In the good old days of the maccas cards, i can say i know for a fact that a certain islander on our books ( not the million dollar half either ) used to go around and hit up 5 or 6 maccas a day to spend his $20 a day limit at different stores as the $20 was only per store. I dont think its racist to say they like their food any more than people used to level the same thing at the Coaltrain.

Turpin is mates with Ponga - sure you're not thinking of Croft? Ponga, Croft, Su'a and Perese were Churchie first XV teammates.
think he was meaning if we were to sign Watson, we could lure ponga as they are best mates and Watson would be good cover for turpin

In the good old days of the maccas cards, i can say i know for a fact that a certain islander on our books ( not the million dollar half either ) used to go around and hit up 5 or 6 maccas a day to spend his $20 a day limit at different stores as the $20 was only per store. I dont think its racist to say they like their food any more than people used to level the same thing at the Coaltrain.
It’s not just the food. They come from paradise.

7D86B980 FE2B 4289 AF3C 581FD3B9BAAF

6AD90695 2297 42B0 B186 094FF7501BA6

0024C63D A1E3 41A0 A93F E717C01C5352

if I grew up here I wouldn’t want to work either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Dash
  • mitch222
  • leon.bott
  • Manlyman
  • MrRobot
  • Financeguy
  • Rambstien
  • Maroon4life
  • MrTickyMcG
  • broncsgoat
  • kman
  • Fatboy
  • Dazza 92
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncomax
  • Sproj
  • mrslong
  • broncos4life
  • BroncosFan_Corey
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.