Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Can we seriously keep this realistic like skip the crap about getting Brandon smith and Harry Grant. It’s unlikely to happen in the first place let alone anytime soon. I actually even think Hodgson is so unlikely it’s not even funny. This is the one spot we have to get very, very creative to fill and it might have to be taking a gamble on a backup hooker

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Can we seriously keep this realistic like skip the crap about getting Brandon smith and Harry Grant. It’s unlikely to happen in the first place let alone anytime soon. I actually even think Hodgson is so unlikely it’s not even funny. This is the one spot we have to get very, very creative to fill and it might have to be taking a gamble on a backup hooker

It is a perfectly legitimate discussion and it should continue if people want it to. Especially because B.Smith IS gettable. If you don't like it you can easily stay out of it.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
They’re both approachable as of November and one of them will leave. Storm just quietly signed another project in the form of a hooker. Looks to me like they’ve resigned to losing one already.

No reason it can’t be us, especially with how much cap will be free at the end of ‘22.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
True, but if someone said twelve months ago, let’s have a chop at Adam Reynolds, you would have thought that’d be unrealistic as well.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
If we're going hard for a 9 it should be Grant. He is absolutely elite and everything you'd want in a 9.

We should be offering Grant 1M X 4 years. If nothing else Melbourne should pay out of their arses to keep him. They target our juniors we developed, we should reply in kind.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
BSmith could be a 2 horse race in 2022/23 (3 if Brisbane Plastics get the go ahead, but that's starting to look a bit shaky).

Apparently his family have moved to SEQ and he wants to head to SEQ as well... might want to make the move after spending most of last year on the Sunny Coast instead dreary Melbourne.

Grant would be much harder to pry away, only because the storm will absolutely prioritise his signature. I daresay it will be a higher priority than Munster when 2023 rolls around.

Paps could even be prioritised over Munster when you consider that Hughes is killing it for them in the halves.

I'd say Harry is already the best 9 in the game and he very well could become the best player in the game in a few years. Storm will have a ton of cash saved up for him, and about the only thing that could get him out is if they have a lull after Bellamy and/or him just wanting to get out of Victoria.

We could very well go after BSmith and Munster for 2023 if we save our pennies correctly.

Brisbane Plastics are a threat for Munster given some of them have already floated it out there... if the plastics get deferred to 2024 and Munster signs a 12 month extension that could be the writing on the wall for us getting him (unless he wants a bidding war), but Munster would be a huge, and possible, get for us.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
Turpin still has growth in his game. He could get right up there honestly, his defense is great and he is a big cog in the spirit of this team. He has shown offensive ability in spurts, just needs the belief and I feel we will be more then happy with him. Cooke for a long time early Souths and at Dogs was just a solid defender and a bloke with some off the mark go. He developed into a fine Hooker with more tools in his bag. Teams need guys like Turpin, in saying that Smith is very similar in what he brings in the team spirit side of things, but would come at a much higher price tag.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
People question why folau
BSmith could be a 2 horse race in 2022/23 (3 if Brisbane Plastics get the go ahead, but that's starting to look a bit shaky).

Apparently his family have moved to SEQ and he wants to head to SEQ as well... might want to make the move after spending most of last year on the Sunny Coast instead dreary Melbourne.

Grant would be much harder to pry away, only because the storm will absolutely prioritise his signature. I daresay it will be a higher priority than Munster when 2023 rolls around.

Paps could even be prioritised over Munster when you consider that Hughes is killing it for them in the halves.

I'd say Harry is already the best 9 in the game and he very well could become the best player in the game in a few years. Storm will have a ton of cash saved up for him, and about the only thing that could get him out is if they have a lull after Bellamy and/or him just wanting to get out of Victoria.

We could very well go after BSmith and Munster for 2023 if we save our pennies correctly.

Brisbane Plastics are a threat for Munster given some of them have already floated it out there... if the plastics get deferred to 2024 and Munster signs a 12 month extension that could be the writing on the wall for us getting him (unless he wants a bidding war), but Munster would be a huge, and possible, get for us.
I think paps and grant will be melbourne's priorities and munster will probably take the cash from the new team.

B.smith could be gettable and would be really good for our team moral, but he is very close to bellamy and may stay if they can find decent coin for him and bellamy maintains a role in the club.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
People question why folau

I think paps and grant will be melbourne's priorities and munster will probably take the cash from the new team.

B.smith could be gettable and would be really good for our team moral, but he is very close to bellamy and may stay if they can find decent coin for him and bellamy maintains a role in the club.
BSmith may stay for 2022, but he ain't going to be there for 2023.

I think if Melbourne win the comp this year, BSmith's manager will push for an early release over the off season and Melbourne very well could give it to him.

I don't think he's on a very big contract so there's not a whole lot to be gained for releasing him early, but no team is willing to trade with them, and them holding onto BSmith just starts to hinder his career, which could be a negative hit to their reputation... especially if his manager starts ramping up the pressure in the media.

I'm hoping the broncos keep a bit of cash set aside should he come onto the market, otherwise it will be easy pickings for the titans... it could be one reason why we are cooling on Hodgson.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021

Grant also has a mutual option for 23 and was in talks before origin with them but has put it on the back burner til after the series now so I'd say he's there number 1 priority. and as you said Smith wants to move to south east Queensland. Wonder what kind of relationships DD had with the players down there could also work alot in our favour.. its definitely not unrealistic its more of a chance than what we had of getting reynolds and look what happened there

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Grant also has a mutual option for 23 and was in talks before origin with them but has put it on the back burner til after the series now so I'd say he's there number 1 priority. and as you said Smith wants to move to south east Queensland. Wonder what kind of relationships DD had with the players down there could also work alot in our favour.. its definitely not unrealistic its more of a chance than what we had of getting reynolds and look what happened there
I feel like we are making the right moves in the back office.

The storm guys will know that DD is a smooth operator and Ikin talked a good game on 360 so if he can translate that to selling the club and the future they're looking to build then DD and Ikin could prove to be a potent combo on the R&R side of things.

Walters is a bit of an unknown from a tactical perspective based on his on screen persona... so hopefully we start to see an uptick with on field performances, because you can't just sell emotion and pride to players outside the squad. You also need to be able to sell a vision and game plan... maybe Reynolds will assist on that front.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021

The storm guys will know that DD is a smooth operator and Ikin talked a good game on 360 so if he can translate that to selling the club and the future they're looking to build then DD and Ikin could prove to be a potent combo on the R&R side of things.

Walters is a bit of an unknown from a tactical perspective based on his on screen persona... so hopefully we start to see an uptick with on field performances, because you can't just sell emotion and pride to players outside the squad. You also need to be able to sell a vision and game plan... maybe Reynolds will assist on that front.
Totally agree
Heard reynolds saying in a interview that him and kevvie have been bouncing ideas off each other for next year he'll have a massive input.
From the panthers game the game plan we had was perfect just didn't have that player to ice the game that's where reynolds comes in and we win that, the roosters game there was a game plan there and it worked the more wins we get the more confident the boys will get that things are working.
Ikin will get things done he'd have some good connections throughout the game from his previous roles but were moving in the right direction

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015

They need to bring in more big name support for Kev, let someone else focus on tactics and let Kev handle the team, culture and overall plan for where they need to be in 6 months. They can sell that to potential players in that the support crew around Walters being first rate may nullify concerns around his limited coaching capabilities.

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
As much of an idiot as he may be, I'm just going to say it.

It won't happen but Vaughan wouldn't be the worst signing, hopefully would come cheap if his contract gets torn up, and you just know that it's something the Roosters and co in Sydney are waiting to pounce on.

For once I'd love us to be that club that swoops in on a situation like this, but again it won't happen.

His motor and output alongside Haas would be the go forward we could play off the back of for sure.
However his attitude and discipline seem to be what we are trying to cull from the club, so maybe that outweighs the pros.

Sirlee oldman

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Dec 6, 2015
This thread highlights the difficulty in managing a roster. We have a quality halfback coming and we seem determined to gamble on Staggs at 6. Personally I’m happy with that but I acknowledge that it is a risk. So that leaves hooker and fullback as critical positions to fill with the best players we can.
I like Turpin. He’s a tackle bot upgrade from Macca because he hits harder and is prettier. And there’s still hope that he can improve his attacking game. Surely if we spend money on a hooker then they need to be clearly better than him. That means if we can’t get Smith or possibly Hodgson at market value then we stay all in on Turpin until we develop someone better.
It’s a similar situation with Niu at fullback. Who is available that is better? Dufty is available and reasonably priced but is he better? I like Cobbo as a footballer but only the staff would really know if or when he will be a top 8 fullback. Isaako is not an option.
What I am saying is that in the past our staff have made judgement calls that have proven to be wrong. None of us have access to enough information to make definitive calls on the roster. All we can do is hope that the new staff have better judgement and resist the temptation to pay overs for a potential quick fix and if they can’t get an established player then be patient and do better at developing the players we need.
Fixing the culture and attitude of the group will give an immediate boost until we are able to improve the quality of our squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.